Published on Dec 26 2007 by Reviewing for dummies

3.0 out of 5 stars Read This
If you can get passed the initial idea that Esther can become "possessed" by a spiritual council whom they call themselves "Abraham," there are still some "questionable" messages in this book.

In a nutshell, you attract what you think about. Whether you don't want to attract it, or you do want to attract it. It doesn't matter. Thus, a person being robbed is at...
Published on June 16 2007 by Glenn Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars The heart is seat of all emotions which really activate your inner creative power for success, Dec 26 2007
This review is from: The Law of Attraction: The Basics of the Teachings of Abraham (Paperback)
In The Law of Attraction: The Basics of the Teachings of Abraham, Jerry and Esther Hicks speak of this powerful, consistent law that when you get a sense of what your vibration is, and when you pay attention to the way you feel so you can feel how much of who you really are you are focusing in this moment, then you will never again be uncomfortable or surprised about anything that happens to you, or to anyone else. No one else is keeping you from anything that you want. There is not an agency, not a parent, not an influence, there is not another -- nothing can prevent you from the fulfillment of your own desires -- only you. And only you can do it through offering a vibration that is not in alignment with your desires. And, your emotions are telling you in every moment whether or not you are allowing or resisting, whether or not you are in alignment or misalignment with your own desires.

By understanding The Basics of the Teachings of Abraham, and more importantly, understanding the way you feel, you'll discover your creative abilities. There is nothing that you cannot be or do or have; there is nothing that you cannot reach for and achieve -- and there is nothing that needs to take a long time to come to you. Pay attention to the way you feel. And make your essential, determined stance be that you're going to make the best of things. No matter where you are, you're going to make the best of it. Now repeat that to yourself. Other's will discover, through their exposure to you, their own joy. You never teach anyone anything by pointing out what they're doing wrong and then trying to discipline them into doing something that you believe is right. All you do is distort their awareness of the only guidance that will ever be of any value to them.

Jerry and Esther Hicks do an amazing job explaining The Basics of the Teachings of Abraham. There is one fundamental principle for you to attract your desired goal. It is your feelings. It is not thinking, but feeling what you think about that bring success to your desire or bring failure to what you fear. As a man think in his heart, so is he.

Help raise awareness; support cancer research!

4.0 out of 5 stars Covers the Law of Attraction, Deliberate Creation, Art of Allowing, Segment Intending, and More, April 9 2007
"The best scenario is to desire something and to bring yourself into the belief or expectation of achieving it...If you have a strong desire for something but you doubt your ability to achieve it, it cannot come, at least not right now, for you must bring your thought of desire and your thought of belief into alignment." - From the book

For several decades, a group of advanced spiritual teachers known as Abraham has channeled messages through Esther Hicks. What began as a series of audios has now been compiled in book and deck form, with Esther and her husband, Jerry, disseminating three major laws advocated by Abraham: The Law of Attraction, the Law of Deliberate Intent, and the Law of Allowing.

In The Law of Attraction: The Basic Teachings of Abraham, the Hicks' convey the fundamentals of the "Creative Workshop" which is the place that we enter, every day, as we ponder what we want--and don't want--out of life. They assert that individuals are always creating and attracting, regardless of ignorance of the three Universal Laws. We create by default, they say, just by thinking and speaking along certain lines--believing in the likelihood of a result and gathering confirming data from our environment. Here's an example of this creation from the book:

"The steady offering of details of illness is very influential in the increasing sickness in your society. If you allow yourself to focus upon the constant barrage of unpleasant statistics regarding the never-ending stream of possible physical maladies, it cannot help but affect your personal point of attraction."

Here are a few more snippets of Abraham's wisdom as conveyed in The Law of Attraction, as channeled by Esther:

"Your negative emotion is your indication that you hold beliefs that are contrary to your own desire."

"The more you think of what you want, the more the Law of Attraction will bring the evidence of it to you, until you *will* believe it."

