5.0 out of 5 stars NEVER doubt a 'Batman' comic
Published on March 19 2012 by j-maAN

3.0 out of 5 stars Overrated.
I find this tale of Batman overrated because it was too short to have the story really develop into something special. The story really focuses in on Gordon's first year as commissioner and personally i did not buy a Batman graphic novel to read about the commissioner and not my childhood hero.
Published on April 1 2009 by M. Reyes

5.0 out of 5 stars NEVER doubt a 'Batman' comic, March 19 2012
This review is from: Batman: Year One (Paperback)
I often critisized Frank Miller's depiction of Batman. People calling this "one of the greatest Batman Graphic novels of all time" often confused me considering no main villain such as The Joker, Two-Face, The Riddler, Clayface, The Mad Hatter, or Scarecrow was included. Though, after much hesitation I read it. It became apparent to me after a few pages that this truly was a work of art. The text flows beautifully, word after word. Though I do not consider it 'the best' Batman graphic novel, I do hold it in high regard and can safely claim that this is a must buy for any Batman fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Telling Batman's beginnings as they were meant to be told!, March 22 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Batman: Year One (Paperback)
I recently read "Year One" in one sitting. After about page 11 or 12, I just couldn't stop! The story synopsis can be known through other reviews, so I'll just contribute my own reactions.
I've rarely been this engrossed in a graphic novel/comic series. Due to its length, "The Dark Knight Returns" seems a little more daunting to bite into, so the simplicity and brisk length of Batman's beginnings in "Year One" make it very attractive and accessible to the first-time seeker of Frank Miller's brilliant and important work on Batman. The story and art really plays out like a neo-noir film, complete with dates (i.e. "January 4;" think of the film, "Seven") that give you a sense of where Batman and the "scene stealer," Lt. Gordon, are in the progression of the first year of both characters' careers as Gotham's new "hope." The other brilliant aspect of this story is that the villains aren't super-villains; I don't want to give anymore than that away.
What really attracted me to "catching up" on "Year One," more than anything else, is the fact that I grew up with quite an obsession with Burton's films and highly anticipate Christopher Nolan's upcoming "Batman Begins." What I found out is that, although Burton's filmic treatments are admirable, it's not quite as faithful to Miller's most-definitive work as it should be. However, I was watching Nolan's first film, "Following," recently and noticed that, on one of the doors of a flat in the movie, there was a Batman logo sticker! First and foremost, "Following" is a stylish and intelligent neo-noir thriller that I highly recommend, but the film was released in 1999; four years before Nolan became involved with the new Batman project! This confirms that, not only is he the perfect young director for the Batman that Miller gave us, but he is also a true and caring "Bat-fan!"
In concluding, I kept Nolan's films and directing style in mind while reading "Year One," and 1) this may prompt you to "bone up" on the material that "Batman Begins" is inspired by and 2) thoroughly informs you that Batman is the most intriquing of all comic characters and deserves a faithful filmic treatment that can inform the rest of the world who Batman really is!

5.0 out of 5 stars Discover the man behind the bat., Jan. 1 2004
Amazon Customer "YB" (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Batman: Year One (Paperback)
I didn't want to get this graphic novel. I honestly didn't. I had a lot of faith in Daredevil and of course, what Frank Miller did for the series, but at no point did I have interest in the Batman comics (I did like Batman in the movies, and the animated series and whatnot, though).
I'm not going to rant about Frank Miller's genius story and Mazzucchelli's lively artwork, but at one point the characters in the comic, are no longer drawn characters in a comic. They're human. Even Batman. You see the insecurity and confusion that Bruce Wayne suffers from before he becomes the crimefighter we know him as. You see James Gordon, living with high morals in a city where that is unheard of.
The one thing I hate about this book, is that you won't find another like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who He Is And How He Came To Be, Dec 12 2003
T. Lobascio (New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Batman: Year One (Paperback)
In 1986, maverick comic book writer/artist Frank Miller, took the Batman character to new heights with the groundbreaking story The Dark Knight Returns. The book became an instant classic, often imitated, but never duplicated. Then in 1987, Miller returned to the world of the cowled one with the impressive Batman: Year One. While nothing will ever top TDKR--Year One comes mighty close--and is what Miller's recent and very diappointing sequel, The Dark Knight Strikes Again, should have been modeled after.
The story follows Batman during his first year as protector of Gotham City. As he tries to bring justice to the streets, we also meet police LT. James Gordon, who finds himself battling corruption in the police department. As both men try to come to terms with these challenges, Miller shows us a lot of familiar character traits in both men, while keeping them slightly off balance, unsure what the future holds. Batman struggles with having to maintain a secret identity, while Gordon struggles with decisions he must now make to stay on the job.
Dave Mazzucchelli's artwork compliments Miller's nior style. It also has a grittiness to it, that harkens back to pulp detective comics of the 30's and 40's, of the non superhero variety. It is beautifully rendered Any one of the panels will make one appreciate comic book all the more.
Originally published in single issue format for Batman #404-407, the collected trade paperback has had multiple printings...I for one, am glad it's finally back again after quite a while, as is The Dark Knight Returns, by the way. Miller provides a brief introduction for the 96 page book. Both Year One and the original DKR make for excellent reads (just be sure to skip DK2 at all costs).

