5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional tribute to family bonds, love and forgiveness.
I was totally absorbed by For One More Day by Mitch Albom, and taken back to a time when I, too, was young and everything seemed innocent, confusing and not always explainable. I highly recommend this read, but be prepared--you'll need a box of Kleenex at your side!

Published on Dec 24 2006 by Cheryl Tardif

3.0 out of 5 stars thankfully short
Chick Benetto has had a troubled life. His father, in his childhood, had told him to be either a father's or mother's boy and to chose. He chose his father only to have him leave when he was eleven. Chick's mother struggled to raise her son but Chick never really knew her and blamed her for his father's absence.

Charley (Chick) has hit the bottom of the barrel...
Published on April 12 2012 by AceofHearts

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional tribute to family bonds, love and forgiveness., Dec 24 2006
This review is from: For One More Day (Hardcover)

Charles "Chick" Benetto has reached the end of his rope, so to speak. He is divorced and has a daughter who won't invite him to her wedding, a father who walked out on the family years ago and a mother who is dead. Chick is a washout as a baseball player and finds solace in one thing--alcohol.

Feeling that he has nothing left to live for, nothing to hold onto, he plots his suicide and returns to his family home where he finds it not as empty as it should be. Through his mother's spirit, Chick learns that things weren't always as they seemed. He asks questions about his life, about his father, and is surprised by some of the answers. Some of the conversations are bittersweet and sad, while others will make you laugh.

A cross between A Christmas Carol and Ghost, this is a beautifully wrought story that delves into the human psyche and into our yearning to go back and change things--if we had just one more day. For everyone who always wanted to go back in time, take back nasty words or find a sense of understanding, For One More Day is an emotional tribute to family bonds, love and forgiveness. One of Mitch Albom's finest works! This novel is that one last chance to see things as they were--and to make things right. Don't we all wish we had that?

[.....]

5.0 out of 5 stars A quick read with a lasting, meaningful impact, Jan. 15 2007
Torval Mork (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: For One More Day (Hardcover)
I was given this book by as a gift, having heard of it, but not having mentioned wanting to read it. As an uninitiated Albom reader, I was amazed at his ability to quickly draw the reader in to the plight of the main character, Charley "Chick" Benetto. The first paragraph had me hooked, and within the first few pages I was immersed in his story of despair. I think that anyone worth their salt will share in his feelings of regret as he expresses the mistakes he's made in his life. One's childhood relationship with their mother, in retrospect, has many opportunities to go one way or the other, and in Chick's case, his is marred by his father's constant refrain "You can be a mother's boy - or a father's boy, but you can't be both" - a decision that no child should have to face. In his desire to please his father, he therefore alienates his mother, leading to a build-up of guilt and self-loathing that serve as a minefield over which he walks continuously in relationships to come. Though his mother has passed on, through a series of events beginning with his attempted suicide, he is given one more day to spend with his mother. He learns of her side of their relationship, and the extreme travails she faced and through which she persevered to give him the best life possible. Despite the short length of this book, there are a few twists and turns that really give this story a interesting and unpredictable path - right to the end I might add!

Mitch Albom's storytelling is absolutely amazing, I look forward to delving into his back catalogue if this book is any reflection of his previous work. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Appreciate Your Mother, Dec 4 2006
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: For One More Day (Hardcover)
This kind and generous book is a mini version of The Five People You Meet in Heaven for revisiting your life to develop another perspective on it. In this case, Charley Benetto comes to see his mother through different eyes. A self-sacrificing woman, Pauline (Posey), had shielded Charley from all of the challenges their little family had faced. All that Charley knew was that his beloved Dad had moved out when Charley was young and didn't reappear in his life until his college years.

The set-up is pretty extreme. Charley goes to pieces after his mother dies. He drinks too much. He loses his money. He drives away his wife and daughter. He loses all his desire to live. Hitting bottom, Charley decides to kill himself. He heads back towards his old home town . . . and finds many surprises . . . including another day with his deceased mother.

The core of the book's appeal is the deft way that Mr. Albom captures the ambiguity many sons have towards the support they receive from their Mothers, while the Mothers are acting like the saints they often are. A good secondary appeal is the gradual exposure of deeply buried family secrets.

