4.0 out of 5 stars Great Memoir
Published on March 7 2012 by EwaMorgan

3.0 out of 5 stars Taking it with a pinch of salt...
Mixed feelings about this book. I did enjoy it however and some things that I already believed in are clearer thanks to the book. I did have a chuckle because the base message has been out there for thousands of years: “love your neighbour as you love yourself”. What some people seem to have been doing is loving themselves as they love their neighbour –...
Published 23 months ago by millo

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Memoir, March 7 2012
This review is from: Dying To Be Me: My Journey from Cancer, to Near Death, to True Healing (Hardcover)
As an avid listener of Hay House Radio, I first heard of Anita's book on Wayne Dyer's weekly show. I was immediately drawn to the book because of Anita's remarkable story which had been verified by medical doctors. I awaited its release and finally downloaded it to my Kindle. The book is a quick read - I read most of it in one Saturday - and it is very nicely written, sectioned off to talk about the Anita's life, the NDE, and how the experience has affected the author's life after coming back from "the other side" and miraculously healing from years of cancer in a matter of weeks. The memoir portion of the book is exceptional and succinct. I did wish when I was reading it that the author would share more of her emotions during the experiences of her childhood and adulthood, since she concludes later that the onset of her cancer was due to a fear-based life. It didn't really come through in the first section of the book and much of the emotional background was left to be read in between the lines. I wished that Anita had been more bold in those descriptions.
Anita's description of the NDE and of being on the "other side" is definitely the highlight of this memoir. It's no wonder that people who have had this experience lose their fear of death. And since every fear in our lives is based on the fear of death, it's very inspiring for a reader to realize that once the fear of death has been resolved in our lives, there isn't much else in life to be afraid of. This frees us to live life to its fullest. Thank you so much Anita for sharing this profound experience with us!
The latter portion of the book I took to be inspirational. The author discourages any advice-giving or following any prescribed platitudes. She simply encourages readers to lean into our bliss and to love ourselves: from this, she tells us, we too can live authentic lives.
I will also mention that there are advanced meditation programs that people can take during which "the other side" can be glimpsed, and we too can experience a fulfilling life from the inside out, without having to have an NDE ourselves. Anita's memoir has encouraged me to sign up for a program like this and has confirmed in me that this is the right path for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, April 28 2012
I heard about this book on PBS during a fund raiser wtih Wayne Dyer. I have read it three times in a month and it has opened up my mind and expanded my understanding of the nature of being.
Anita's story, which she said was not easily described in words, can help to heal the mind of fear and death. A excellent book that can be life changing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just about cancer !, July 12 2012
Anita's first book Dying to be Me is an absolute gem! An easy read ( I finished it in less than two days)...I found in the days and weeks after that I often had conversations with people on various topics and found myself referencing something from the book........this is not a book about dying, its not a book about cancer.....this is a book about living!! about being you who truly are!! about letting go of fear and stress and worry.....it's a book about why we are really here!

Starting with the authors life growing up in an East Indian family in Hong Kong and attending British Catholic schools, Anita lays a foundation for us that shows how the way we think affects our physical bodies. Anita points out that cancer is just our minds way of getting our attention that we need to change something in the way we are thinking. Cancer is not the enemy, it's just an indicator of how we have been thinking. Change the thoughts the indicator has to change too.
After her near death experience Anita comes back to live her life to the fullest. When asked in the back of the book whether she had changed her way of eating since her NDE , she replies that she has indeed but not in the way you'd think. She now eats whatever makes her happy, and if that means chocolate or a nice glass of wine that's okay! She still eats healthy but from a place of joy not fear that not doing so will bring about disease.

This is a book that everyone should read regardless of religion. The wisdom found in this book can be applied to every day issues with amazing results.

