2,092 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lovely Bones- -A lovely novel Indeed
Published on Jan. 3 2005 by Ariana Marte

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the paper it is written on!
If you want to read a poorly organized book with stock characters, and dangling story lines, then this is the book for you!
Published on Nov. 30 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the paper it is written on!, Nov. 30 2003
This review is from: The Lovely Bones (Hardcover)
I had the opportunity to read this book with my book club, and we all agreed it was poorly written. The characters are one-dimensional and not credible. I understand that the story is quite fantastic and incredible, but that does not mean the characters should be so unbelievable. I didn't find any of the characters "real", not Ruth, Lindsey or Samuel... to name a few! I am sure this is not the way real people act, even when placed in such an awful situation of a young girl's murder.
There were "dangling elements" in the story that the author never tied up and finished properly. It was as though she wasn't entirely sure how to end the book so she left all kinds of story lines open. This is indeed the sign of a poorly written book! Why did Ruth start out liking girls? Then all of a sudden she didn't? Why did Ruana say she would "start with Ruth..."? These are only a few of the many questions I have.
From a forensics, and crime investigation point of view, this book also falls short. I do understand that the book starts out in the 1970's, but I still think that a criminal investigation conducted then would have been much more thorough. I mean, the murderer lived right in the neighborhood of the girl - I would think the police would have at least investigated close to home.
Lastly, although the book struggles along the whole way, with choppy bits, and pointless story lines not contributing to anything in the end, there is a major event that happens in the end (I won't give the end away!) that is just too much! This is a very poor ending! If Susie Salmon was in heaven, and she didn't really have any relationships or challenges to overcome, how is it that she was able to mature and evolve? You could point out an endless list of impossibilities like this - and yes I understand that it is just the author's interpretation of heaven. It's just I really think you need people and situations to develop and grow as a human being, not just "fluffy" heaven that is like high school , and presents no opportunities for personal growth.
It was a very frustrating read overall, and I am desperately trying to get rid of my copy! Save your money for another book!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lovely Bones- -A lovely novel Indeed, Jan. 3 2005
Ariana Marte (Bronx, N.Y, U.S) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lovely Bones (Hardcover)
This novel deals with the most heartbreaking situation one can go through-- the loss of a loved one in the most inhumane way. Though a fiction story, its detailed language will make you cry and hope, at the same time making you truly believe and forget it's just a book. The descriptive and vivid language will also take a life of its own, easily allowing you to visualize every moment, every cry, and every ravaging stare in a character's eyes. The Lovely Bones is a story that made me believe in the impossible and feel the pain of every character, especially of the narrator. A heart-warming story of love and tragedy full of hope, disappointment, light and heartache; truly a life lesson indeed. And of course, a life lesson you won't be able to put down!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely--no bones about it, Nov. 15 2004
This review is from: The Lovely Bones (Hardcover)
Sebold has one previous work to her credit, that being the nonfiction LUCKY, a haunting account of the author's rape at age 18. THE LOVELY BONES is a haunting work as well, but in the literal sense of the word --- for the narrator of THE LOVELY BONES is a 14-year-old girl murdered during the commission of an unspeakable act committed by a quiet, monstrous man of such vileness that the reader wants nothing other than to reach into the pages of the book, grab him, and rip his face off. The victim, Susie Salmon ("like the fish," as she tells us early on), relates her fate with a poetic matter-of-factness; she is at peace as she narrates, from her heaven, an account of what happened before and after her death as well as the repercussions of her death upon her family. What she wants is that her family achieve peace and that her murderer encounter justice. You can tell THE LOVELY BONES is a going to be sad just by reading the back.....so is that what you want? to cry? just like you did when you read "where the red fern grows" as a child? i think most people picked up this book hoping and praying that it wouldn't be as sad as it seems- and luckily, it isn't. the whole point of the story is how we can overcome loss, even at the darkest hours of our life. i hope that nobody close to me dies in such a horrible way as suzy did, but i know that deep down i will remember this book. hopefully, it gives light to those people who are overcome with terrible loss, and inspiration to those of us who have been lucky enough never to have had a loved one perish. this book is now one of my favorites, because although not all of the characters are likeable, they all overcome some sort of obstacle. If you're one for a page turner like LB, then you might try THE BARK OF THE DOGWOOD. It's funny, harrowing, VERY unusual, and above all, enjoyable and frank. Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, July 6 2004
This review is from: The Lovely Bones (Hardcover)
I was really looking forward to reading this book after hearing so many people rave about it, but I found it incredibly disappointing. As mentioned by another reviewer, I too had to force myself to finish it - I kept hoping that the book would redeem itself by the end, but the writing was not strong enough to follow through on what, initially, is an interesting idea.

