5.0 out of 5 stars A variety of savories, July 31 2012
P. Salus (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Every Grain of Rice (Hardcover)
I have been cooking Chinese food for nearly 50 years. At first, I relied on Buwei Yang Chao (1962), then on Kenneth Lo, on Pei Mei, and most recently, Fuchsia Dunlop. There are receipes in each of her books that don't duplicate any other. Last night, I tried red-cooked pork with potatoes (not the most ubiquitous of Chinese ingredients). Superb!

Fuchsia's lists of ingredients are complete and accurate. Her suggestions reflect actual kitchen usage. You need not worry that everything will be redolent of soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.

Oh ... the photographs are quite superb. They make the dishes appear nearly as tasty as they actually are.

A wonderful book by a wonderful chef!

4.0 out of 5 stars Top cookbook of the year for me, Jan. 7 2014
This review is from: Every Grain Of Rice (Hardcover)
I picked this up as it appeared in the Globe & Mail top 10 cookbooks for the year. It went with my daughter to university. Good pictures, simple explanations, and uses basic ingredients in Asian cooking. I was only able to glance through and read the intro. I may pick up another copy. My daughter says that the only negative is that the recipes don't indicate serving sizes.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY IT, Oct. 25 2013
This review is from: Every Grain Of Rice (Hardcover)
If you like cooking and you like chinese food, stop reading this review right now and buy this book. You can thank me later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Book, July 30 2013
This review is from: Every Grain Of Rice (Hardcover)
I have been building my collection of Chinese cookbooks over the last few years and have often been disappointed with cookbooks claiming to have recipes for Chinese dishes, but what they *really* mean is "Asian Inspired" (think whole chicken breasts with some sort of Asian-like sauce on them). I also have many that have great, authentic recipes that I don't use too often because they rely too heavily on frying or making massive quantities of food.

That's where Fushia's book really shines. The recipes are authentic and delicious with a focus on vegetables and reasonable portions. Every dish that we have tried from it has been extremely flavorful (thanks to her keen interest in Szchuan food) and easy to throw together. I absolutely love the menu section that pairs up dishes so that you don't accidentally choose four dishes that need to be stir-fried in a row.

The tofu section is amazing, I've made most of the dishes from it. So far my favorites are the hot & sour tofu and the tofu with avocado. We eat a mix of veggies, tofu, and meat for most meals and this book works perfectly for us. It doesn't hurt that she has mad talent when it comes to creating balanced and interesting flavors almost effortlessly. One of my favorite books so far!

Other book Recommendations:
Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge: The Ultimate Guide to Mastery, with Authentic Recipes and Stories by Grace Young <-- So far, every dish has been a winner for us

The Chinese Takeout Cookbook: Quick and Easy Dishes to Prepare at Home by Diana Kuan <-- best of the Quick/Americanized books. Lots of simple and delicious dishes

5.0 out of 5 stars Dan Dan Noodles, June 8 2013
This review is from: Every Grain Of Rice (Hardcover)
As we came back from a 6 months biking in asia, we were craving to cook chinese food back home and really looking forward to get recipe for the food we learn to appreciate during the trip!! This book truly is amazing!! Both the recipe and the story explaining how the food is cook and share traditionnally made us want to try every recipe!!

Every Grain of Rice
Every Grain of Rice by Fuchsia Dunlop (Hardcover - Feb. 1 2012)
Used & New from: CDN$ 31.66