4.0 out of 5 stars A darker side of Alice
Published on May 9 2011 by Heather Pearson

2.0 out of 5 stars It had moments, but falls really short.
Published on April 7 2011 by Karoline

4.0 out of 5 stars A darker side of Alice, May 9 2011
Heather Pearson "Heather" (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Alice in Zombieland (Paperback)
I have read and watched a variety of Alice based books and movies since I was young. None of them have held my attention like this version. Alice in Zombieland kept me laughing page after page. I couldn't help but compare each of the scenes with my memory of how it was presented in a more traditional rendition. Alice is still a sweet, innocent girl, though her perfectly pressed dress and starched pinafore does take quite a beating and bloodying.

The story starts with Alice and her sister outside enjoying the lovely day. This time they are in a graveyard., and it is a black rat that distracts Alice and leads her astray and down into an open grave. The tale continues to parallel Mr. Lewis's original story line, though the descriptive details and much more dark and dead. Zombie dead that is.

As with the first version, I loved the description of the Mad Hatter's tea party. The teacups are all there, ample food to share and the same company. It was the change in the details that kept me in rapt attention. While I have had many tea parties with my daughter when she was young, I couldn't successfully imitate this one.

I don't know that zombie books will ever become a first choice read for me, but this one kept me coming back for more. I loved the descriptions of the blood spurts and gore, the flesh ragged bones lying around and the listless responses of the 'cards'. Frequently I would stop and read a particularly gruesome passage out loud to which ever family member happened to be in the same room with me. I fear that they now think I am truly demented. If you have read Mr. Carroll's version and are looking for a read that is a lot less sweet, give Alice and Zombieland a read.

2.0 out of 5 stars It had moments, but falls really short., April 7 2011
Karoline (Richmond BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Alice in Zombieland (Paperback)
The book certainly had its' fun moments! Zombieland was well written and well thought out. It certainly put a funny twist on Wonderland (even though Wonderland is quirky to begin with anyway). It's definitely not for the squeamish, as body parts are flying everywhere and Alice gets a craving for a bite of flesh once very so often. The characters are all there, they're just zombified. The only difference I have seen is instead of a White Rabbit, you have a Black Rat instead. (If I am wrong, forgive me, it's been a while since I've read the original Alice in Wonderland).

The zombie element does not really get in the way of the plot, so nothing much has really changed. My favorite moment was the croquet game between the Queen and Alice - it's more of a croquet game with body parts which was laughable and was fun to read through.

Even though it was a fun idea, I felt like there just could have been more to this story. There just wasn't enough to it that I could fully enjoy the book. To me, it felt as if they just copied and pasted the zombie bits of the story and added it to Alice in Wonderland, and just changed the title appropriately. It just felt like a very haphazard read.

Perhaps what I wanted to see was, a twist to the plot to enhance the zombie aspect of the novel. Not just zombies added. It did feel like all you got was a simple add on to the story (something similar to an expansion pack for a game). More could be done with the combination but sad to say, there really wasn't anything to it.

It was a clever idea, and it had potential, but a lot more could have been done with this book. Instead, what you got was a few cut and paste moments of zombie goodness. Some parts were good and fun to read, but it just seemed to be lacking in something big to make this book exceptionally good and read worthy.

Alice in Zombieland
Alice in Zombieland by Lewis Carroll (Paperback - March 15 2011)
CDN$ 18.99 CDN$ 13.71