5.0 out of 5 stars Last but not least
Published 23 months ago by A. Houston

3.0 out of 5 stars personal review
I choose this rating because I enjoyed reading this book but it wasn't a couldn't put it down book for me. I would suggest it to a friend .
Published 16 months ago by Pat Waatainen

5.0 out of 5 stars Last but not least, Dec 31 2012
A. Houston (BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Week in Winter (Hardcover)
As soon as this book was released, I was itching to buy it, but restrained myself as I knew Christmas was coming. Once again, my daughters did not disappoint and I awoke to find this final Maeve Binchy book under the tree for me. I enjoyed it thoroughly, and was only disappointed because it ended. I did feel that there were perhaps a few minor unfinished issues, but perhaps that is a metaphor for life. Not everyone ends up happy with all their problems solved; there are always unfinished issues. I really enjoyed the times spent at the big house on the coast, and reading about this wild part of Ireland made me want to go there all the more. I thought the characters were well rounded, and I had a clear photo in my mind of each of them as I read about them in their designated chapters. I enjoy books formatted like this, and when I read about a previous chapter's character from a different viewpoint, I think,"oh yes I know her/him, I've met them before."
Now that I have read all of Maeve's books, and the fact that there won't be any more, I may just have to go back and start all over again, perhaps with Firefly Summer which was the one that started my love affair with her writing. Rest in peace, sweet Maeve, and thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars vintage binchy, Dec 1 2012
This review is from: A Week in Winter (Hardcover)
I am soooo going to miss Maeve Binchy's books. No one tells a story like she does. She captivates and brings you through a journey like no other. Characters and storylines all intertwined to complete a beautiful picture puzzle. Rest in peace, Mrs. Binchy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it., Jan. 24 2013
Evange (New Brunswick, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Week in Winter (Kindle Edition)
Maeve Binchy never disappoints. This book makes me want to visit Scotland very soon. I recommend this book to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maeve Binchy never disappoints, Nov. 30 2014
This review is from: A Week in Winter (Kindle Edition)
Maybe Binchy really understands how to bring her characters to life. The stories are very home-spun, full of warmth and even when things go wrong for people there is always a promise of a hopeful ending...well except perhaps for poor Miss Howe.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Binchy Gem, Jan. 27 2013
Alison S. Coad (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: A Week in Winter (Hardcover)
In "A Week in Winter," by Maeve Binchy, we meet Chicky, a young woman in early 1990s western Ireland who falls for a visiting man and follows him back to New York. Deceptions and years later, she returns home to open a hotel in the once-grand house of the region, and she brings in the troubled son of one of her oldest friends and a niece who has ventured to London but needs to get more experience in a less bruising place. Together, they ready the small hotel and welcome their visitors for the first week of its operation: Winnie and her apparent "friend" who is anything but; John who is really somebody else altogether; Henry and Nicola, doctors who are running from too much death; Anders, the Swede who loves music over accountancy, his family trade; The Walls who are fixated on prizes and think this trip is an inferior one; Miss Howe, a school principal finally put out to pasture; and Freda, who has the Second Sight. Together, they inaugurate the hotel, with its searing cliffs and wild ocean.... Another series, really, of novella-length sketches of various people, brought together to a particular place but otherwise unconnected. I really enjoy Binchy's ability to get to the heart of her characters, to describe their lives in such a way that we, the readers, are completely enthralled. This has less of a connection to other books of hers than some that I've read, in terms of characters coming in and out of the story, but that doesn't matter: these "new" characters are as fully human as the ones more entrenched in her Irish world. I wasn't totally captivated this time, but I enjoyed every second of the time I spent with these people (even Miss Howe!). I wouldn't start a reader new to Maeve Binchy with this book, but I'd recommend it after reading three or four of her lengthy oevre; clearly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars gentle read, May 19 2014
This review is from: A Week in Winter (Kindle Edition)
A story about real people told Maeve Binchey style. I enjoy the way she intertwined the lives of her characters . It could have been longer and a it more story development . Still an excellent book for Binchey fans.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to par, May 11 2014
This review is from: A Week in Winter (Kindle Edition)
It was not her best work. I will miss reading Ms. Binchy's work, but I found this one lacking. Too bad.

4.0 out of 5 stars All that I expected, May 8 2014
This review is from: A Week in Winter (Kindle Edition)
This was a story that could be true. I liked that Maeve Binchy uses characters from her other books in this one too. Great story telling.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it ., May 2 2014
This review is from: A Week in Winter (Paperback)
Maeve Binchy's books are always a good read. Never have I read an
author who can write with such spirit. Her stories are based on everyday
life experiences but somehow she infuses them with excitement and
interest. One looks forward to every line.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Week in Winter, May 1 2014
This review is from: A Week in Winter (Paperback)
I am so sad that this is her last book. With every book I read, I seem to
go into another world and enjoy life. RIP

A Week in Winter
A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy (Hardcover - Nov. 20 2012)
CDN$ 28.99 CDN$ 23.19