5.0 out of 5 stars Last but not least
Published on Dec 31 2012 by A. Houston

3.0 out of 5 stars personal review
I choose this rating because I enjoyed reading this book but it wasn't a couldn't put it down book for me. I would suggest it to a friend .
Published 19 months ago by Pat Waatainen

5.0 out of 5 stars Last but not least, Dec 31 2012
A. Houston (BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Week in Winter (Hardcover)
As soon as this book was released, I was itching to buy it, but restrained myself as I knew Christmas was coming. Once again, my daughters did not disappoint and I awoke to find this final Maeve Binchy book under the tree for me. I enjoyed it thoroughly, and was only disappointed because it ended. I did feel that there were perhaps a few minor unfinished issues, but perhaps that is a metaphor for life. Not everyone ends up happy with all their problems solved; there are always unfinished issues. I really enjoyed the times spent at the big house on the coast, and reading about this wild part of Ireland made me want to go there all the more. I thought the characters were well rounded, and I had a clear photo in my mind of each of them as I read about them in their designated chapters. I enjoy books formatted like this, and when I read about a previous chapter's character from a different viewpoint, I think,"oh yes I know her/him, I've met them before."
Now that I have read all of Maeve's books, and the fact that there won't be any more, I may just have to go back and start all over again, perhaps with Firefly Summer which was the one that started my love affair with her writing. Rest in peace, sweet Maeve, and thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars A HEARTWARMING AND ENJOYABLE STORY!, Feb. 21 2015
Janet B (Montreal, Quebec, CANADA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Week in Winter (Paperback)
A Week in Winter takes place in Stoneybridge on the west coast of Ireland. It is the last book written by one of the world's best-loved writers, Maeve Binchy. She passed away in 2012. I have read all of her novels beginning with Light a Penny Candle and each novel was a gem.

Chicky lived in the village of Stoneybridge with her parents. There she met an American man named Walter Starr and fell in love. She left her home in Ireland and went to New York and married Walter. Sadly, her marriage was over and she found herself alone and jobless. She returned to Stoneybridge with a heavy heart, She was ashamed to tell her family about the mess she was in. She found work at Mrs. Cassidy's boarding house, where she once worked and tells Mrs. Cassidy the shame she feels and asks her what she could do about it. Mrs. Cassidy convinces her to make up a story and that is exactly what Chicky does. Chicky loves being back home and one day, while out for a walk, she bumps into Miss Queenie Sheedy. The three Sheedy sisters lived in a mansion called Stone House, but two of the sisters died and Miss Queenie was now the sole owner. Frail and lonely without her two sisters, she tells Chicky that she always hoped that Chicky would return home and take over the mansion and turn it into a hotel. The mansion was in disrepair and Miss Queenie could no longer afford the upkeep and at this stage in her life, she didn't need a lot of money. She would sell the mansion to Chicky for whatever she could afford to pay on condition that she turn it into a hotel and that Miss Queenie could live there for the rest of her life. An arrangement was made and Chicky immediately gets to work.

Chicky began hiring a few people like Rigger, the son of a woman who used to work for Miss Queenie. Rigger was once a bad boy, but he had changed his ways, married a fine woman named Carmel and turned out to be a good man and an asset to Chicky. Her niece, Orla, was a computer whiz and she installed all the systems needed to make a hotel run well. Chicky could also cook up a storm. Miss Queenie gave all her furniture and antiques to add her touch to the decor and even Miss Queenie's cat,Gloria, added a special something to the decor. After the work was completed, Stone House was now an upscale inn, where guests could come and relax, sleep in elegant rooms, eat wonderful food, enjoy the view, the log fires, long walks and enjoy the local pubs in the village. Stone House is situated on a cliff overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and now open for business. Chicky advertised the opening in the newspapers and online and soon after, she received bookings.

Among the guests were the following -
The first guest was Winnie, a nurse, who was supposed to come with her boyfriend, Teddy, but ends up with Teddy's mother, Lillian Hennessy.
John (aka Corry Salinas), a famous American actor, who is incognito. He missed his flight.
Henry and his wife, Nicola, two doctors from England. They have a problem to work out.
Miss Nell Howe, a retired teacher, who received this trip as a retirement gift from the staff of her school.
Anders has a big problem to deal with. He dislikes working in his father's business and would much prefer to do his own thing. He has a talent for music.
The Walls, Ann and Charlie, won this trip to Stone House as a second prize and were disappointed. They would have preferred the first prize. The first prize was a trip to Paris.
Freda O'Donovan, a librarian, fears her psychic powers.

All the guests that arrive at the hotel/inn tell their stories in chapters in the book. All these stories are woven together, when the guests gather at the dinner table.
The first week at Stone House was a huge success. Friendships were made and problems were solved and now the new guests were arriving.

I would have loved spending a week at Stone house sitting near the fireplace relaxing, eating wonderful food, meeting the dynamic Chicky and Miss Queeny, meeting the guests and just getting away from all the hustle and bustle of a big city.

I loved every minute of this book and didn't want it to end, because there would never be another Maeve Binchy book in the future. I will never forget the pleasure I received from every one of Maeve Binchy's novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic & no less than expected from a writer as distinguished as the late Maeve Binchy, March 18 2013
This review is from: A Week in Winter (Hardcover)
I simply loved this book as all of Maeve Binchy's work, because it is, as always a breath of fresh air. It is profound yet lighthearted. She can so wisely take life's simple events & turn them into something special & inspiring. Without being moralistic at all, Maeve can bring us to our own personal reflections on life & all of it's ups & downs, joys & griefs, truths &" lesser truths". Simply said, I truly enjoy & have enjoyed reading & being inspired & entertained by her, for the past twenty some years now. It is even because of her & her great gift of creating life's wonderful stories, that I can testify that I have discovered the " joy of reading". Thanks Maeve. I most sincerely recommend this book, as all of Mave's books to anyone & everyone who wants to have their soul's tickled with tears of pondering smiles & healing laughter.
From one of Maeve's so many, very grateful fans, June from Qc. Canada.