It's that latter point that I would like to address a little more. Families keep secrets from children for all kinds of good reasons. But children do become adults, and somewhere along the way the relationships will be improved if the secrets are revealed. You cannot hope to believe in Santa Claus all of your life in the same way you did as a five-year-old. If your parents are still alive (and I hope they will be for many years to come), think about what you don't understand about what they did when you were young. Ask them to tell you the answers. You'll all grow closer in the process.

Having found myself saying the eulogy over my father's coffin after an unexpected death, I also encourage you to be sure that you would feel at peace with yourself if your parents died today. If you wouldn't feel that way, take steps to improve that situation now. You can't be sure you'll be given a second chance like Charlie was.

Mr. Albom's book is a quick and pleasant read. He's a good story teller. But don't expect a book that's nearly as good as The Five People You Meet in Heaven. For One More Day is well below that standard in concept and execution. But it's a book that's well worth reading . . . even if it only makes you more sensitive to your Mother's needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relationships matter, Nov. 14 2006
This review is from: For One More Day (Hardcover)
This book is about spirit, the essence of who we are, and what really matters in our lives. The story is showing Charley's relationship with his parents, in particular his mother. His mother's death made a big impact on him, leading him to attempt suicide, and the reason behind this is revealed slowly through the telling of their relationship. I found the book to be well written and sentimental. It made me reflect on my own relationships. We are all imperfect beings in an imperfect world. This is a book about humanity, its faults and failures, and about redemption.

4.0 out of 5 stars a little BIG book, Nov. 16 2009
This review is from: For One More Day (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book (which I read in two sittings yesterday). I loved "Tuesdays with Morrie", but didn't think the author could come up with another story as good as that so had not read anything else by Mitch Albom. "One More Day" is about a mother's unconditional love, the kind of love we are not likely to find again. It's about people that are still in our hearts long after they have disappeared from our lives, and what it would be like to be able to be with each of them for one more day. It made me want to contact each of my old friends before one of us dies to sort through the misunderstandings, pain and regrets, to relive the happy memories, tell them that I still think of them, that I never stopped loving them, etc. I have done some of that over the last few years and it's amazing how differently each of us has thought about the same situations. Opening oneself up to some old wounds can help to lay down burdens as the passage of time reveals additional aspects, considerations, understandings. I wish I had written this little BIG book. It's an INSPIRATION.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't you wish you could have one more day with someone you've lost?, June 25 2012
This review is from: For One More Day (Hardcover)
This is a very short story but it's an incredible read. It's one of those books that you'll never forget. A man,at the end of his rope returns to his abandoned childhood home to end his life in the same place where it began...only his mom answers the door. The mom whose been dead for years greets him and they spend one more day together. WOW...a chance to tell your lost loved one things that you should have said when they were with you..a chance to explain things you never explained and to to get explanations on things you never understood. Who wouldn't love to have that chance? If you still have parents, this story will make you run home and hug them. Never waste a moment with those you love!

5.0 out of 5 stars For one more day, April 30 2011
This review is from: For One More Day (Paperback)
This book is a must read, again and again. It makes you feel guilty for the careless words you have spoken,the moments you have missed to give a hug, or you have dismissed the kindly instructions or suggestions you have received. All in all,the hope is there for your forgivness. I would reccommend this book for every person to read, it is never to late to pay a little more attention to your family ,heed their advice, and pray that you still have time to correct your mistakes, and say to your parents I LOVE YOU.Yes! I would give anything to see my mother again, even FOR ONE MORE DAY.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moved me..., May 31 2007
Jason Webster "An Argonaut" (CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: For One More Day (Hardcover)
Loved his earlier books, which are filled with poignant insight. I read this one in a single sitting. It might just be my current stage of life but I was really touched by this book. I am not one to typically get emotional when reading a book, but this one got to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 15 2014
A very worthwhile read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, July 5 2014
excellent

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

For One More Day
For One More Day by Mitch Albom (Paperback - April 1 2008)
CDN$ 14.00 CDN$ 10.11