I received this book for free from Hay House Publishing for review purposes.
I was not financially compensated for this post. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing., April 4 2012
Anita's book is very simple and very honest description of her life before, during, and after her NDE. Her story really touched my heart and my soul mostly because of knowing that this story is real and that it really happened. This book is such amazing opportunity to learn that there is something else, something beyond what we can see and perceive in our day to day lives. Anita is putting really huge impact throughout the whole story on loving ourselves and accepting ourselves the way we are. Not trying to be somebody we are not or forcing ourselves to be in certain way, criticizing ourselves and trying to change who we truly are to satisfy the society or people around us. She teaches you in this book that self-love and self-acceptance and true enjoyment of who we are even with our negative traits are the most important. Reading this book I realized that most of my life I tried to shape myself into somebody, controlling myself, changing the way I behaved and thought denying who I really was or felt at the time. I wanted to be a positive and good person so people will like me and will be happy around me. But most of the time suppressing my true feelings and emotions. We all do this.... And then we don't like ourselves when we feel negative emotions or act the way we know we shouldn't. Anita teaches you that it's OK to feel negative emotions. That you still should love yourself doesn't matter how you feel. You are still worth the love! The Universe created you in certain way, gave you certain traits and qualities and you should be in peace with them even though society may perceive them as negative at times. You are You and You are perfect the way You are! Love yourself, enjoy yourself and celebrate your uniqueness.

5.0 out of 5 stars MAGNIFICENT LIFE-CHANGING BOOK!!!!!***, March 31 2012
First off, I'll admit I am not one for the "cookie cutter" spiritual self-help publishing franchises, and I am extremely skeptical about anything that gets pumped out using a medium who's primary motivation is profit.

Being a near death experiencer myself, it troubles me to see these experiences being exploited for religious purposes like we currently see running rampant with Colton Burpo's million best seller which is a signature of the quality these cookie cutters offer, and reminds me of the quote "don't let the truth get in the way of a good story."

Books like "Dying to be Me" are usually relegated to the self-publishing venues because they are not what the cookie cutters would consider a winner (profit!). A good example of the quality of self-publishing is August Goforth's excellent book "The Risen".

Yet, once in a while the cookie cutters manage to get it right and back a refreshing gem, and "Dying to Be Me" by first time author Anita Moorjani is such a book . This to me is what makes this book so exciting and an exceedingly rare accomplishment and testament to just how powerful and beautiful Anita's NDE experience is. As an experiencer myself, and someone who has had the opportunity to get to know Anita for several years now since her own experience, I can say that Anita can speak for me anytime because she doesn't tell you how, she shows you how...every day...in every deed...in every movement. She truly walks the walk and that is her gift to us. In Anita being who she is, she gives me the self-confidence to attempt.

Anita sets this book up magnificently (pun intended) and if the reader is at all interested in NDE's, this should be a must read!

Anita openly shares her cultural upbringing, bares all and holds nothing to chance. Her honesty is not only welcoming, it is truly refreshing. Cultural influences are very important, and often confusing aspect of understanding any NDE. Because the experience itself is so "real", most people get lost in the cultural morasses that forms the dawn of awakening. There are very few experiencers that are willing to admit to this truth, or are willing to look beyond it. For them their experience is a verification of what they want Gods to be.

Very few can get past that and see the cultural influences are generated to comfort and alleviate the experiencers own fear of death. For once, we have an experiencer who is willing to tell it like it is, to share what happens when you finally release and let go of your own expectations of What God needs to be. The results are profound, and what makes Dying to be Me a true gem for those willing to let go of their security blankets. What is so special about Anita's account, and this book, is that she takes us further into the death process than most, because she gave into the moment and released her fear of death that held her experience within the confines of her cultural expectations. This is something VERY FEW are willing or capable of doing or willing to share and what makes this book so important. She should be applauded for her honesty, and her tenacity to be who she is regardless of incredible pressure to conform to cultural, societal and political demands that are usually required by the cookie cutter self-help franchise which usually shy's away from such material as unprofitable.

This is what is truly remarkable about "Dying to be Me" for me. Anita has an incredible gift in bringing words to life, to bring the emotion to the words that create the images in the readers mind , which in and of itself is usually impossible to accomplish. Her description of her experience itself, is so beautifully written, it sent me to tears more than once. She brought my experience back to life. Her experience, so like my own, differs only in cultural manifestations. Her NDE commentary will touch your heart in ways even you won't be able to understand. Allow it to touch your heart, and I promise you it will change the way you view yourself, and the world.

Right now the reader has a plethora of NDE books out there to peruse, thanks to the cookie cutter school of self-help publishing. There are many choices. In one corner we have Colton Burpo, who saw Jesus, and therefore sells millions of books because his experience plays to what people WANT or NEED to hear... In corner two we have Anita Moorjani, who tells it like it is.

