5.0 out of 5 stars NEVER doubt a 'Batman' comic
Published on March 19 2012 by j-maAN

3.0 out of 5 stars Overrated.
I find this tale of Batman overrated because it was too short to have the story really develop into something special. The story really focuses in on Gordon's first year as commissioner and personally i did not buy a Batman graphic novel to read about the commissioner and not my childhood hero.
Published on April 1 2009 by M. Reyes

5.0 out of 5 stars NEVER doubt a 'Batman' comic, March 19 2012
j-maAN - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Batman: Year One (Paperback)
I often critisized Frank Miller's depiction of Batman. People calling this "one of the greatest Batman Graphic novels of all time" often confused me considering no main villain such as The Joker, Two-Face, The Riddler, Clayface, The Mad Hatter, or Scarecrow was included. Though, after much hesitation I read it. It became apparent to me after a few pages that this truly was a work of art. The text flows beautifully, word after word. Though I do not consider it 'the best' Batman graphic novel, I do hold it in high regard and can safely claim that this is a must buy for any Batman fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clasic, Dec 13 2012
I think this is a Modern Classic

It is the essential introduction to Batman and his world

I believe this was one of the books the Nolans drew on for inspiration.

Need I say More?

5.0 out of 5 stars Miller does not disappoint, Oct. 16 2013
This review is from: Batman: Year One (Kindle Edition)
I have it for the kindle white and I think it looks better in black and white than in colour

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Story, Exceptional Dialog and Illustration. BATMAN: YEAR ONE. A Critical Review., Sept. 23 2013
Andre Lawrence (Miami, Florida) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Batman: Year One (Paperback)
As usual with great graphic novels, I'm late to the party again.

BATMAN: YEAR ONE is as the title states, the beginning of Batman's origins.

But, and this is a big but, this is also a deep look into the life of Gotham City's new police chief, Gordon, his wife and new baby, the corrupt city he's now charged with policing and the complicated relationship he has with his lieutenant officer.

This is not the kiddie Batman of my youth.

****

Frank Miller writes in very complex but intriguing terms. The story is understandable by human terms and not supernatural in comic book terms. Batman is equal in terms of his complexity as Gordon and Gotham City is. Bruce is conflicted and tormented by the events of his youth and you see clearly how he fights off his demons.

You also follow how the events of the city and its corrupt officials try desperately to hold on to the mechanisms that keep them in power but puts them at odds with Gordon and subsequently Batman.

The illustrations are one that I'm most relieved with. Having recently read, "The Dark Knight Returns," and being GREATLY disappointed with the illustrative work of Klaus Janson, YEAR ONE has an illustrator who gets it: David Mazzucchelli gets it. (If it weren't for the masterful storytelling of Miller, DARK KNIGHT would have been an epic fail.

This was a perfect collaboration to say the least.

BATMAN: YEAR ONE is a stellar piece of work and most definitely a work of art.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, June 28 2013
This review is from: Batman: Year One (Paperback)
Dark story yet magnetic. Read from cover to cover in first sitting. Re reading it to take in the story and art work. Well worht the price. Kids are enjoying it as well

5.0 out of 5 stars Origin story done right., Sept. 17 2012
This review is from: Batman: Year One (Paperback)
This book tells the classic story of Batman's origin, but does so in a highly realistic and thematically deep way. The art has a nice impressionistic quality to it, that suits the gritty atmosphere that permeates the story. Exciting and believable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Telling Batman's beginnings as they were meant to be told!, March 22 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Batman: Year One (Paperback)
I recently read "Year One" in one sitting. After about page 11 or 12, I just couldn't stop! The story synopsis can be known through other reviews, so I'll just contribute my own reactions.
I've rarely been this engrossed in a graphic novel/comic series. Due to its length, "The Dark Knight Returns" seems a little more daunting to bite into, so the simplicity and brisk length of Batman's beginnings in "Year One" make it very attractive and accessible to the first-time seeker of Frank Miller's brilliant and important work on Batman. The story and art really plays out like a neo-noir film, complete with dates (i.e. "January 4;" think of the film, "Seven") that give you a sense of where Batman and the "scene stealer," Lt. Gordon, are in the progression of the first year of both characters' careers as Gotham's new "hope." The other brilliant aspect of this story is that the villains aren't super-villains; I don't want to give anymore than that away.
What really attracted me to "catching up" on "Year One," more than anything else, is the fact that I grew up with quite an obsession with Burton's films and highly anticipate Christopher Nolan's upcoming "Batman Begins." What I found out is that, although Burton's filmic treatments are admirable, it's not quite as faithful to Miller's most-definitive work as it should be. However, I was watching Nolan's first film, "Following," recently and noticed that, on one of the doors of a flat in the movie, there was a Batman logo sticker! First and foremost, "Following" is a stylish and intelligent neo-noir thriller that I highly recommend, but the film was released in 1999; four years before Nolan became involved with the new Batman project! This confirms that, not only is he the perfect young director for the Batman that Miller gave us, but he is also a true and caring "Bat-fan!"
In concluding, I kept Nolan's films and directing style in mind while reading "Year One," and 1) this may prompt you to "bone up" on the material that "Batman Begins" is inspired by and 2) thoroughly informs you that Batman is the most intriquing of all comic characters and deserves a faithful filmic treatment that can inform the rest of the world who Batman really is!

5.0 out of 5 stars Discover the man behind the bat., Jan. 1 2004
Amazon Customer "YB" (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Batman: Year One (Paperback)
I didn't want to get this graphic novel. I honestly didn't. I had a lot of faith in Daredevil and of course, what Frank Miller did for the series, but at no point did I have interest in the Batman comics (I did like Batman in the movies, and the animated series and whatnot, though).
I'm not going to rant about Frank Miller's genius story and Mazzucchelli's lively artwork, but at one point the characters in the comic, are no longer drawn characters in a comic. They're human. Even Batman. You see the insecurity and confusion that Bruce Wayne suffers from before he becomes the crimefighter we know him as. You see James Gordon, living with high morals in a city where that is unheard of.
The one thing I hate about this book, is that you won't find another like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent revision, Jan. 2 2011
This review is from: Batman: Year One (Paperback)
"Batman: Year One" by Frank Miller is a fantastic revision of not only Batman's origin but more notably Commissioner Gordon. Gotham City is beautifully brought to life and this revision is simply a joy to read, and a great starter for those looking to enter the Batman franchise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark and mature, Oct. 25 2010
This review is from: Batman: Year One (Paperback)
This is one of the most mature Batman story you will come across.

Really good stuff. Also read The Dark Knight Returns from the same great author.

ARRAY(0xb1bbca20)

Batman: Year One
Batman: Year One by David Mazzucchelli (Paperback - Jan. 10 2007)
CDN$ 17.99 CDN$ 12.99