5.0 out of 5 stars vintage binchy, Dec 1 2012
This review is from: A Week in Winter (Hardcover)
I am soooo going to miss Maeve Binchy's books. No one tells a story like she does. She captivates and brings you through a journey like no other. Characters and storylines all intertwined to complete a beautiful picture puzzle. Rest in peace, Mrs. Binchy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, Aug. 18 2013
This review is from: A Week in Winter (Hardcover)
So lovely to read Maeve's delightful book. So sad its her last but she did a remarkable job. Its delightful. All revolves around the coast of Ireland and Stone House, full of descriptive references to the waves, the beach and the local wildlife. Ahh, you think you are there. The characters are diverse and memorable and she brilliantly brings them all together at the end.
If you feel the need for an easy, gentle read. Get this one. You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mistakes, Second Chances, Hope, and Redemption Abound, March 18 2013
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Week in Winter (Hardcover)
"Love suffers long and is kind;" -- 1 Corinthians 13:4 (NKJV)

A Week in Winter is one of those books that will stay with you for a long time, and with good reason: It's a superb book. More than that, it's a book filled with encouraging perspectives on how to recover from mistakes and move onto doing the right thing. Maeve Binchy loves her characters, even the ones who ignore the chances she provides to be redeemed. If you feel that the whole world is against you, pull out this book and read or reread it. Your spirits will be raised.

It's difficult to give a full sense of this book without spoiling it a bit. I'll do my best to avoid such an error here.

A new hotel on the Western coast of Ireland is open for its first week, having just finished being converted from being a private home. The owner and the staff are described in terms of their past lives and hopes for this hotel. In the book, you'll meet all of the guests, learn their back stories, and find out what happens to them during what for most will be a momentous week of self-discovery. The interactions among the characters are just delightful, showing the kind of caring attention that we should all provide to one another.

The back stories are quite varied, providing lots of room for reflection and surprises. And naturally, the hotel itself and its environs provide the context for a number of interesting events and epiphanies.

Anyone who has loved Maeve Binchy's past books will only have one complaint about A Week in Winter: It's not long enough!

Brava, Ms. Binchy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant but bittersweet end, Aug. 18 2013
This review is from: A Week In Winter (Paperback)
Like so many other reviewers, I loved this book just as I had all previous Maeve Binchy books but it was sad knowing it was the last one. What a treat it was to read of characters from her other novels within this one. She weaves them together seamlessly and creates a pleasant memory of them all living in the Irish countryside. It ended true to form in Binchy's classic style and I shed a tear over the loss of such a wonderful writer as I closed the book. I think it is one I would go back to an re-read just to relive the warm feelings much like you get while reading and enjoying a hot cup of tea wrapped in a hand-knit blanket. If you are a Binchy fan, "A Week in Winter" will not disappoint. Thank you, Maeve <3

5.0 out of 5 stars Her books were like being with old friends..., March 19 2013
Sandi Norman (Dartmouth, Nova Scotia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Week in Winter (Hardcover)
I have read all of Maeve Bincheys books. I love the way she weaves some of her characters from previous books into the fabric of each new story. You automatically recognize these fine characters like you would an old friend that you haven't seen for a bit. I would suggest to a first time reader, if you like this book go back to the very first one and start there, at the beginning of the tapestry. Her books are cozy and warm, each character totally believable, both the lovable and unlovable. There are those you root for and those you scorn. I love them all. There were characters in this book that I'm sure would have been in her next book especially the bitter Miss Howe, school principal. We'll never know...

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it., Jan. 24 2013
Evange (New Brunswick, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Week in Winter (Kindle Edition)
Maeve Binchy never disappoints. This book makes me want to visit Scotland very soon. I recommend this book to everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Binchy Gem, Jan. 27 2013
Alison S. Coad (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: A Week in Winter (Hardcover)
In "A Week in Winter," by Maeve Binchy, we meet Chicky, a young woman in early 1990s western Ireland who falls for a visiting man and follows him back to New York. Deceptions and years later, she returns home to open a hotel in the once-grand house of the region, and she brings in the troubled son of one of her oldest friends and a niece who has ventured to London but needs to get more experience in a less bruising place. Together, they ready the small hotel and welcome their visitors for the first week of its operation: Winnie and her apparent "friend" who is anything but; John who is really somebody else altogether; Henry and Nicola, doctors who are running from too much death; Anders, the Swede who loves music over accountancy, his family trade; The Walls who are fixated on prizes and think this trip is an inferior one; Miss Howe, a school principal finally put out to pasture; and Freda, who has the Second Sight. Together, they inaugurate the hotel, with its searing cliffs and wild ocean.... Another series, really, of novella-length sketches of various people, brought together to a particular place but otherwise unconnected. I really enjoy Binchy's ability to get to the heart of her characters, to describe their lives in such a way that we, the readers, are completely enthralled. This has less of a connection to other books of hers than some that I've read, in terms of characters coming in and out of the story, but that doesn't matter: these "new" characters are as fully human as the ones more entrenched in her Irish world. I wasn't totally captivated this time, but I enjoyed every second of the time I spent with these people (even Miss Howe!). I wouldn't start a reader new to Maeve Binchy with this book, but I'd recommend it after reading three or four of her lengthy oevre; clearly recommended!

A Week in Winter
A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy (Hardcover - Nov. 20 2012)
CDN$ 28.99