5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Greatest Comic Runs of all time IMO, July 26 2012
S.G.S (Halifax, NS Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The New Teen Titans Omnibus Vol. 2 (Hardcover)
I bought the 1st volume of this on a whim of boredom. I heard great things of this series, and I had never experieced any Wolfman, Perez comics before. I did not hold any expectations for these books (I esentially review both here.), but what I discovered inside was to become one of the greatest comic runs I have ever read. After reading vol 1 my anticipation for the second vol was through the roof. When expectations are this high, one would usually be disappointed. Not the case if anything vol2 is better....

Not only were the stories in the second vol greater than the 1st, but DC corrected the binding blunder of their 1st run of Ominibi ( I think that's right, not Omnibuses ). When you are spending big $ on a comic you want it to last multiple reads, and feel sturdy in your hand. I must say I don't have a huge issue with the binding of Vol 1, but I know a lot of readers that do.

Spoiler Alert*******

The crown jewel of this collection for me was the 'Judas Contract' where Terra's true motives are made apparent to the Titans, and the debut of Nightwing. It is clear to see that Dick Grayson was finally done with being the sidekick we have all come to love. This and the Terra arc are essentially the basis for the whole vol. One giant contained storyline that lasts for 700 + pages.

I have come to love a cast of characters that I previously did not care for, or knew nothing about ( Dick Grayson not inculded ), and that is thanks to Marv, and Georges wonderful story telling.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Omnibus - WARNING MISSING ISSUE #38, April 24 2012
Michael Emond "Michael of the North" (Sudbury, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Teen Titans Omnibus Vol. 2 (Hardcover)
I received my copy a week ago and I can't rave enough about it. But before I rave about it I want potential buyers to be warned that it is missing issue #38. On the pre-adverts for it they said issues #21-40 (among others) but they left out #38 which is the touching "Who is Donna Troy" as Dick Grayson searches for the true roots of Donna Troy before she is married. In my mind the mistake was made by the editor when he/she inserted the Batman and the Outsiders issue that follows from NTT #37 and then continued on to #39 instead of including issue #38. It is a shame this happened because it will be frustrating for people who by this Omnibus.

Okay - enough of the bad let me now talk about the good. This is (IMO) one of the best series of comics ever put together and is a must have for any serious comic book collector. George Perez was at the top of his game and Marv Wolfman was at the height of his storytelling skills (with George helping co-script the stories). The art is beautiful, the stories are a wonderful blend of action and character development. You can tell these co-creators really cared about their creations and that shines through. You have classic stories like the Judas Contract with the Terminator but you also have Brother Blood (whom I didn't actually like that much) and a journey into space to investigate Starfire's roots (my personal fav). Chris Claremont and John Byrne's X-Men, Walt Simonson's Thor, John Byrne's Fantastic Four, Frank Miller's Daredevil and of course Perez and Wolfman's New Teen Titans...this was truly the golden age of comics.

Yes, I am deducting a star for the mistake of leaving out issue 38 but I would buy it again in a heartbeat had I known...I just wanted other buyers to be forewarned so they wouldn't be as disappointed as I was.

P.S. The footer of including the issue number on each page of the Omnibus? I love this idea - thank you so much for whomever thought of doing this. I wish all Omnibuses (Omnibi) would do this.

The New Teen Titans Omnibus Vol. 2
The New Teen Titans Omnibus Vol. 2 by Marv Wolfman (Hardcover - April 24 2012)
CDN$ 85.00 CDN$ 53.30