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, Nov. 20 2002
"incurock31" (Maitland, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Batman: Year One (Paperback)
Frank Miller will always be best known for The Dark Knight Returns, and many people (myself included) regard Batman: The Killing Joke to be the greatest single Batman story ever. But this is a very close second.
The story begins with recent Gotham City Police Department hiree Jim Gordon arriving for the first time in Gotham. Coincidentally, it is the day that 25 year old multimillionaire Bruce Wayne returns to his hometown after many years of mysterious travel abroad. The story takes us through a year to see how Gordon reacts to corruption and graft in the Police Force, and how Bruce Wayne will become the Batman. It is also told through Gordon's and Wayne's point of view, which was a nice touch. It climaxes when Police Commissioner Loeb orders Batman to be taken down, with a really spectacular ending.
David Mazuchelli's artwork is dynamic and gritty. He draws the Dark Knight and his world beautifully. Frank Miller's words are simply marvelous. I was captured from the first page, and didn't put it down until I had read it.
Overall, this is a great place to start if you're looking to become a Batman fan. The story isn't complicated, but is still riveting. If you don't read this, you're missing out on some of the best comics literature there has ever been. I can't recommend this book enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Untitled Off-the-Fly Review, Oct. 27 2002
Marco Panajon (Manila, Philippines) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Batman: Year One (Paperback)
Funny thing-- I was waiting for a copy of Batman: Dark Knight Returns to arrive in the Philippines for about 3 months now, and today I finally bought one. After all, that book is a certified classic. My buddy Lance lent me his copy about a year ago and it totally changed my view on comics; no, it changed my view of Batman. The story, the art, the whole synergy of comic book lore and human force, all in those crisp pages. Frank Miller has got to be a storytelling powerhouse. I've been obsessing about Dark Knight Returns so much that I had my sister buy it in Amazon two months ago, but decided I just couldn't wait any longer and bought it today.
Anyway, right beside DK Returns was a copy of Batman Year One. I was intrigued because I heard about this from my friend who said that he read it and it was good and Darren Aranofsky was set to direct the film version sometime next year. Ok, I got overly curious so I bought the damn thing. In fact, I was halfway out of the mall when I decided, "Hey, now's a great time to concentrate on Ol' Bats, why not?" So I ran back and got the last copy.
I just finished reading Batman Year One. Here's my take: Frank Miller is definitely good. Very unique take on the characters of the comic, i.e. Bruce Wayne's harrowing thirst for justice, Jim Gordon as a true human being, and Gotham City's political and social ennui providing the reader with a relative understanding of the surroundings of Batman. So Year One is a more practical, if not hyperbolical type of comic. On the whole, it's like watching Deep Impact when you could be watching Armageddon. It's the thinking man's Batman. In terms of the storyline, I have to admit there was nothing all too remarkable about Miller's reintroduction of the Dark Knight's origins... Perhaps if we were to talk about Jim Gordon Year One, then this reviewer would be a little more enhtusiastic about it. But hey, I guess we're all human.
On the whole, Batman Year One is still a must have for Batman lovers everywhere. I'd still recommend this book to any weary soul tired of having to put up with a Joel Schumacher-inspired slop shop of a Gotham City. This book IS Gotham City, with all its dirty little secrets gaping at you like a fresh wound.

