4.0 out of 5 stars A great read.A few good twists.
Although I figured out why the murder was committed and by whom, I didn't work out how until the end of the book. As usual Morse was knocking back the beer, flirting in his subtle way and actually got a "little"!!! bit friendly with a suspect. A good read.
Published on Oct. 27 1999 by Emma-Mary D Hawk

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't do it for me.
Published 18 months ago by AJ

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read.A few good twists., Oct. 27 1999
Emma-Mary D Hawk (Orlando USA. Recently of Oxford, GB.) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Morse at his best., Nov. 10 2001
By A Customer
If you like to be kept guessing this is the novel for you. It is also fun to read about the interaction between Morse and Lewis. These two deserve each other.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic which keeps you guessing., Feb. 8 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Jewel That Was Ours (Hardcover)
The only thing really wrong with Morse is that he smokes too much. If you want a really good read in your mysteries, here it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Jewel of A Mystery !, July 9 1998
By A Customer
Inspector Morse occupies the bar of the Randolph Hotel while he investigates the titillating Shelia Williams and the odd disappearance of a priceless jewel. The jewels owner's heart attack leads to complications, complicity, murder, and an enormously entertaining run through a list of American tourist suspects. A superb plot, well written, well executed. An excellent read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't do it for me., April 5 2013
I was looking for a classic detective story and, given the success of the TV series based on the Morse character, I thought this would be a safe bet. I was unfortunately rather disappointed. I felt that the writing was somewhat laboured, and it seemed as though the writer was himself somewhat smug, and Morse's arrogant tendencies were not at all endearing. I had pretty much no empathy for any of the characters, none of whom seemed to have any particularly interesting or redeeming qualities. I will not be reading any more of Colin Dexter's work.

The Jewel That Was Ours
The Jewel That Was Ours by Colin Dexter (Audio CD - Nov. 8 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 27.29