5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what is missing in most devotional writing.
Published on April 20 2011 by big_read

Before I begin; I think Jesus would've written a book while on Earth if He was meant too. I believe people shouldn't speak on behalf of someone; let alone Jesus. So ultimately the Bible should be the only standard.

Published 4 months ago by Patricia

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what is missing in most devotional writing., April 20 2011
This review is from: Jesus Calling (Hardcover)
My friend got me this as a gift and at first I was thinking, "Oh great, another devotional on how to do better". I'm pleasantly surprised. More than focusing on little character traits to work on and perfect, it encourages you to reflect more on the relationship with Jesus that will bring about a plethora of desireable character changes. True inner peace and a real love for our neighbours and genuine devotion to God do not come from step by step instructions on how to make yourself a better person. We are powerless to do that. I think that was Jesus' message to us. We are incapable of making ourselves good enough. That's why He came and loved us enough to make the ultimate sacrifice. In my opinion much of Christian literature is too silent on that. We don't need more books to tell us how to be a better Christian, we need Jesus to guide us. And we'll never get to a place where He is able to do that if we don't look to Him and dwell on His love for us and commune with Him. It's all about relationship with Him, and that is where the "doing" is birthed. Not the other way around. For anyone who is weary of this world and finding no comfort in our Christian self-help manuals, this devotional could help to lead you to the knowledge of Christ's eternal and complete love for you which will bring about lasting peace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, Sept. 9 2012
This review is from: Jesus Calling (Hardcover)
This little book is a life changer!! If you crave a deeper, more intimate, closer walk with Jesus - well, you need to look no further. I have read book after book, devotional after devotional but this little book made my heart leap at every page - it always felt like Jesus was right there, so so close - it will change your heart. The anointing on this book is tangible. If I were to recommend a devotional book - this is it!! I have handed out about 6 or 7 so far. Buy it and be blessed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jesus Calling - Deluxe edition, Feb. 10 2013
this is the best, most compelling, most insightful collection of devotional studies I have ever seen. I love the tactile feel of this edition. I have given several as gifts, and all have been equally appreciated. Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Being a very optimistic person and having a love for Jesus and Christian books, Jan. 10 2015

Being a very optimistic person and having a love for Jesus and Christian books; when a friend gave me this book I was overjoyed. Immediately upon reading day by day it felt off. At first I thought I was being silly; but then I really began to research and study the scripture she uses.

Examples: January 10th about treasures. That was in reference to not getting attached to treasures of the world. It had nothing to do with being a bank!?
January 7th 'It is impossible to praise or thank me too much.' Imagine my husband saying that! That makes Jesus sound like a narcissist. Of course praise during joys and sorrows. God always does things for the good.
January 9th calling Jesus 'very-present Helper'. The scripture said, very present help. Different, yes. Helper is a verb; Jesus can guide but ultimately our actions are our choices. And Jesus is more than a Helper, an Assistant, an Aide.
I believe the author means well and I'm sure she's a lovely lady; but I wouldn't recommend this book. Or if you choose to read, read with delicate gloves! I made it to day ten and stopped.

5.0 out of 5 stars To Help You Believe God in the In's and Out's of Life, April 17 2013
Fellow Christians, is underestimating our daily unbelief doing us in, helping to spoil our victory and testimony? I think most of us probably don't even realize how wimpy our trust level really is in our faithful Lord for the in's and out's of daily life. And as the old hymn says, "O what peace we often forfeit!" Jesus Calling can help change that. I find Jesus Calling to be 365 different encouraging biblically-based reminders to really live by faith, not by sight. Further, since it is the Lord who works in us to will and to work for His good pleasure, I suggest turning each day's Jesus Calling encouragements into prayers: for yourself, your family, your church and Kingdom-wide. If you find in this devotional a reading or two that you would take issue with, may I encourage you not to let the work on your daily faith down by rejecting the whole book. We probably should never find a human author with whom we totally agree.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful devotional!, March 25 2013
This review is from: Jesus Calling (Hardcover)
I first saw this book when a friend showed it to me and upon reading some of the entries I knew this was a book that I wanted to have. I loved the first person language in it, so simply written and refreshing! It reads as if the Lord was speaking directly to you and it is all scripture based. Because it is so uplifting and powerful, I recommend this book to anyone who may need a fresh perspective on how dearly we are loved and treasured by God. He shows us His loving-kindness and gentle care on every page. I have seen other editions of this book and although this is labelled as a teen edition, the language in it does not indicate that. This book is for anyone, no matter what your age. I personally loved the graphics and colors and that is the reason I purchased this edition.

1.0 out of 5 stars The mighty Oz has spoken, May 8 2015
This review is from: Jesus Calling (Hardcover)
Honestly Sarah – if you want to set yourself up as a personal counselor then do so. Please don't stand behind Jesus as if you were the mighty Oz giving your proclamations. Do we need Toto to come back and pull down the curtain? You have actually taken what is supposed to be a natural inborn faculty - that being conscience and reflection, and cast it outside as your mighty Jesus. It's not only audacious and insulting, it is downright schizophrenic. In fact a better title would have been - An Invitation to Schizophrenia. You may have some psychological advice you can offer to people – be honest and do it in your own voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars a gem for those who know or crave intimacy with Savior Jesus Christ, Sept. 6 2013
This review is from: Jesus Calling (Hardcover)
This book, for me, was a God-find! While on a recent mini-vacation, I visited a bookstore near a Shopping Mall in Bangor, Me. where I found and bought this book. It was the right book for me, at the time. I discern it Holy spirit anointed. I also read the book God Calling and find myself re-reading it. This book is indeed along that line. Every entry is alive bringing Emmanuel's presence in the now. I feel sad for negative reviews who do not get the treasured pearls therein. I will be reading this book with frequency. Yes, I read the Bible much. Yet the book: Jesus Calling is a discovery for which I am grateful!

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY INSPIRING!, Dec 19 2011
Mary Anne Drew (Tecumseh, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
My 50 year old married daughter is dealing with breast cancer and she was given this book by a friend who found it very helpful when she was battling her own cancer. My other daughters and I, during the course of our caring for her, also read the book each morning and found it very inspiring.

I decided to buy a couple of them...one for me and one for a gift. I have since decided to order more of them to give to Christian friends who are perhaps in need of something to re-invigorate them each day, give them courage to face dark times...or just extra motivation to lead a kinder, better life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drawing intimacy, May 24 2014
This review is from: Jesus Calling (Hardcover)
A friend gave me this book as a gift. With every days devotion it drew me closer and closer to my Lord. I felt like He was right there talking to me. It seemed to be more up front and personal than the other devotionals I have read. I could not wait for the next day, I had expectations and each day they were fulfilled. I have since bought about a dozen or more and given them to friends and new Christians. This is a awesome book that can also be used as a tool and/or for yourself. I feel a lot closer to God because of it.

Jesus Calling
Jesus Calling by Sarah Young (Leather Bound - Sept. 5 2011)
CDN$ 29.99 CDN$ 19.44