5.0 out of 5 stars encouraging, hopeful, very uplifting
Published on April 15 2009 by Gail Cooke

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I had expected
I drive a lot and thought this would be a good companion on the road. I found it very detailed and time specific to the foundation and Mike's working with the foundation, if you like that sort of thing then this is your book.
I had hoped to learn more about the man and his life.

The last two CDs contained a little more detail about him which I enjoyed...
Published on Feb. 13 2011 by Sheila Corneillie

5.0 out of 5 stars encouraging, hopeful, very uplifting, April 15 2009
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Always Looking Up: The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist (Hardcover)
Those of us fortunate enough to have read Michael J. Fox's first book, Lucky Man, know how courageous and optimistic he has been in his continuing battle with Parkinson's . Many have probably wondered how he has done in the ensuing years - now here is an update with Always Looking Up, an apt title as he's certainly maintaining a positive attitude . There's much to benefit all of us as he shares his personal philosophy, beliefs that have led him to a life of happiness and contentment despite physical adversity.

As Michael reflects upon the past decade we hear, "If I could go back today and speak to the me of 2000, as I waged my daily battles with Parkinson's disease, I'd have this to say: .You ain't seen nothing yet!.
In fact, having the benefit of my experience since, I know now that it was going to get a lot worse before it got . . . well . . . a lot worse. "

Yet here he is after having been forced to relinquish an extremely successful show business career, and practically remake his life. He had been an actor, that defined him. He is now a husband, a father, and an activist after having begun the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research.

Always Looking Up is not only Michael's recent. story but also the experiences of others who have survived actually surmounted extreme difficulties. All of these stories combine to encourage, inspire and give hope. An extremely rewarding listening experience!

- Gail Cooke

5.0 out of 5 stars Always Looking Up, July 23 2009
Ella Strong (London, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This book helped me prepare for the future. My sister is 7 years into Parkinson's and I will be her caregiver in the future. I was looking for specifics on what happens next. What I learned from this book is that everyone is different, and Michael's experience may be different from my sister's future. His optimism is invaluable to caregivers and patients. I have given this book to her to read as well. She has been taking a course on how to fall and how to avoid falling. Also very useful.

I wish I had read his first book, but learning the later stages has been extremely helpful for me. Thank you, Michael!

4.0 out of 5 stars Tall people need to look up more too!, Aug. 4 2009
Samantha J. Ward (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
Michael jokes how this title came from being vertically challenged. I'm a 5'10" woman and was reminded through his thought provoking book to also remember to look up!

My Dad was diagnosed with PD in June and I was looking for some insight so I could be there for him. Although he may not be ready for this book, I have it in my arsenal for when he is. In the mean time, though, I've passed it on to my sister and we are both one step closer to understanding PD and realizing that life goes on, even well in some cases as MJF demonstrates, if you can get your mind set right.

Thanks for all your hard work taking on PD and I'm now moving on to your first book to see what other gems I can take from it.

Best wishes,

Sam

Toronto, Canada

4.0 out of 5 stars An attitude for all to emulate, July 28 2010
A humourous yet informative insight into living with PD and how to have a positive outlook on life. A lesson for us all when life seems to put us down. His easy to read style punctuated with humour but an amazing amount of fact has taught me so much about PD & Stem Cell research that I fume at the red tape stopping valuable developments in medical advances. Will now definitely have to read his other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Always turning the next Page!, April 26 2010
Trina Pottie (Nova Scotia, Canada) - See all my reviews
Michael J. Fox is a wonderful writer. I find his use of language intelligent and thought provoking and at the same time, he'll use common language, slang and even curse words to tell his story, all of it entertaining and non-offensive. This book encompasses the decade from his retirement from acting to almost present day. The chapters this time do not run chronologically as they did in Lucky Man, but he's categorized them into themes: Work, Faith, Family and Politics. I found all the chapters engrossing, but I must confess, his Work and Politics chapters were most engaging. His anecdotal reminiscing about Christopher Reeve, Robin Williams, Lance Armstrong and Muhommad Ali are poignant and heartwarming. There a photographs at the start of each chapter and I wish there were more. They are a teasing look into this fascinating man's life. Being a fellow Canadian, I have a very soft spot for MJF.
I read this book in a week, but I could have read it faster if I didn't have to work, eat or sleep!
If you enjoyed his first one (and you don't have to read the first one to read this one), you will enjoy Always Looking Up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leading the Search for a Cure, Adjusting to Parkinson's Disease, Faith, and Family Life, May 23 2009
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
"Then He commanded the multitudes to sit down on the grass. And He took the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up to heaven, He blessed and broke and gave the loaves to his disciples; and the disciples gave to the multitudes." Matthew 14:19

Michael J. Fox's second memoir closely follows this section of Scripture in a seemingly unconscious way. In the book, he describes the transition from being a full-time actor to Parkinson's disease research-encouraging activist . . . seeking a cure within ten years -- what would be a miracle to all those with the disease. How do I know? My Dad discovered he had the disease about the same time Michael J. Fox did, but Dad is no longer with us.

Many people become leaders of various social causes, but most aren't as candid as Michael J. Fox in describing the sources of inspiration, frustration, and challenges that cause them to lift themselves above their daily lives to service for many others. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to undertake selfless leadership. Michael J. Fox's consistent self-deprecating humor (part of "always looking up" is explained by his diminutive stature) in the face of adversity is an inspiration for those who are in good health or poor.

I don't know anyone now who has Parkinson's disease so I've lost touch with what the disease's progression is like. The book is eloquent and detailed in capturing the various disease symptoms and side effects of medication. You can almost feel yourself inside his body. It's remarkable story telling. Anyone who is feeling sorry for her- or himself would do well to read this book and count blessing instead.

I was also very interested in his spiritual search. He's open to learning about different ideas about spirituality but doesn't have much of a sense of connection to the spiritual world except to believe that there's a higher power. As I read the book, I wondered where his spiritual search will end.

The book is also very open in describing the challenges of being a Dad who can't do all those physical things.

To me, this book was a huge breath of fresh air.

As much as I enjoyed Michael J. Fox, the brilliant comic actor, I admire Michael J. Fox, the optimistic man seeking to improve himself, even more.

Bravo!

5.0 out of 5 stars every one should read this book, Feb. 26 2014
Michael J Fox is not only an great actor, he is an amazing man.
If you want to be inspired, or if you want to be more optimistic
read this book, & then share it with others. Love the guy!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring story, Feb. 16 2014
Michael J Fox has written a great book here. I liked it so much I've bought 3 copies for friends gifts. Shows how matter how awful things get as long as you have a good attitude that is all that matters. Sorry about your recent series, writers weren't very good unfortunately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Aug. 28 2014
Love Michael Fox and love his book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Latest Book, Aug. 24 2009
After reading this well written and inspiring book I cant wait to read more from him. Although US politics is a subject I usually dont find any interest in, Mr.Fox has focused more on the human aspect and less on the "politics".

Always Looking Up: The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist
Always Looking Up: The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist by Michael J. Fox (Hardcover - Sept. 1 2008)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01