5.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE - simply brilliant - rustic family food
Published on May 28 2009 by Marianne73

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay
This is a good starter cookbook for someone but it wasn't what I expected. I was looking for recipes to simplify my life - this book definitely wasn't that.
Published 12 months ago by David335

5.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE - simply brilliant - rustic family food, May 28 2009
I have hundreds of cookbooks, many of which i love... but I've never found the right everyday book until now. This book is a godsend: simple, sexy, REAL rustic food with simple instructions, useful substitutions and gorgeous photos. Great for beginners -free of fancy ingredients and fancy equipment. If, like me, you cook a few dishes on the weekend to get you through the week, this is the book for you... your family will fight over THESE leftovers.
Thanks, Jamie!

UPDATE: A year later - Everything I cook from this book has made it on to my regular rotation. The Indian curries are divine (and use easy to find good quality curry paste which JO recommends), the meatloaf - although assembly requires some work - is a thing of beauty, the burgers, the beef chili, the chicken fajitas, the sauces, honestly absolutely everything! has been delicious and reheats beautifully. Only one iffy dish (pasta with baked seasoned brie) and that might have been more due to the quality of my brie. Not all of the recipes are speedy (there is a section for quick recipes and they're splendid) but they're all well-laid out and easy to follow and every single one has turned out the kind of food that a year later makes people jump in their car for my LEFTOVERS. You heard me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, May 21 2009
Lena M "Leens" (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
I picked up this book just a few days ago but have already tried to make 2 recipes. Both turned out great! What I like about this book is the simplicity of ingredients. A lot of British cookbooks oftentimes call for things that are either hard or impossible to find in North America. This book is quite basic in that regard, which is great. I really like his section on salads -- it has some great advice on mix/matching. Great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Same book as Ministry of Food, different cover, July 1 2009
Lucie (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is a great cookbook, but please be aware that this is the very same book as Ministry of Food. I foolishly bought this one, thinking it's something new, only to give it to a friend when I discovered it's identical to MINISTRY OF FOOD, just different title. How odd!

5.0 out of 5 stars I own almost all of Jamie Oliver's cookbooks..., May 20 2009
LKH (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
...and I think that this one is quite possibly his best, and even one of the best cookbooks overall that I have in my library. So far, I've tried 4 recipes, and every single one has come out deliciously. And my husband (who does not typically cook) was inspired to give one a go too - he was very pleased with the results! I like all of the pictures of the ingredients during various stages of preparation - it really helps me keep myself on track. I'm looking forward to cooking my way through the rest of the book and also "passing it on" and teaching the recipes to others!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite everyday cook book, Sept. 1 2009
I'm not new in the kitchen. I have a large cookbook libray but most books are suitable for weekends, when I have lots of spare time to devote to cooking. During the week, I'm often too tired to be cooking for a couple hours. Often, I just want a basic recipe that I can build on. Jamie's Food Revolution provides just that: I can cook something quick, simple and tasty and then add a few more ingredients to all more flavour. I'll be using this book a couple, few times a week, I'm sure!

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best cookbook on the market, Jan. 16 2010
Monsetta (Montreal, QC, Canada) - See all my reviews
Intended for beginners and experienced cooks alike. I've rediscovered the joy of cooking simple and delicious meals on a budget. A simple version of each recipe is given in detail, each step shown with excellent pictures, and variations are suggested so that people who have never cooked a meal will learn how to do basic stuff first, and experienced cooks will easily adapt the recipes to their liking. The chapter on ground meat and the one on salads are most original with new and surprising ways to prepare low cost meals. I've tried many recipes from the book and I'll do each one again, they're that good. Highly recommended for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Doable recipes, Nov. 26 2010
Heather Pearson "Heather" (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Over the past few weeks I have cooked and sampled six recipes from this book. As a family we were pleased with each of them and are looking forward to trying more.

Son suggested that I go out and buy a copy right away regardless of the price.

