5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational
Mindfulness should be an exercise all beings participate in practicing, not simply exclusive to our Buddhist traditions; a point Kabat-Zinn makes in this wonderful book. What it truly encompasses is a kind of awakening (yes, cliché) where we begin living in accord with not just all people but, also with ourselves.
Jon Kabat-Zinn is the director of the Stress...
Published on March 21 2004 by Swing King

3.0 out of 5 stars great content.
My copy arrived with pages not cut correctly, making it impossible to leaf through the pages. Still, great content.
Published 1 month ago by Charles Martin

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Book on Mindfulness!, May 29 2007
M. Le - See all my reviews
Jon Kabat-Zinn is an excellent and highly trained scientist and it shows in this book. He definitely has a very wide variety of knowledge not just on meditation itself. I just love how he relates to quotes from buddhism, taoism and other famous classics throughout the book. It impresses me a lot because these quotes are deep but very suitable and are there to help your understanding but NOT to show off his knowledge. It takes very high level of expertise and effort to make things precise and accessible like this. Definitely a 5 star work!

PS. A quote from Lao Tzu he chose in this book has impressed me so much that I choose to live a very "taoist" life myself!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful invitation to live your life more fully, Nov. 13 2002
By A Customer
This book is full of 2-3 page invitations to live your life more fully! I frequently share passages with my yoga classes. It is inspiring and practical. Take it to heart!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just for Buddhists, March 14 2004
Paul (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
This is a masterfully done book on Buddhist mindfulness meditation, presented for anyone - Buddhist or other - wishing to learn this wonderful technique. Wherever You Go, There You Are manages to be both simply written and profound at the same time. It's the type of book that can be read more than once, and each time you'll take away a little more from it. If you would like to learn something about meditation as a way to enhance your life - and mindfulness meditation is a great choice for that - this book is a fine way to get started.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional down-to-earth introduction to meditation, Aug. 21 2000
Jesse D Matthews (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I started this book and could not put it down. Dr. Kabat-Zinn captured many truths that so many of us mindlessly ignore. I have read several books on meditation and this is by far the best. I have read this book a couple times now, and each time I see more truth in it. This book offers a wonderful and wise perspective on the journey of life. I highly recomend this book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Balm for the Soul, Nov. 28 2001
TERRY "Peace and Love" (Greenbelt, Maryland, USA) - See all my reviews
I am a voracious reader of books of all types, with a strong interest in Buddhism, and particularly Buddhist psychology. This book is one of a precious few that I hold close to my heart.
Kabat-Zinn has managed to write a book that is gentle, comforting, and practical. That the book is comforting and gentle does not mean that it shallow or filled with simplistic platitudes. Rather, comfort flows naturally from the quiet passion of a teacher sharing earthy wisdom.
That the book is practical does mean that it is dry and monotonous, or that it emphasizes technique at the expense of the heart. Instead, Kabat-Zinn gently touches on what meditation and what meditation is not. Without arousing anxiety or dampening enthusiasm, he refutes misunderstandings and guides the would-be student around the common snags and obstacles of a new meditation practice.
The book is organized in short "chunks" that can be read a digested easily. I carried the book with me on the subway where I found that I had enough time to read and contemplate one chunk before reaching my destination.
Reading Kabat-Zinn's book is a meditation in itself. This book is one of my treasures. I highly recommend it to anyone who is exploring meditation or Buddhism, particularly those who may be depressed or discouraged and in search of solid, caring wisdom.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are interested in meditation, or, if you want to find, June 8 2001
L. Quido "quidrock" (Tampa, FL United States) - See all my reviews
a way to slow the pace of your busy world, Jon Kabat-Zinn can express the "out of body" concepts of meditation in a way that no one else can.
You get to choose: "Wherever you go...." is a book that can be explored over and over, that can start you on a path to a new habit to find within yourself what you need to survive today's busy world; that can help you find a new habit to renew the life you lead. Or, utilize its message just as a brief "chapter read" to jump start the positive if you are not looking for a lifelong habit.
It is very difficult to express, in words, the inner activities that result in becoming comfortable in your own skin. Kabat-Zinn writes thoughtfully and honestly about how he has accomplished this, and what things might work for you. There are many treasures in this book. For me, his ability to describe the rewards one gets from practiced patience, and to impress upon the reader the simplicity of the "body scan" and how it can lead to the habit of lying down meditation are two examples of things that readers can take away at any given time from his book.
Many self-help readers today are looking for the "quick fix" or some small coping practice they can employ to keep their days positive. In some ways, in addition to helping you understand why meditation works and why it can change your life, Kabat-Zinn writes a poetic and illuminating version of the "one minute help" chapters that the "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" series provided to these readers in the busy working world.
When you couple his vision and ideas with the lovely verse that liberally sprinkles his book (Kabir, Thoreau and Whitman are favorites) you have a quiet and inspirational message that can do more to help you understand and eliminate your stress than can all the meditation, control and organizational techniques advocated in today's America could ever do.
Read "Wherever you go, there you are" and learn how mindfulness can change the course of your daily life for the better. It works.