4.0 out of 5 stars A prequel to DARK KNIGHT, gordon steals the show, April 25 2002
Peter Ingemi (Worcester County, Massachusetts United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Batman: Year One (Paperback)
Another example of a great comic book that definately isn't for kids.
After the success of DARK KNIGHT we saw the sequel BATMAN YEAR ONE. I remember this one flying off the shelves at the comic store when the issues came out.
We see a two new arrivals in Gotham. One a police lieutenant with a bit of a past who finds corruption rampart in the force and a fellow officer who he falls for creating corruption in his marriage.
We also find a rich playboy who thinks he is ready to begin his revenge on the underworld for the lives of his parents, starting with the corrupt police force.
Several things in the Batman mythos are re-written. Gordon is a thirty something cop, Selina Kyle is a hooker instead of a jewel thief, it is a darker and gritter story, more in the genre of the Japaneese style of comics for adults. Considering the direction Miller took daredevil it is no big shock.
It was the second step on the road to comics no longer being something for kids. It was a great story, and a fine plot. The artwork was done well, the style fit the story well, but save it for when the kids hit 15.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Detective Thriller, April 16 2002
This review is from: Batman: Year One (Paperback)
Following the time after I read Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns", whenever I hear the name "Batman", my mind immediately conjures up a vision of a lonely, troubled, ordinary man who, night by night, uses his detective skills to apprehend the criminals. He moves in the shadows and strikes fear into all those who are guilty and he. Never. Smiles.
Thanks to Miller, comic book writers proceeding after "Dark Knight Returns" have, for the most part, remained true to this vision. "Batman: Year One" is such an example and is truly a seminal body of work in the Batman canon.
"Batman: Year One" introduces us to two main characters, one being the aforementioned Dark Knight and the other being his most trusting friend and ally, (Lieutenant) James Gordon. The story is interwoven between these two men of Gotham City. Bruce Wayne has returned after having spent twelve years abroad with only one thing firmly rooted in his mind: to catch the bad guys. This desire runs parallel to (new cop in town) Gordon's own, in his case with addition to dealing with a corrupt police force.
Which is the beauty of this story. We see two men, one working for the law, and the other outside it, trying to come to terms with what they have to face. Gordon hates his job and corrupt superiors, regrets that his wife is bringing a child into this godforsaken city and has an affair to forget his troubles. Bruce Wayne/Batman on the other hand, has to come to deal with how he can strike fear into the hearts of men and maintain the image of a social elite at the same time. Something tells me they will get the hang of it.
Mazzuchelli's artwork is beautiful. Although I have always been a comic book fan, I've never really cared for the art unless it fails to help the story along. In this case, it does so much more. The art makes me feel totally uneasy with Gotham City, like I'm in Jim Gordon's place. It is perfect.
The most astounding feature of "Batman: Year One" is that it reads like a detective story and not a blockbusting special effects bonanza. Batman has always been a detective first and a "super-hero" second. He doesn't work like Superman, a character with whom comparisons are constant. It reminded me why I like him more than Superman: because he is, to all ends and purposes, only human. Miller keeps him that way which makes this a gritty and thrilling read.
I liked this book because it revived my interest in the Batman. I hear the film will be based on this story - I hope that the final script remains true to the detective aspect of "Batman: Year One", because it works best like that. The last two Batman movies were guilty of making Batman less mysterious. I want the real Batman back and if you read this book, you will too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Year One - Batman for Grown-ups, Feb. 21 2002
Greg Rice (Front Royal, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Batman: Year One (Paperback)
Frank Miller's Batman: Year One is without a doubt one of Miller's best stories and arguably the greatest Batman tale ever told. In this series, Frank Miller was given the task of basically re-inventing the Batman character which he did such amazing work on in The Dark Knight Returns. This time, rather than tell of Batman's future, Miller retells the origin of the then 50-year-old comics character. The story is reset in a contemporary ('80s) setting, though the tale retains a timeless feel and overall, the basic story could be set anywhere in the 20th century.
For this story, Miller has stripped Batman of all the wild and crazy additions which he made use of in DKR (and to excess in the sequel DK2.)
It tells the tale of a 25-year-old Bruce Wayne first beginning his career as the Batman. Unlike in the original 1939 comics, James Gordon is younger and still a Lieutenant when the Dark Knight begins his crusade. The story is told from the persective of both good cop Gordon and the outlaw viligante Wayne
and tells how they eventually find they must unite in order to continue their respective battles in a totally corrupt Gotham City.
Young Wayne/Batman is convincingly portrayed as a youthful beginner still learning the ropes of being a superhero. He has not yet become the magnificently crazy force of nature shown in DKR. Gordon is shown as a very human hero who must fight evil in a more normal way. Catwoman is also introduced as a vengeful ex-prostitute.
The story has a noirish feel, and Mazzuchelli's understated but strong drawing looks unimpressive at first glance, but tells the story in a direct, undistracting manner.
I wish there were more Batman tales like this - mature, noir dramas without a lot of silly sci-fi/fantasy gimickry. I hope they are able to get that movie made!

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic Bat story- for a reason., Aug. 17 2001
Jonathan Goay (Temple City, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Batman: Year One (Paperback)
When you think of Batman, you usually think of a bad@$$ crime fighter. An ingenious detective. A man who is perpetually poised and highly skilled.
In Year One, Batman is none of these. Year One is the story of Bruce Wayne's first year as Batman, which also happens to be Jim Gordon's first year on the Gotham Police Force. Gordon, a lowly lieutenant at the time, finds himself and his pregnant wife in a city full of crime, and working in a police force that is full of corruption. The story goes back and forth between Gordon, as he struggles to be a good cop in a bad force and Bruce Wayne as he undertakes the role to be a crimefighter that he has been training so long for.
The most interesting thing about Year One is that here, Batman, who is usually seen as a seasoned veteran and tough as nails, is a rookie. He's uncertain and he makes mistakes. Basically, he's an amateur feeling out his abilities. Also interesting is seeing Gotham city and the police force react to the appearance of the costumed vigilante. Gordon and Batman's paths cross for the first time as Batman targets the corrupt higher-ups running Gotham, and Gordon is ordered to find out who the Bat is and stop him.
Frank Miller carried the story through the two different viewpoints very well. He did a good job writing a young Batman, but I actually enjoyed reading from Gordon's viewpoint more. The art, by David Mazzucchelli is nothing spectacular but it really fits the story.
Overall, Batman: Year One is an excellent piece of work. People who's impressions of Batman are from the horrible, horrible movies should definitely pick it up and get to know one the greatest characters in all fiction.

Batman: Year One
Batman: Year One by David Mazzucchelli (Paperback - Jan. 10 2007)
CDN$ 17.99 CDN$ 12.99