5.0 out of 5 stars classic sgt rock
I used to love comics like sgt. rock and g.i. combat as a kid, and this hardcover novel really brought me back. A great story, great art, it had me holding my breath like i was a kid again! I wish they would do a graphic novel like this for the unknown soldier, jeb stuart, all of the old war comic greats...
Published on May 31 2004 by DaveTheRed

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing result from two talents that usually shine
Considering the talent and well-established (and well-deserved) reputations of Brian Azzarello and Joe Kubert I was eager to see this collaboration come about. Especially considering Joe Kubert's legacy on Sgt. Rock, I thought we would really be in for a treat. However, I found myself ultimately disappointed with the end result.
Kubert's art is inconsistent, with...
Published on April 7 2004 by Ryan Splint

5.0 out of 5 stars classic sgt rock, May 31 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't listen to that other guy, April 15 2004
Simply put, if you love the art form and are a fan of movies like Kelly's Heroes, The Dirty Dozen, and especially recent outings like Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers, this is for you.
The art is great, as should be expected from a true master such as Kubert. Comparing this to his previous work on the characters (back in the 70's), you can see how much he has grown as an artist. It's classic Kubert through and through.
Give it a shot, especially at the price they're offering here.

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing result from two talents that usually shine, April 7 2004
Ryan Splint (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
Kubert's art is inconsistent, with the majority being very loosely drawn and relying on colors making up for lack of line art. Those panels stand in sharp contrast to other detailed, cleanly illustrated panels that ARE scattered throughout the book. Considering Kubert's expansive portfolio of stunning art, I expected much better from him.
Fans of Azzarello's work on 100 Bullets, etc. will likely be disappointed by the simple, straightforward nature of this story. The plot twist(s) are minor and unsuprising, and like the art, it seems rushed and spotty. Perhaps it has something to do with the number of characters to explore over so short a time, but I never felt they had much depth like the characters in his other work. Considering Azzarello's fantastic work before now, I expected much better from him as well.
Being a huge fan of work by both men, I am very disappointed with this book. Even if you are a die-hard fan of Azzarello and Kubert, I would not recommend you purchase this book unless it is steeply discounted. If I had been able to see the contents in a bookstore, I would have never purchased it.

Sgt. Rock: Between Hell & a Hard Place
Sgt. Rock: Between Hell & a Hard Place by Brian Azzarello (Paperback - Dec 1 2004)
Used & New from: CDN$ 29.80