summer boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle sports Tools

on May 28, 2009
I have hundreds of cookbooks, many of which i love... but I've never found the right everyday book until now. This book is a godsend: simple, sexy, REAL rustic food with simple instructions, useful substitutions and gorgeous photos. Great for beginners -free of fancy ingredients and fancy equipment. If, like me, you cook a few dishes on the weekend to get you through the week, this is the book for you... your family will fight over THESE leftovers.
Thanks, Jamie!

UPDATE: A year later - Everything I cook from this book has made it on to my regular rotation. The Indian curries are divine (and use easy to find good quality curry paste which JO recommends), the meatloaf - although assembly requires some work - is a thing of beauty, the burgers, the beef chili, the chicken fajitas, the sauces, honestly absolutely everything! has been delicious and reheats beautifully. Only one iffy dish (pasta with baked seasoned brie) and that might have been more due to the quality of my brie. Not all of the recipes are speedy (there is a section for quick recipes and they're splendid) but they're all well-laid out and easy to follow and every single one has turned out the kind of food that a year later makes people jump in their car for my LEFTOVERS. You heard me.
on May 21, 2009
I picked up this book just a few days ago but have already tried to make 2 recipes. Both turned out great! What I like about this book is the simplicity of ingredients. A lot of British cookbooks oftentimes call for things that are either hard or impossible to find in North America. This book is quite basic in that regard, which is great. I really like his section on salads -- it has some great advice on mix/matching. Great book!
on July 1, 2009
This is a great cookbook, but please be aware that this is the very same book as Ministry of Food. I foolishly bought this one, thinking it's something new, only to give it to a friend when I discovered it's identical to MINISTRY OF FOOD, just different title. How odd!
on May 20, 2009
...and I think that this one is quite possibly his best, and even one of the best cookbooks overall that I have in my library. So far, I've tried 4 recipes, and every single one has come out deliciously. And my husband (who does not typically cook) was inspired to give one a go too - he was very pleased with the results! I like all of the pictures of the ingredients during various stages of preparation - it really helps me keep myself on track. I'm looking forward to cooking my way through the rest of the book and also "passing it on" and teaching the recipes to others!
on September 1, 2009
I'm not new in the kitchen. I have a large cookbook libray but most books are suitable for weekends, when I have lots of spare time to devote to cooking. During the week, I'm often too tired to be cooking for a couple hours. Often, I just want a basic recipe that I can build on. Jamie's Food Revolution provides just that: I can cook something quick, simple and tasty and then add a few more ingredients to all more flavour. I'll be using this book a couple, few times a week, I'm sure!
on April 22, 2010
Typically I hate buying cookery books because it's like buying an album by an artist. There are a few recipes/tracks that you like but you never like or use the rest.

This book is awesome, not only is the layout great, but the recipes are easy to follow and the results are mindblowing. Being a UK ex-pat now living in Northern Canada I miss my roasts and curries etc.

It's all great but the curries are out of this world. Hands down better curries than my old take-outs in the UK, sauces I bought at the store (expensive ones)meals at (East) Indian restaurants and the Madhur Jaffrey recipes. Don't get me wrong, I love Madhur's recipes and have been living off them for years contentedly, but Jamie's recipes burst with so much flavour and make me want to spend every spare moment cooking or eating the foods in this book.

Thanks Jamie for revolutionizing my food world and enabling me to love food so much more than before.
on June 19, 2011
This is a beautiful looking book, and the meals inside are also delicious. Some of it may seem a little basic to someone used to cooking, and it sometimes feels as though he's trying to use up pages with lots of photos and introductions to the dishes, but it's inspiring to have a read through and he encourages you to be creative. The ingredients are easy to find and I found the book very unpretentious. It really is for everyone. (Except perhaps vegetarians - very meat based and the focus is on yummy homemade food, but definitely not low fat!)

I've made one dish that didn't work out, but the meatloaf and roasted chicken were incredible and I will definitely be using this book for years to come!
on January 16, 2010
Intended for beginners and experienced cooks alike. I've rediscovered the joy of cooking simple and delicious meals on a budget. A simple version of each recipe is given in detail, each step shown with excellent pictures, and variations are suggested so that people who have never cooked a meal will learn how to do basic stuff first, and experienced cooks will easily adapt the recipes to their liking. The chapter on ground meat and the one on salads are most original with new and surprising ways to prepare low cost meals. I've tried many recipes from the book and I'll do each one again, they're that good. Highly recommended for everyone.
on June 9, 2009
Fairly simple recipes. This is a great gift for new or never before cooks and for poeple who cook all the time.
on April 16, 2010
Jamie Oliver is on a mission to change how our families eat. I have to admit that some recipes just burst with flavor and are very easy to make. Some my family didn't appreciate quiet as much, though I did. I'd say it's a book for a cook who ran out of ideas on simple healthy meals. Most of it is fast and flavorful. The only issue for me was that some recipes call for items that I do not normally keep in my fridge and they require additional trips to the grocery store.