5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book with an inspirational, comforting message

2.0 out of 5 stars The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Published on March 1 2004 by Cynthia Adair

2.0 out of 5 stars The Five People You Meet in Heaven, March 1 2004
Cynthia Adair (Tustin, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I had heard what a wonderful book this was, but after reading it, I began to think that this is one of those books that people feel obligated to like when really there isn't much there. I definitely wanted to like this book much more than I did, I enjoyed Tuesdays with Morrie, also by Mitch Albom, and I liked the idea of heaven being an exploration of our interconnectedness and an answer to the question "Why am I here?" but it was not the life-altering experience for me that I've heard about from other people...Things I did like about the book (in addition to it being a quick read) was that I learned some things about myself, not so much because the book told me things about myself, more so because it did inspire me to self reflect, but then again, I think that is what books are supposed to do. I also liked that the story showed a portrait of a man who hated what his life had become, but in the end (through the mentors he meets in heaven) finds out that he wasn't as worthless as he believed he was.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book with an inspirational, comforting message, June 27 2006
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Five People You Meet in Heaven (Paperback)
In many ways, The Five People You Meet in Heaven is a simple little book; as is so often the case, the most profound of answers are revealed most clearly in the simplest of explanations. This is not a book about heaven in a religious sense; the truths it establishes are to be found right here in our own lives: every life has a purpose, every person and every action is related, and while you may not be able to discern it now, it all makes sense in the end.

Eddie represents all of us to some degree. Looking back on his life with regret over all the things he should have done or not done, he is almost a ghost of himself. Since the death of his wife, he has basically gone through the motions, working at the same job his father worked before him, dealing with the bad dreams brought on by his wartime experience, watching his body deteriorate to the point that he can barely get around, waiting for nothing, feeling nothing but regret. He always wanted to get away from his father and live an entirely different sort of life, yet he wound up taking over his father's job, living in the same building, failing to achieve any of the hopes and dreams he embraced so tightly as a young man. His wife was his only anchor, and she has been dead a long time now.

When we first meet Eddie, he is about to die. The end is just another beginning, however, and we learn the story of Eddie's life as the novel progresses. Heaven is not what he expected; he finds no peace here at all. Happiness cannot come without understanding, however, and five people are waiting to explain Eddie's life to him. They include people he barely knew or did not know at all, yet he soon learns what a huge influence he had in their earthly lives. Each one imparts to Eddie a lesson he must learn in order to find peace. I won't describe who the five people are or what they tell him; but I will say that the overall message is a really touching and significant one. Understanding is not a pain-free process, but it leads to the complete unburdening of Eddie's soul. The ending was nothing short of beautiful. It would have been easy to sit back and let an overly sappy conclusion ruin the whole story, but Albom does not let that happen.

While this is a great and rewarding read, some readers will never give themselves fully to the story and will thus wonder what the big deal about this book is. For many, though, The Five People You Meet in Heaven will provide an important level of comfort and inspiration for those who see only a past of regrets and no future. We all sometimes wonder why we are here and whether it's even worth going on day after meaningless, monotonous day. This book does not provide the definitive answer to such profound questions, but it does provide an answer - and it is a comforting one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The five reasons to read this book, July 24 2004
By A Customer
Need to employ the "suspension of disbelief" to read a book? Of course you do. Why else read? Who wants life exactly as it is? If you want that, just step outside. But if you want to think, be inspired, learn something, or even just have a good time, read a book such as this.
Reason #1. This is a well-written story
Reason #2. This is food-for-thought.
Reason #3. It's inspirational.
Reason #4. You might learn something.
Reason #5. It's by the guy who wrote TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE.
So.
This is the story of Eddie, chief maintenance person at Ruby Pier amusement park. He thinks his life has been a waste, that he hasn't impacted anyone. At the beginning of the story we meet the elderly Eddie, sad, lonely Eddie. He makes the rides safe for everyone, except one day something goes terribly wrong. In one last heroic act in his sad life, Eddie throws himself in front of a runaway roller coaster to save the life of a little girl who becomes caught on the track. But did he save her? Eddie's death is so sudden that he doesn't know if he saved her or not ... and neither do we. Keep an open mind and you'll like this book. Is it a great piece of literature? Nope. Is it going to win the Pulitzer? Probably not. Is it worth the money you'll pay. Better believe it.
Also recommended, THE BARK OF THE DOGWOOD.