5.0 out of 5 stars IN MEDITATION THERE IS PEACE AND BEAUTY!, April 18 2001
Sandra D. Peters "Seagull Books" (Prince Edward Island, Canada) - See all my reviews
If you have never tried meditation, or discovered the peace, beauty and serenity it can bring, then as the saying goes,"Don't knock it until you have tried it!" For those who live their life according to Buddhist Philosophies, meditation is a part of your life. You will know that mindfulness is a way of walking the path of life and being at peace and harmony with yourself and the world.
"Wherever You Go, There You Are" is a beautifully written book; even if you do not meditate, the reader will find solace and inner peace throughout the pages of this book. It is like sitting in a beautiful, enchanted garden, where there is no suffering or pain, only peace and beauty in everything we see. If you are on a spiritual quest for a more positive, happier and harmonious life, do not miss this book. It projects wisdom, truth and mindfulness - the way to a simpler yet more fulfilling life. I also highly recommend the Dalai Lama's, "The Art of Happiness," and "Awakening the Buddha Within" by Lama Surya Das (my reviews are also available on these books.) With dedication, commitment and an open mind on the part of the reader these books have the capability to transform and enrich your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sitting in the crossroads of here and now., April 14 2001
G. Merritt - See all my reviews
I have revisited this meditation guide many times since first reading it nearly five years ago. Kabat-Zinn is not a yogi, sage or Zen master. Rather, he is a meditation teacher and the director of the Stress Reduction Clinic at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center. He also teaches Massachusetts prison inmates how to meditate. He approaches meditation in a non-spiritual way. "Meditation can be a profound path for developing oneself, for refining one's perceptions, one's views, one's consciousness," he writes. "But, to my mind, the vocabulary of spirituality creates more practical problems than it solves" (p. 264). In this easy-to-read book, Kabat-Zinn shows us how to cultivate mindfulness in our lives.
The "practice, practice, practice" of meditation enables us to find our "soul path, a path with heart" (p. xvi), and to "chart a course toward greater sanity and wisdom in our lives" (p. xx). Through meditation, Walden Pond can be found in our breath (p. 24). Meditation, Kabat-Zinn tells us, "is a Way of being, a Way of living, a Way of listening, a Way of walking along the path of life and being in harmony with things as they are" (p. 88). "Dwelling inwardly for extended periods, we come to know something of the poverty of always looking outside ourselves for happiness, understanding, and wisdom" (p. 96).
Besides learning how to surf the waves of life through mindfulness training, in this book you will also find words to live by on non-doing, patience, letting go, non-judging, voluntary simplicity, the delusion of positive thinking, ahimsa (non-harming), anger and parenting. Whether you are new to the meditation cushion or a longtime practitioner, if you are looking for a simple, how-to book on meditation, "this is it."
G. Merritt

5.0 out of 5 stars 5000 STARS, IF THAT'S POSSIBLE, Feb. 28 2000
i don't have any particular credentials to convince you this book is pure gold, and a part of me says why bother trying anyway, but here goes. if you're the kind of person who believes in serendipity, who believes that when the student is ready the teacher appears, then "as eggs are eggs" (my father's favorite saying) you will stumble across this book in your own sweet time. i should know; i've stumbled across it twice. the first time some years ago i was intrigued but not ready. the second time some months ago i fell on my knees. as far as the sheer joy of meditation is concerned, i direct your attention to lorin roche's accessible "meditation made easy". but for the full effect, i recommend you follow up with "wherever you go..." wherever you go. apart from being a beautiful treatise on life, it'll deepen your understanding of the process and pick up "meditation made easy's" slack -- a remarkable work in every sense, don't get me wrong. with this book, kabat-zinn has fashioned something of a small miracle. and i, for one, intend giving away as many copies as i can in the vain hope you will stumble across one of them! until then, good luck navigating your way through this amazing, infuriating, beautiful, ugly, ordered, chaotic life.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than pleasantly surprised, Sept. 19 1999
By A Customer
A family member bought this book. I found it sitting on a shelf, glanced at the cover and involuntarily thought to myself "uh oh, granola time," and came within a heartbeat of dismissing the book out of hand. Luckily, I did not. Instead, I read the introduction, and then found myself -- almost in a state of disbelief -- reading on and on. I was amazed to find that the book is not just one more new age book muttering away about a world none of us really lives in. To the contrary, the book is written by someone with a profound understanding of everyday reality, who is astonishingly good at sharing that understanding. This is simply a beautiful little book, beautifully written. I would be curious to know if others are reacting to this book the way I am: I feel compelled to rave about it. I read the book for the first time weeks ago, yet tonight in the grocery store I found myself slowing down, marvelling at the sight of my daughter gaily picking out tomatoes, and consciously basking in the moment. And I'm a middle-aged Republican, not particularly predisposed to spiritual impulses! The author of this book has something timeless and important to impart, and he does so with unusual intelligence and grace. I really like this book -- indeed, I hope I'm forgiven for suspecting that it is a work of genius. I also hope that the author happens to read this review, because he should know how much his work is appreciated!

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›