Anita Moorjani ain't Colton Burpo, nor does she have to be. Two contrasting versions. It now becomes our choice what you choose to believe and trust in. I'll trust Anita any day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, July 19 2013
Anita brings a lots of insight from her 'death' experience, she is inviting everyone to accept themselves completely (their ego, intellect, body and spirit) because "it is who you are, there is nothing to forgive, nothing to attain. You already are everything you need to be". She also believes that Paradise is a state not a place and all the rules and religions that human beings created are illusion. We should only love ourselves and be true and kind to ourselves as well as fully live the present moment, that was her conclusion from her death trip. It is only our ego that creates stories and tries to believe them, it is also the ego that divides the humanity by creating dogmas, rules, judgments and religions. Another interesting idea from this book is that you can't give love to others if you don't give it yourself first, when you love yourself, you can start loving others and give them much more than when you give them by obligation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book, March 29 2012
Pamela Fraser (Canada) - See all my reviews
I bought this book after watching Wayne Dyers PBS special. A great investment. I love the book and getting all my friends to read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dying to Be Me, Oct. 10 2013
Perceptive, passionate, and pushing the boundaries of many belief systems; this wonderful personal account of an NDE will inspire, and may be the catalyst to re-examine how we live. I found Ms. Moorjani’s account riveting, candid, and profound. Her experience lines up with many quantum theories on the vastness of our true existence; which suggests we haven’t even scratched the surface. The message of love and hope in this book is powerful. All who have faith that we are more than our corporeal vessels; and that we will continue to exist past our bodies’ expiration dates, will be grateful for Ms. Moorjani’s bravery in sharing this much-needed revelation.
My only nit-picky criticism was there was some redundancy; which I’m surprised wasn’t edited out (this lost 1 star on that fact alone). I do recommend this title as an inspirational, thought-provoking read. No one can say anecdotal evidence is either right, or wrong, since we simply do not possess the tools to measure it’s accuracy, so for those who search for scientific evidence on matters of life after death, or the soul’s true existence – either look elsewhere, or wait another 100 years for it to be proven. Until then, you’ll have to take these personal NDEs on faith.

4.0 out of 5 stars An inspirational read!, Aug. 31 2013
Jaden Winfree (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed reading this book. I devoured it in just one day because I didn't want to put it down. There are some real tidbits of spiritual wisdom in this book. I'm grateful to Anita (and the publisher) for sharing parts of her journey with the world. This book has helped confirm and change some of my beliefs in relation to disease, crime (including our criminal justice system), and 'reality' in general - including environmental issues. I would not hesitate to recommend this book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A story of hope for everyone, Aug. 16 2013
Karl - Tiny Thought Guy (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
From the outset I want to say that I read this book several months ago and shortly thereafter I lent it out to someone who had just been diagnosed with cancer. This means that I do not have the book in front of me while doing this review and I will just rely on my memory and share what were the most significant aspects of the book to the best of my recollection.

The reason I shared what I did in the first sentence was because I feel that THE most important message in this book is one of hope. People who are diagnosed with cancer should know of cases like Anita’s because if her severe, essentially terminal, cancer can be overcome then certainly there should be hope for almost everyone. In her book, “Dying to Be Me ”, Anita shares her personal history pre-cancer, as well as the events that transpired in the hospital as she went into a coma and finally what has transpired since her miraculous recovery.

Although the initial chapters in the book, where Anita describes her upbringing and aspects of her culture, were not as relevant to me as they likely are for many others, I felt that these chapters did indeed provide a relevant context for the events that later occurred in her life.

After the initial discussion of Anita’s past, she goes on to share, in a very candid manner, how her body was ravaged by tumors and how the medical practitioners caring for her in the hospital eventually came to the conclusion that Anita was in the last moments of her life. Her NDE, similar to so many other reports from people who had end-of-life experiences, is one of great love and indeed this is her main message upon returning to the land of the living: life is about love.

Overall, I would recommend this book to everyone because we are all touched in some way or another by this disease known as cancer; furthermore, as much as many people choose to ignore this fact, life is a terminal disease and I believe that Anita’s story can bring a degree of comfort almost everyone.

Dying To Be Me: My Journey from Cancer, to Near Death, to True Healing