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of time, May 2 2004
This review is from: The Lovely Bones (Hardcover)
The book would have been perfect if it ended at the first chapter. The concept of the story is good but was poorly writen. The story went on and on and on... then ended.
A good idea gone bad.

1.0 out of 5 stars Now I remember . . ., April 6 2004
This review is from: The Lovely Bones (Hardcover)
I finally broke down and read this book because of all the buzz it generated - after all, "Cold Mountain" generated a lot of buzz, and it was an excellent book. Unfortunately, this book reminded me of why I shy away from books on the best seller lists: They're usually pap. I think I'll go back to avoiding the best seller lists.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, Aug. 8 2003
This review is from: The Lovely Bones (Hardcover)
I'm clearly a minority here, but this book was a waste of time and money. After a good first chapter, the story becomes more and more boring. I ended up skipping bits and pieces in the end... The writing style is mediocre, the psychology of the characters and their interaction very predictable. Some of the events described, and some of the dialogs, were downright ridiculous.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, June 1 2004
This review is from: The Lovely Bones (Hardcover)
I chose this book because I had never read another like it. I was intrigued by the idea of a dead girl "spying" on her family and how that family dealt with her loss. The story was ok in the begining. By page 100, it lost me. The 14 yr old girl does not speak like a teenager. Her sister Lindsey is incredibly strong emtionally for someone who lost her sister. The mother doesn't ever break down. She cheats on her husband and leaves the family. I find all of this and many other points hard to believe. The biggest problem I have with the book is the police. How dumb are they? Everyone in the town knows about a sink hole where people dump their garbage, yet the police never searched it? Lindsey is 13 yrs old. Her sister has been killed. She and her father suspect the neighbor so she breaks into his home. Wouldn't she be terrified? I sure would have at that age. Why would a mother cheat on her husband and leave her young son? Why didn't she just suggest that they all move to another town? I liked the idea that Susan was watching her friends to see how they'd get on without her, but I didn't believe it. She didn't seem to know Ray very well. They had a crush on each other and shared one kiss, yet she seemed to obsess over him and Ruth when Carissa was actually her friend. It doesn't make sense. I didn't feel like I knew Susan or cared about her or the rest of the people. The only people I felt like I knew was the father. I have to admit that I stopped reading the book around the 100 page mark and only skimmed the pages until the end. Did I get this right? Lindsey somehow got into Ruth's body and had sex with Ray? Give me a freaking break. She finally gets the chance to be on earth and speak to people again and the first thing she does is have sex with a boy she barely knew. That is disgusting. Why didn't she speak to her family and let them know that the neigbor did it and that she was ok? And no one finds the evidence and the guy isn't caught by the end of the book. That stinks! Sorry, but this book was truly awful and not satisfying at all. I am so glad I only took it out from the library. If I had bought the book, I'd send a letter to the author and demand my money back. I will not be reading anymore of her amaturish, immature books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, June 5 2014
This review is from: The Lovely Bones (Hardcover)
I totally enjoyed this book. It's an old story but told from the victim's point of view. Interesting and unnerving at times, but genuine. Enjoyed it very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Profile of a Murderer, May 28 2014
This review is from: The Lovely Bones (Paperback)
A deeply moving story about a young woman's terrible murder. Her family and boyfriend's lives are forever changed by their loss and by their unique responses to the tragedy.

Insightful, Lovely Bones also details the profile of a murderer very well.

Eleanor Cowan, author of:A History of a Pedophile's Wife: Memoir of a Canadian Teacher and Writer

The Lovely Bones
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (Audio CD - Aug. 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 21.61