4.0 out of 5 stars Trusting God for love
Published on Feb. 10 2003 by Dawn Kessinger

1.0 out of 5 stars Yawn
I bought this Lori Wick book because I have all her other fiction on my "keeper" shelf. Every work of fiction she has ever written, I own. I simply want to keep my collection in tact.
Published on July 23 2002 by soontobewriter

4.0 out of 5 stars Trusting God for love, Feb. 10 2003
Dawn Kessinger (Lima, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rescue (Paperback)
I don't know about it being Wick's best (I can't decide which of her series I love the most), but The Rescue is as good as any of her other series. Anne is a sweet young woman who has lost her mother and is living with and trying to take care of a father who has been ill and who has some mental challenges; she has lost almost all of her possessions and the house she is living in is sadly in need of repairs. Anne is attempting to attend to some of those house repairs when Robert Weston, whom she has never met as he is just getting ready to move into the area, startles her and she ends up receiving her first rescue from Weston as he rescues her from a nasty fall. Unfortunately, Anne's father mistakes the closeness between her and Weston and his mind won't accept any excuses for them not to be married...immediately! I won't ruin any more of the surprises; I will say, however, that this book does a good job of illustrating how people's gossip (and how they sometimes believe the worst without evidence) can really hurt an innocent person - and that Christians are not exempt from the pain they can cause by gossiping. Also - God will provide, including someone to love.

1.0 out of 5 stars Yawn, July 23 2002
This review is from: The Rescue (Paperback)
The plot in this story was basically nonexistent, the characters boring and not particulary likeable. I didn't mind that the book spent so much time with the characters from "The Proposal" - as unfulfilling as that story was, those characters were better than the ones in "The Rescue".
The plot centers around a young woman, born a lady but forced by circumstances to live the life of a lower class woman. She literally falls off a ladder into the arms of a man and her dementia suffering father demands the gentleman marry the daughter. The daughter tells the man to go along, but never once does she tell the gentleman that the "marriage" will only be to pacify her father for the moment and is not a "real" marriage. The woman is "terrified" for the gentleman's life but doesn't have the guts to blurt out the truth quickly because "he has an angry look on his face". This is a strong-willed woman who takes care of her father with little to no resources, but she's afraid of an angry look? Regardless of the era, I find that hard to swallow. Perhaps that plot weakness is why I didn't find the book very satisfying.
I understand that during the early 1800s there was much that hurt a reputation, but Anne's desire to protect Robert, despite his boorish attitude with her, is unrealistic. The only really realistic conversation in the entire book to my mind was when Anne asked her Pastor's wife if Robert, as a new groom, would expect intimacy right away. The Pastor's wife told her he would and advised Anne not to put him off. As it turns out, this was not the case with Robert, but the advice was the correct advice. So why then did the Pastor's wife regret that piece of advice??? THAT advice and counsel was realistic to the times.
Mrs. Wick does provide the teaching of the Gospel, as is done in all her books, and there is a character conversion, as is done in all her books. I do like this aspect of her work. However, I would really like to see a character change a human flaw with God's help rather than seeming to need Him only for their "love life".
I really miss Mrs. Wick's fine work in her earlier novels. As She seems more determined to keep putting books on the shelves every six months rather than write "different" books. Read the Kensington Chronicles if you haven't - they are so much better than this series.
Perhaps the next series, not to mention book, will better garner my attention.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so sure of this book, Feb. 10 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Rescue (Paperback)
Well, I really cannot say that I have finished reading the book. I will have to do so. But, I do have to say that I was a bit dissapointed. Personally, I believe that Wick's best work is in a historical western setting. This book seems nice, but I can't help but be cynical about the environment. The gossipers are believeable, but not the christian people. How could there be so many? If so, their views of christianity are different that what ours are. Since when does the aristocracy care about God on a personal level? Those who were religious where strict in their discipline. Plus, a pastor? They had vicars back then. I find it a bit historically inacurate. I suppose I should not criticize, I mean after all, it is fiction. What can I expect right? I do have to say that I like Wick, but not so much in this series. I'll have to read more to form an exact opinion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so sure of this book, Feb. 10 2004
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Another keeper by Lori Wick!, Aug. 7 2002
This review is from: The Rescue (Paperback)
I greatly looked forward to this next book in the English Garden series. I loved the way Lori made all of character's names from Jane Austin's novels (Marianna, Jennings, Palmer, etc). Very creative! The story is of that time period and written very similar to Austin's style. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's not like the rest of Wick's writing, but that's fine. I love it when author's get out of their niche to expand their writting skills. Lori does that in explorary style while teaching us all a valuable lesson in trusting in God. I highly recommend this book & series to any Christian fiction fans, as well as Jane Austin fans, since you will appreciate Lori's obvious love for Austin's books. I'm already looking forward 'til the next one! :-D

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book Ever!!, Aug. 9 2003
Eileen A Merry (Moran, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rescue (Paperback)
In the two weeks I've owned this book I have read it four times. I have never read
a book that I have enjoyed more. I found once I started I couldn't put it down until
I read the last page and it's the same way each time I read it. I love all the books in
the English Garden Series but this one is by far my favorite.
You quickly fall in love with both Weston and Anne, and delight in each new development
in their relationship with each other and with God. If you're new to Lori Wick's books,
this is a wonderful one to start with.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book Ever!!, Aug. 9 2003
Eileen A Merry (Moran, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rescue (Paperback)
the English Garden Series but this one is by far my favorite.
this is a wonderful one to start with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, April 14 2004
This review is from: The Rescue (Paperback)
This is one of those books that as soon as you pick it up you won't put it down until you've turned the last page.
You don't have to wait long until you fall completely in love with both Anne and Weston.
Like a true English gentleman, Weston offers to marry Anne after he finds out that because of his rash actions Anne's reputation has suffered. I eagerly anticipated each new development in their marriage.
I loved all of the English Garden Series, but this one is by far my favorite!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, yet not too weighty, July 19 2002
E. Grant (Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rescue (Paperback)
The Rescue is a wonderful story of Christian love and devotion. Anne was an excellent example of a Christian woman, devoted to her father and her friends. The book moves quickly and rarely gets bogged down by attempts at emulating 19th century English. The struggles of the main characters are well portrayed and though one knows what's going to happen in the end (at least vaguely) Wick manages to keep us interested and reading. I read The Rescue in one day, and I'm sure you'll do the same!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Enjoyable Read!!, July 30 2003
Ruth H. Burton "hlhsmom" (Louisiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rescue (Paperback)
The Rescue is probably my favorite of all of Lori Wick's books. It does not have the depth that some of her other books have, but it is a most enjoyable read. It is fast paced, and I was unable to put it down until I finished it. This is book #2 in The English Garden Series, but you could read it on it's own without missing too much. The entire series is wonderful, however, so you may as well read them all.

The Rescue
The Rescue by Lori Wick (Paperback - Sept. 2003)
Used & New from: CDN$ 22.94