At the same time I have been able to watch a few episodes of Jamie's Ministry of Food. This guy is cool; he has become my new cooking muse. This all started out because he was disgusted with the poor quality of food available to school children in Britain. He realized that many people no longer cooked proper meals at home and that they relied on take-out food every day of the week. Eeks, what a rotten way to try and grow healthy children.

Jamie travelled to Rotherham, England to launch his Ministry of Food project which aimed to teach and encourage people to cook at home and to teach their friends and family how to prepare these easy to cook meals. What a great concept. I found myself cheering along Jamie and his Rotherham cooks.

This book starts with some information on the essential supplies and utensils that a kitchen needs and then talks about basic food stuffs needed to prepare many of the recipes. It is them broke into food chapters including: 20 Minute Meals, Quick Pasta, Easy Curries, Simple Soups, and many more.

I six recipes from the book based on them all being out of my comfort level.

I now have my own copy of this book and have made even more recipes. All of the soups are terrific. The only recipe we didn't like was a the Pan-Fried Curried Cod.

5.0 out of 5 stars My cooking Bible, July 5 2011
G. Larouche (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I got this book after deciding I wanted to improve my cooking skills. It looked complete, diverse and versatile, so I picked it up. Now, I am hooked! Every recipe from it is delicious, even the ridiculously simple ones, like his tomato spaghetti! Now, I do all my sauces from scratch, because nothing compares to the fresh flavors the home-made stuff has. The conversational style he writes the instructions in is great, because it simplifies the process, making the recipes less intimidating. Many recipes also have easily frozen or re-heated leftovers, so no waste! He also gives variants on many recipes, to encourage people to be creative once they mastered the basic, and create their own delicious twists! The results are unfailingly wonderful, making you appreciate the work and energy you put into cooking your meal, which is Jamie's aim with the "Food revolution". The end result is that you just want to cook more, and become more and more passionate about it! He also encourages habits like buying fresh ingredients and organic or free-range meat and eggs, which I just love. I now collect Jamie Oliver books, and I have always felt every penny spent was worth what ended up in my plate!

It's a perfect book for starter cooks, as it makes you see cooking as fun, and not as a chore. I would particularly recommend it to people with limited cooking experience, or who work a lot and don't have time to spend a whole day preparing a Julia Child-style feast, but who care about making their food from scratch and eating healthy. For my part, I can tell you it changed the way I looked at my kitchen and turned cooking into a passion. Everyone who likes cooking ought to have a copy on their shelves.

It's not a vegetarian-friendly book, however. Certain recipes containing meat can be substituted with veggies, but others really can't. I would also recommend getting a copy of the hardcover edition, and it's easier to keep propped open on the counter while you cook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jamie's Food Revolution rocks!, April 22 2010
I. GAVET (Northern Rockies) - See all my reviews
Typically I hate buying cookery books because it's like buying an album by an artist. There are a few recipes/tracks that you like but you never like or use the rest.

This book is awesome, not only is the layout great, but the recipes are easy to follow and the results are mindblowing. Being a UK ex-pat now living in Northern Canada I miss my roasts and curries etc.

It's all great but the curries are out of this world. Hands down better curries than my old take-outs in the UK, sauces I bought at the store (expensive ones)meals at (East) Indian restaurants and the Madhur Jaffrey recipes. Don't get me wrong, I love Madhur's recipes and have been living off them for years contentedly, but Jamie's recipes burst with so much flavour and make me want to spend every spare moment cooking or eating the foods in this book.

Thanks Jamie for revolutionizing my food world and enabling me to love food so much more than before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for new and skilled cooks, June 9 2009
Fairly simple recipes. This is a great gift for new or never before cooks and for poeple who cook all the time.

Jamie's Food Revolution: Rediscover How to Cook Simple, Delicious, Affordable Meals
CDN$ 27.99 CDN$ 17.55