5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!
Published 19 months ago by Paulette

2.0 out of 5 stars Warm, fuzzy devotions.
Published on Dec 15 2011 by Chelsey

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, Sept. 9 2012
This little book is a life changer!! If you crave a deeper, more intimate, closer walk with Jesus - well, you need to look no further. I have read book after book, devotional after devotional but this little book made my heart leap at every page - it always felt like Jesus was right there, so so close - it will change your heart. The anointing on this book is tangible. If I were to recommend a devotional book - this is it!! I have handed out about 6 or 7 so far. Buy it and be blessed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what is missing in most devotional writing., April 20 2011
My friend got me this as a gift and at first I was thinking, "Oh great, another devotional on how to do better". I'm pleasantly surprised. More than focusing on little character traits to work on and perfect, it encourages you to reflect more on the relationship with Jesus that will bring about a plethora of desireable character changes. True inner peace and a real love for our neighbours and genuine devotion to God do not come from step by step instructions on how to make yourself a better person. We are powerless to do that. I think that was Jesus' message to us. We are incapable of making ourselves good enough. That's why He came and loved us enough to make the ultimate sacrifice. In my opinion much of Christian literature is too silent on that. We don't need more books to tell us how to be a better Christian, we need Jesus to guide us. And we'll never get to a place where He is able to do that if we don't look to Him and dwell on His love for us and commune with Him. It's all about relationship with Him, and that is where the "doing" is birthed. Not the other way around. For anyone who is weary of this world and finding no comfort in our Christian self-help manuals, this devotional could help to lead you to the knowledge of Christ's eternal and complete love for you which will bring about lasting peace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jesus Calling - Deluxe edition, Feb. 10 2013
this is the best, most compelling, most insightful collection of devotional studies I have ever seen. I love the tactile feel of this edition. I have given several as gifts, and all have been equally appreciated. Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Warm, fuzzy devotions., Dec 15 2011
Chelsey (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
A little while ago I received an opportunity to review Jesus Calling by Sarah Young. I took a look at the book on Amazon and decided it didn't really seem like my thing, so I was going to turn the opportunity down until I overheard a fellow mom blogger on twitter say that her favourite thing that she got from Relevant '10 was her 'Jesus Calling' devotional book that she still used daily. So I decided to check it out.

'Jesus Calling' is a daily devotional book written from Jesus point of view. Each day has a short devotional accompanied by scripture, and the book is small enough that it is the perfect size to take with you anywhere. The devotions are encouraging and will fill you with a peace as you go about your day. I would say this book is for anyone who is looking for a warm, fuzzy pick me up to start their day with, and will likely be something that I will lean on when my third baby arrives in January. Quick, encouraging, pre-planned devotionals ' perfect for when you don't have a ton of time for an in-depth study but don't want to miss out on daily time with the Lord.

Book has been provided courtesy of Thomas Nelson and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Thomas Nelson.

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't recommend this one, March 28 2014
The content of this devotional book is, overall, theologically sound and biblical. I appreciate her mention of God’s sovereignty in our trials, the need to forsake idols and make Jesus our soul’s satisfaction, and the promise of the Lord’s presence and peace throughout all of life’s difficulties.

On the other hand, I’m not a fan of the “I’m all around you, like a cocoon of Light,” and “I am like a supersaturated cloud, showering Peace into the pool of your mind,” kind of language that is found throughout the book. It just doesn’t sound much like the Jesus of Scripture. Furthermore, the Jesus portrayed in Young’s book doesn’t tell me to do much more than “Relax, let go, and enjoy my presence.” It’s not that Jesus doesn’t ever say anything like this in the Gospels. He does, sort of (see Matthew 6:25-34, 11:28-30). But the Jesus of the Gospels says so much more than this. He is so much more wise, unpredictable, and untameable than the version of Jesus that Young portrays.

I wouldn’t be so critical if Young had presented these devotionals as her own words about Jesus, but the fact that they are presented as Jesus’ words to her invites this kind of scrutiny. This is my biggest concern about the book. Young claims that these 365 devotionals are messages that she has received directly from Jesus. Furthermore, they have been published as messages from Jesus to all who read them. Even though Young says in the introduction that “the Bible is, of course, the only inerrant Word of God” (P. xiii), by writing each of these devotionals in the first person (Jesus refers to himself as “I”) instead of in the third person (referring to Jesus as “he”), she is, in effect, attributing divine authority to these words. This puts the reader in a difficult situation. If these are in fact Jesus’ words, then they are new revelation that must be received and obeyed. If they aren’t Jesus’ words, then this book is potentially misleading and dangerous.

I wish Young had provided another option. She could have simply written the devotionals in the third person (“he” instead of “I”) or at the very least provided a disclaimer such as, “I’m writing this from Jesus’ perspective as a rhetorical device,” or “these devotionals are what I believe he has said to me as I spend time in his word.” In that case, the reader would be encouraged to weigh and test and sift the contents of the book as one does with any other Christian book, sermon or prophetic “word from the Lord” (yes, I believe in those). But Young hasn’t given us this option, and, on that basis, I don’t recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Restores love., Nov. 28 2013
I've had my faith crushed in the past, and this book was the tool I used to help restore it. The best daily guidance book I've used to date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Jesus speaking to me personally, Oct. 17 2012
On the bus this morning I sat beside an old tailor, on his way to his shop. I had given him a copy of "Jesus Calling". He thanked me once again, and told me how the words in this book are like Jesus speaking to him personally. He reads it every day, finding much comfort in its pages.

My wife has given about 20 copies to friends so far, and the response has been overwhelmingly positive. This book truly ministers to people.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Be Decieved, April 12 2014
I would strongly suggest that anyone who decides to read this devotional do so with a very strong understanding of the scriptures and would go so far as to suggest reading Warren Smith's "Another Jesus Calling" before hand.
Remember it is imperative that we be discerning in this day and age.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!!, March 29 2014
IF I ever had time to write down my inner thoughts, that is what my communication with God is...THANKYOU for taking the time to do this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Content Excellent cover not as expected, March 23 2014
The content is excellent and very useful, however I was disappointed that it wasn't the leather exterior that I thought I was ordering.

ARRAY(0xb1a696b4)

Jesus Calling: Large Deluxe Edition
Jesus Calling: Large Deluxe Edition by Sarah Young (Imitation Leather - Sept. 6 2011)
CDN$ 26.99 CDN$ 17.55