Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

TOP 100 REVIEWERon January 29, 2012
Story Description:

Corban Addison leads readers on a chilling, eye-opening journey into Mumbai's seedy underworld--and the nightmare of two orphaned girls swept into the international sex trade.

When a tsunami rages through their coastal town in India, 17-year-old Ahalya Ghai and her 15-year-old sister Sita are left orphaned and homeless. With almost everyone they know suddenly erased from the face of the earth, the girls set out for the convent where they attend school. They are abducted almost immediately and sold to a Mumbai brothel owner, beginning a hellish descent into the bowels of the sex trade.

Halfway across the world, Washington, D.C., attorney Thomas Clarke faces his own personal and professional crisis-and makes the fateful decision to pursue a pro bono sabbatical working in India for an NGO that prosecutes the subcontinent's human traffickers. There, his conscience awakens as he sees firsthand the horrors of the trade in human flesh, and the corrupt judicial system that fosters it. Learning of the fate of Ahalya and Sita, Clarke makes it his personal mission to rescue them, setting the stage for a riveting showdown with an international network of ruthless criminals.

My Review:

This was a difficult book to read for me because it dealt with the horrible but very real world of exploitation in its worst form; the rape of young girls and women. This despicable act isn't just relegated to the farest reaches of our planet but happens every single day in our own backyards.

A Walk Across the Sun is the story of two sisters who lose their family to a tsunami and then are kidnapped in broad daylight and sold into the sex slave industry. The eldest of the two sisters, Ahalya who is seventeen, suffers unspeakable acts to her physical, emotional, and spiritual self. Her younger sister, Sita, age fifteen doesn't fare much better when she is sold many times in the course of two and a half months to perform physical labour that is gruelling to say the least.

Thomas Clarke, one of the main characters, is powerless in his search for Sita. Having been a lawyer with a large firm in the United States, he goes to Bombay, India for a year at CASE which is dedicated to the prosecution of these scumbags that buy these girls.

Corban Addison has written a novel that has something for everyone. It is part thriller, part suspense, part mystery and filled with a poetic beauty fit for the most discerning. It is a novel of sex, rape, love, hate, hope, wisdom, forgiveness, and redemption.

Between India, Paris, and the United States you are about to be taken on a journey with two of the most lovable girls you'll ever have the pleasure to meet in fiction and ones you'll never forget even after the last page has been turned. I can promise you that once you've begun this novel, you won't be able to put it down!

I was enraged at the blaring disregard for women and I had many tear-stained pages throughout my reading of this novel. I was thankful for Mr. Addison's notes at the end of the novel on how to help stop human trafficking and is a must read! This novel has moved me into action and I highly recommend everyone read it. This would be a great book selection for book clubs. It needs to be discussed and kept on the front burner and in the forefront of everyone's mind. We all need to pitch in and help.
on July 2, 2012
An awesome read for sure. Taking us across the globe educating us on the different walks of life and the dangers that lurk out there where our young girls/daughters/friends/sisters are concerned.
Couldn't put the book down and have since shared this book with so many friends and family.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon March 24, 2012
The sexual exploitation of children is one of the many tragedies of globalization. 'A Walk Across the Sun,' explores the movement of children from developing world countries like India to United States where they can become slaves to the perverse desires of the despicable pedophile. Sita and Ahalya have barely survived the deadly tsunami on December 26, of 2004 that's hit their village on the western coast of India. Numbed by the death of their mother and father and grandmother, they leave their destroyed house of a nun from the school they attend. Displaced and wretched, they become easy fodder for kidnappers looking to sell them as slaves. At the same time, Thomas Clarke is an attorney living in Washington D.C. who has recently lost a child to crib death. Stopping at a park for a walk and contemplation, he witnesses the kidnapping of a little girl from her mother. Coinciding with the recent death of his daughter, he experiences an emotional bond with the mother of the abducted little girl. When he is blamed for a botched law suit at his firm, Thomas uses the firm's offer of a leave to join a non-profit group in India dedicated to stopping the use of underage prostitutes in the Mumbai. This gives him the opportunity to do something he believes in and provides an opportunity to mend his marriage to an India woman who has returned to her home of the same city. The book follows the terrible travails of Sita and Ahalya and the desperate attempts of Thomas Clarke to save them and his marriage at the same time. It's a riveting read that provides insight into a human tragedy.
on August 28, 2012
This book was a first for me by this author.
The story deals with the money business of children slavery for all things as diverse as work and sex. This story shares a universal problem, that is extremely hard to stop, and the author does a good job of telling how futile the authorities job is and as well how rewarding it is when there are rescues.
Throughout; the central characters have their own stories, which makes up the balance of the novel.
I liked that the author did not over sensationalize this issue with graphic details, as knowing it is a reality is already horrific enough.
on January 1, 2015
Did not like this book. I found the tsunami unrealistic. Even in a third world country, there would have been rescue efforts after a tsunami but there were surprisingly few people who were even interested in the survivors. The girls walked to a town and people were just going about their normal lives and didn't seem to care that there was a horrific event that occurred within walking distance.