"If there are others who see something in you that they do not approve of, most often you see their disapproval reflected back through their eyes, and you feel that you have gone wrong in some way. And we say unto you, it is not *your* lack, it is *theirs*. It is *their* inability to be the *Allower* that brings forth their negative emotion; it is not *your* imperfection."

"When you consider many subjects at the same time, you generally do not move forward strongly toward any of them, for your focus and your power is diffused, whereas if you are focusing upon that which is most important in any point of time, you move forward more powerfully toward that."

Now, let me share a bit of my impressions and experience. As a teaching, I was first introduced to the Law of Attraction by Michael Losier. In my opinion, his book of the same name is far superior to this title by the Hicks'. I had experience with manifesting what I desired before I read Michael's book, so I was familiar with the law of attraction. However, I have some misgivings about a portion of it, and here

is my reasoning:

Most times I read something on the Law of Attraction, I feel sick to my stomach. I was totally turned off by Lynn Grabhorn's Excuse Me! Your Life is Waiting, but found Michael Losier's book Law of Attraction pretty darn sensible.

Yet, I can't help but feel the Law of Attraction is a bit simplistic--offering only a portion of the big picture. I'm especially troubled that the Law of Attraction seems to fly in the face of the wisdom of avatars like Jesus. For example, the Bible encourages compassion with passages like "weep with those who weep". Yet, books like the Hicks' pretty much advocate turning away from anything unpleasant and instead focusing on "feeling good". After all, those poor souls are only attracting what matches their vibration--so let them suffer with their miserable magnetism.

I agree with Abraham that being joyful is the best gift we can offer to the world, but I can't see how burying heads in the sand will add good vibes to the planet. Yes, what you focus on increases--I agree with that, too. But to run away from those who are hurting and suffering merely because we don't want to taint our precious vibration field... It smacks of "fiddling while Rome burns".

While I appreciate the wisdom of the Law of Deliberate Intent, the Law of Allowing and even much of the Law of Attraction-- I can't help but feel something is missing from this picture. (Perhaps...heart?) I'm very big on "over thinking" to my detriment. And even Abraham advises that it's best to "follow good feelings" rather than monitor our thoughts 24/7. But for one such as I who is a "mental type", it's not so easy to turn off the constant evaluation of thoughts when buying into the Law of Attraction. It can create a cycle of fear, in my opinion.

To be fair Abraham *does* address this very thing in The Law of Attraction:

"...some of you feel uncomfortable with what seems like the overwhelming task of monitoring thoughts, sorting them out, and offering only those that will yield things that you *do* want. We do not encourage a monitoring of thoughts, for we agree that would be incredibly time-consuming and cumbersome, but instead recommend a conscious utilization of your Emotional Guidance System."

I totally concur with this idea, but the rub is that in order to be aware of how we create by default, we need to educate ourselves, in part, as to how our thought patterns, expectations, and emotional state contributes to manifestation. And that involves a degree of thinking/monitoring--at least in the beginning stages--which can be a bit frustrating.

I love the information on Segment Intending and the Art of Allowing, and know them to be very helpful in deliberate creation. I just feel that the way in which Abraham's wisdom is offered is a bit "top heavy". If you're just beginning your journey towards Deliberate (conscious) Creation, I recommend that you get Michael Losier's book, as well as two decks from the Hicks' (also published by Hay House): the Ask and It Is Given Cards and The Teachings of Abraham: Well-Being Cards.

