5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Engaging Read
This was a terrific read, whether you're a member of a sorority or not (I am actually a member). MAybe some of the things that happen inthe book aren't true of every sorority but come on, we all know that this stuff does go on in some places. I was fascinated by this book by the stories that sounded familiar to me and the ones that didn't. It was better than fiction.
Published on July 14 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars "Pledged" is not indicative of Sororities
Published on July 12 2004 by Elizabeth

2.0 out of 5 stars "Pledged" is not indicative of Sororities, July 12 2004
Elizabeth (Lexington, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities (Hardcover)
While "Pledged" does provide an interesting inside look on the greek system, I feel compelled to say something. I don't believe that anyone who is not in a sorority has the right to arguie that this is an accurate account of what actually goes on. It's not possible for people who have no experience with sororities to judge the validity of this book. I myself am a Chi Omega at a southern university. I felt that the issues discussed in this book are unfounded and ridiculous. The entire purpose of the greek system is based on trust and sisterhood. Robbins had no right to pose as a sister and expose sorority secrets that are not relevant to the purpose of her book.
While I agree that many women have issues with friendship, sex, drugs, alcohol, and self-image, this is NO different from any other college student. By portraying only sororities, Robbins fails to create basis for comparison. For her to allege that it is only sorority women that are involved in binge drinking and partying is completely and utterly false. Her judgements are based on one year at one university with four women.
Each university and each sorority has different rules and regulations regarding behavior. There are many out there who do not enforce a ban on hazing, and I agree that hazing is a horrible activity. But try focusing on the majority of sororites which do not engage in such activities, who are active in philanthropy and who truly do represent the greek system. I am saddened by the actions that Robbins witnessed as a sorority sister but as a sister I do not beleve that these actions are universal.

1.0 out of 5 stars I guess I missed that in initiation!, April 12 2004
This review is from: Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities (Hardcover)
For one thing, no "mainstream" sorority is going to let a non-member know the secretive side of sorority life! The author has not a clue. I'm sure several sorority rejected girls love to hate sorority sisters. Unless you are a member of a "mainstream" sorority (the real thing: think big houses, chapters, organization, and long and good sorority history), you don't know, so don't judge. Don't let anyone else form your opinion of sororities for you. JOIN AND DECIDE FOR YOURSELF!

1.0 out of 5 stars Generalizations without facts, July 16 2004
This review is from: Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities (Hardcover)
As a professional educator and national representative of a national sorority I was astonished at some of the information presented by Ms. Robbins in her book Pledged. While every college campus is different, there are no local traditions as she claims other than University based traditions. National "headquarters" are not pushing the pearl-idea of the 1950's and we do not use it as a means for husband hunting. NHQ's are administrative centers which educate women in the organization to be proactive, safe, and are up to the current times. Greek Life members typically have higher GPA's, ARE career networking avenues, are more successful professionally, hold more advanced degrees, and do many of the service-scholastic activities she chooses to ignores. Some of her terminology in the book reflects her lack of professionalism in her accurate research: pledge should be new member, rush is now recruitment....
Everyone who reads this should see this as a generalization of the greek system by someone who is un-eduated and is looking to put down a large group (3.3 million people) who work hard to protect our secret rituals and promote our positive names despte some of the dangerous behavior that may occur on any college campus true of any collegiate greek or not.

4.0 out of 5 stars Never was Greek but...., July 19 2004
This review is from: Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities (Hardcover)
I enjoyed reading this book, through reading it I kept in mind that some of these events probably only happen in a few chapters throughout the US. However, it does happen. I never belonged to a sorority, but I had two friends belong to them, they loved their sisters and said the good things that happened in the sorority far outweighed the bad. And that's how I felt when i read the book, there were some bad things writen, but all the good things, parties, fundraising, the closeness the girls shard...far outweighed the bad things. I mean seriously, put just 20 girls in a house and don't see if you have these kinds of issues Greek or not. It's part of life, and it doesn't mean that you have to get defensive about it.
I highly recommend this book. And if i have a daughter who would choose to join a sorority, I would highly encourage her, even after reading this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars This is ridiculous, July 18 2004
This review is from: Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities (Hardcover)
As a member of the greek community, this book makes me angry. But what makes me more angry is that people are reading it and taking it as though she researched every greek community in the country. If she would have look at even just a few other campuses she would have seen that not every sorority is like that. Did anyone realize that she takes some of the things that are not even bad things and trys to make them sound bad. It's sad that the sororitys portrayed in this book have such a bad greek system at their school and maybe instead of bashing it or letting it continue how it is, these girls should try and do something to change it. Complaining to a reporter isn't going to help anything. And if it's as terrible as they portray it to be, then why are they there. It's their choice to be in the sorority in the first place, so what's keeping them there? Obviously something is. I can tell you that in my experience NOTHING has ever come close to being like those sororitys. Sorry, but for her to judge something she was never a part of is apalling to me. The sister hood in my sorority is amazing and I'm sorry that this book is causing people to not want to experience something that has changed my life the way that it has.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Engaging Read, July 14 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Fluff, July 12 2004
Reader (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities (Hardcover)
I am amazed at the glo members who want to down this book. It's because they don't like the world looking into their world that isn't moral or decent. Anyone speaking out to expose it is trashed by them, when they are the trash--as she vividly exposes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Check your personal agendas at the door - enjoy a great book, July 11 2004
This review is from: Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities (Hardcover)
This book was fantastic. Pretty much felt like I was reading about my own college experience. I read the book in about 48 hours. It was great. I've also read through some of the reviews on here. How absurd can people get??? Angry that african american sororities aren't mentioned? Ms. Robbins mentions them and holds them up as an ideal for others to follow. Angry that asian sororities aren't mentioned? Write your own book. Angry that Ms. Robbins learned more about greek groups in one year than most of us see in two or three? Well, good for her! Stop complaining about journalistic integrity. She has it in spades as far as I can tell. She asked nationals to let her in, they said no. Check your personal agendas at the door and just enjoy the book. It's really fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars a great book, makes you think about greeks, July 11 2004
This review is from: Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities (Hardcover)
i thought this book was very informative. so informative that i think every person(male and female) should read this book before going off to college, it just might change some peoples minds on whether to join a greek organization or not. for me i read it while i was in college but i brought it home and my little sister happened to pick it up and read it, she immediately called her best friend and told her that they could not join a sorority. i know a lot of people are saying that the info in the book isnt true, and though some might not be true, A LOT of it is very true. i dont have first hand experience because i was never in one but i have known friends and from those stories and their experiences i can tell that a lot of this information is true. so however you believe, whether you love greeks or hate them, atleast admit that this book is very truthful and extremely interesting to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars at least alexandra has the guts to tell the truth!, July 11 2004
This review is from: Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities (Hardcover)
what she said is mostly true. especially at the college where i go, greek life isn't maintained that well. a lot of the sororities where i go are only concerned about their socials with fraternities, clothes, being thin, and gossip. some of the things he said are true- at my campus, sororities will mark each inch of fat that a girl needs to loose before initation.

ARRAY(0xb5357390)

Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities
Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities by Alexandra Robbins (Hardcover - April 14 2004)
CDN$ 34.95 CDN$ 24.61