There were too many cliches. There was too much telling, not enough showing. There were many passages that would have been more satisfying written in dialogue rather than long passages of description. Very little character development.

I had no sympathy for the lawyer character. I don't identify with beautiful, rich people. I would have found him more palatable if he had a beer gut or club foot or a stutter.

Don't waste your time reading this. It reads like someone who's done a lot of research about India but is not Indian. And he spoon feeds us all his research by explaining religion and translating words in a condescending way that tells me the author thinks his readers are all idiots.
on April 1, 2014
I read this book for a meeting of the book club I beloing to.

When I first started to read this book, I was filled with trepidation. I had read a book a month ago about the tsnami that occcured on December 26, 2004. This book started with that same tsunami. That book was a very depressing book and I did not enjoy it. That book dealt with a mother that had lost her entire family and how she dealt with it. This book went in another direction.

The tsunami was just a starting point. It was not the focus of the story. The tsunami whipes out a family in India, except for two sisters. They are kidnapped and taken into the world of human trafficing. They are kept together for awhile then are seperated. Their love for each other keeps them alive. A lawyer, at the lowest point in his life, comes to India to work for a non profit group that helps exploited children. Their paths were going to cross.

I really enjoyed the book. I felt the characters were really well developed. The love the two sisters had came through very clearly. The lawyer's character is well developed even though it changes through the book. That is okay as this book can will be an awakening for some people when it come to the subject of child trafficing.

It is a leap of faith to believe that two sisters do survive their ordeal, when so many don't. You do end up cheering for them.

I liked the book and would recommend it. Althought it 500 pages long, it not a hard read.
on April 1, 2015
O have submitted this book to our church's Justice Committee as a valuable "read" on the scourge of human trafficking. While other media projects may be more frighteningly graphic, Corban's book, while perhaps pushing the credibility envelope in its scope, does indeed cover much of the waterfront. The virtually pristine hardcover version I received is much easier to share than the one I have on Kobo. And, share we must if our collective efforts are to see the abolition of slavery in our time. Please pray for the victims and join the fight! Crazy John
on March 1, 2014
This book has many good reviews and I wanted to like it, but it is pure drivel. The writing is just plain bad. Where was the editor? Throughout the second half off the book, I found myself rolling my eyes often. From the nonsensical quotes that start each chapter to the cheesy characterizations to the use of the word "crestfallen" more times than I care to count, this book insulted my intelligence and what is probably a worthy topic. Thumbs down.
on March 21, 2013
I enjoy books written about other cultures as well as books of fiction that are based on facts. This book covers both. I found it both educational, informative and a really good read. I had immediate empathy with the main characters and felt like I was following their horrific journey. Even though the book is disturbing at times, it is so well written that one feels we are part of the story. Suspenseful well written book.
on January 22, 2013
I loved this book. It grabbed my attention from the very first page and when I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about the characters. The sisters became part of my life and I still think about them. Corban Addison has a way with bringing the reader in from the beginning. His descriptions made me feel like I was there. I cannot wait to read his second novel.