5.0 out of 5 stars A simple and heavenly read!!, Nov. 19 2003
The Five People You Meet In Heaven is Mitch Albom's second novel I have read -- and if you liked Tuesday's with Morrie, I believe you will like this one too. Don't expect anything earth shattering....there is not necessarily ONE profound message that this book sends. Rather - it sends five messages -in the form of people, as they are each presented to Eddie - head of maintenance at Ruby Point amusement park, after he dies trying to save a little girl from a falling cart.
Heaven, instead of a lush garden, is a place where the similar earthly pain is revisited WITH each of the five people that Eddie meets. They are each part of Eddie's life and are people he knows, or they can be distant strangers whose lives have impacted or have been impacted by that of this tired and hopeless 83 year old man.
Though pain is experienced in heaven, there is also a beauty that Eddie finds in bringing closure to each of the five people he meets in his heaven, for even though death is looked at as an "end" Eddie is able to see how it IS really the beginning....
It is the beginning of the journey to finding out what meaning one's life carries with it....and also what one's life has meant to others, and how it has changed them. Even if you didn't realize it when you were on earth. The skies of heaven shed light on those reasons.
While this book was simple and perhaps not as complex and detailed as the drawn out death we see in "Tuesdays With Morrie," I did find that it shed a brighter light on the whole idea of death itself. In his first book, I felt that Albom was making the reader feel comfortable - and coming to terms with - the fact that death is nothing to fear. Yet in this novel, I found that there was a more positive message, because it doesn't focus only on endings and accepting one's wrongdoings.....it is rather more focused on new beginnings, and remembering not just one's own wrongdoings - but those of others (or the perceived ones of others).
It makes me think, who would be the five people in my own heaven?

5.0 out of 5 stars Four Day Read, March 4 2005
By A Customer
A wonderful full circle story, not unlike "My Fractured Life" or "Atonement." An excellent book that reads fast enough to stay interesting. A great book pulls me to read on and I usually finish it in a few days. A pretty good book I will finish in under two weeks. Anything over that and it usually means it is over written. This book pulled me in. It was concise and interesting. A four day read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The five stars you need to give this book, Sept. 8 2005
Imagine finding out what your life was all about. Think it can't happen? You haven't read THE FIVE PEOPLE then. Sure, it's not grounded in "fact," but what is nowadays? I'm truly surprised that so many customers have given this book negative reviews. I felt it was completely wonderful. 83 year old Eddie is a character that I adored from the first page, and I found his journey through heaven heart-warming and insightful. It's a short book, and can be read in the time it takes to watch a film; I can think of few films as worthy as your time as this little book. It's not a long-winded version of "connections" between people, the way BARK OF THE DOGWOOD is (another book I did enjoy), but FIVE PEOPLE is a more compact look at "the other side" of things. Some books touch your life in special ways, this is one of them. I have watched and witnessed Mitch's career mature over the decades and have enjoyed his work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars for The Five People, March 22 2006
This review is from: The Five People You Meet in Heaven (Paperback)
The Five stars you need to give this book . . . and why: While the language in this book is never complex and a Ph.d is definitely not needed to understand the meaning of the book, it is filled with heartwarming stories about a man's life and how his choices in life affected others' lives as well. The story is really sweet and is still one of my favorites, maybe even partially because of its simplicity. It's a classic Mitch Albom novel and one of the few really sentimental novels that I can actually stand. It’s right up there with McCrae’s “Katzenjammer,” both of which I equally enjoyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful! - and wonderfully moving!, Oct. 10 2003
By A Customer
This is one of the most beautiful, soulful books I've read in a long time. Well-paced yet unforced, it asks, in very simple language, some of the most profound questions connected with being alive. It follows Eddie, a self-sacrificing war veteran in his journey from this world to the next -- and in doing so, comes to re-examine his so-called 'meaningless' life. There were parts of this books that brought me openly to tears. I recommend this wonderful book highly! Also recommended: A CHRISTMAS CAROL by Charles Dickens, THE LOSERS' CLUB by Richard Perez

5.0 out of 5 stars It will touch your soul, July 26 2004
By A Customer
Some books touch your life in special ways, this is one of them. I have watched and witnessed Mitch's career mature over the decades and have enjoyed his work. I enjoyed his early days writing sports columns in the Detroit News, I enjoyed his early books, I loved his afternoon radio show, enjoyed Tuesday's With Morrie but this work is nothing short of a literary gem. The book will make you rethink life through one authors vision of death. It will touch your soul. Also recommended "Pyschopath" by Albow, and "He Never Called Again."

5.0 out of 5 stars Most worthwhile read!, Feb. 10 2013
This review is from: The Five People You Meet in Heaven (Paperback)
Would highly recommend this book to everyone!
Beautiful heart warming story with lessons to be learned.
a book you could read over and over again.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven
The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (Paperback - March 1 2006)
CDN$ 16.00 CDN$ 11.32