However, if you want thorough information straight from Abraham's mouth, then you'll no doubt want to get this book. The Law of Attraction is quite readable, but the way some of the wisdom is presented may give you a bit of a headache--especially as you juggle some of the ideas on attracting undesired situations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mechanics of Attraction, April 17 2012
"The Law of Attraction: The Basics of The Teachings of Abraham" by Esther and Jerry Hicks is a book that offers unique ideas on accomplishing plans. The following is a small sampler of what is written:
Page 41: A creative workshop technique
Page 87: A deliberate manifestation principle
Page 145: Why the memories of past lives are sometimes challenging to access (for those who believe in reincarnation).
The only reason why I give the "Law of Attraction:The Basics of The Teachings of Abraham" by Esther and Jerry Hicks four stars is due to the reason for why prejudice occurs (pages 57-58). This is because I respectfully disagree with the idea that racial discrimination is caused solely by the law of attraction. Additionally, it would have been good to include at least one idea on how to prevail in the face of such tests. Yes, I understand that self-confidence is essential to prevailing in the face of racial discrimination and any other forms of prejudice. It is just that it would have been inspiring to include a story or two of how someone used the law of attraction to overcome the preconceptions of others. Aside from this caveat, "The Law of Attraction: The Basics of the Teachings of Abraham" by Esther and Jerry Hicks is a fun book for those who crave ideas on channeling thoughts with personal objectives.

5.0 out of 5 stars It sounds true!, Aug. 4 2011
I was initially skeptical about the book, ordered it from the library, was planning to skim through it, but ended up reading it. I would say it sounds genuine. In any case, even if things don't materialize the way they say, the book has tremendous benefits -- it wants you to look at life and things in a positive way, and if you can imagine that your life will be better than it is right now, this in itself is of tremendous benefit. I think our mind wants positivity, and for its core messages, the book is worth it and much more. How much are you spending on this book -- less than
$20 -- you spend it on three big macs! I would say go for it, trust the message, trusting itself changes all.

4.0 out of 5 stars It Pays To Obey The Law!, Jan. 10 2007
What I call "The Flow," Abraham calls "The Law of Attraction." But by any name, it is wonderful to know that we live in an infinitely abundant universe that is continually orchestrating the fulfillment of our desires. Although I got a little more out of their book, Ask And It Is Given, I found this particular book to be a great reminder of these marvelous teachings, and it is a great way to keep these concepts in mind without having to read the same book over and over again.

Steven Lane Taylor, Author of Row, Row, Row Your Boat: A Guide for Living Life in the Divine Flow

5.0 out of 5 stars Really a good book on the law of attraction, Sept. 20 2014
Really a good book on the law of attraction! Everything is explained clearly. I recommend this book to anyone who is searching for answers. I am looking forward to reading other books from Esther Hicks!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must in your library, March 7 2014
If I were stranded on an island with nothing else to read this would be the one that I would want to have with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, Sept. 8 2013
This is a really good book and it's easy to read.
It's makes you wonder how things in life really works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, May 23 2013
This book changed my life while "under it's influence"! The information was very easy to understand and apply. It has been over a year since reading it and I feel I must re-read and remind myself of how easy it is to make the simple (and tough) things in life so much more enjoyable (and able to conquer). I highly recommend this read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The manual of your life, Jan. 8 2013
I have to admit that I was hesitant to order this book when I saw it, but having listened to some of Ester's seminars, i decided to give it a go. Am I ever glad I did. I and now reading it for a second time, because of the incredible information in it.
If I could pick one book that my kids would study in school, this would be it! This book is literally the manual to how your life works. It explains why you have gotten what you have in your life as well as how you can change it to what you want. This is not just theory, but actual instructions that if you follow them, will change your life.
I am reading it for a second time, because of the changes I am experiencing already, by just applying just a bit of it, and now I want more.
If you are tired of working like a dog and having nothing in your life, while you see those that don't work anywhere near as hard as you, have more, READ THIS BOOK!
STOP! If you already know how life works, don't waste your time or money on this book. It won't help you, guaranteed. But if you are willing to try anything to improve your life, read this book as soon as you can.

The Law of Attraction: The Basics of the Teachings of Abraham
The Law of Attraction: The Basics of the Teachings of Abraham by Jerry Hicks (Paperback - Sept. 25 2006)
CDN$ 14.99 CDN$ 10.82