5.0 out of 5 stars Portrait in Death by J. D. Robb
I am so glad I have read most of these books (in Death series). Nora Roberts aka J. D. Robb is one of my favorite writers. This book (Portrait in Death) is riveting, holding your interest from the start. Any reader who loves Eve Dallas will thoroughly enjoy any of her books. A must read.
Published on Dec 21 2011 by Linda J. Leclair

3.0 out of 5 stars not quite a masterpiece
It's a good premise, and to have Roarke be the focus was a good twist. And yet there's no fast-paced action, no 'you deserve to get lcked away'. Overall, a very somber book, and whileI think it's a better read than Seduction in Death, I really don't like reading the killer's thoughts. It's always more interesting seeing the killer from Eve's point of view.
Published on Sept. 6 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Portrait in Death by J. D. Robb, Dec 21 2011
Linda J. Leclair "Good Book Reader" (Sault Ste. Marie, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Portrait in Death (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of her best!, June 10 2011
A. P. Quinty (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
I'm halfway through the series, and this is one of my favorite Eve Dallas so far. Apart from the very good murder investigation plot, I loved the closer look into Roarke's past, his psyche and emotions, Eve's dilemnas and discoveries about her relationship with Roarke. Surprising revelations and intense moments made this book one of my favorite "In Death" so far! Nora Roberts is an amazing storyteller.

5.0 out of 5 stars J.D Robb's Fans will enjoy spending more time "In Death", Nov. 17 2003
M. E. Newell (Georgia, United States) - See all my reviews
"Portait in Death" is the lastest offering by J.D. Robb and this is one of her better books. Unlike of book in this series, Ms. Robb spending most of her time focusing on Eve and Roarke. It was really great to see more of Roarke's background. It gave readers a better understanding of his character and its also allow the character to develop. I'm sorry that I waited so long to read "Portait in Death" because it is great!

4.0 out of 5 stars Eve Dallas fans will enjoy this book, Sept. 10 2003
Alice (Connecticut, USA) - See all my reviews
If you're a fan of the Eve Dallas series, you'll really enjoy this book. If you haven't kept up with the series, however, you will probably notice gaps in the story. The murder mystery was fascinating as always. And a surprise from Roarke's past and the path he took because of it were both interesting and moving. Very well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Author seems to be getting better with each new Eve Dallas!, Sept. 9 2003
Jerry Bull "Gerald M. Bull" (Fairview, TN United States) - See all my reviews
If our count is correct, this is the 16th Homicide Lt. Eve Dallas murder mystery by the prolific Nora Roberts writing as J.D. Robb. While it sticks pretty close to the form of the other entries in the series -- including the futuristic setting in the year 2059; fellow cop associates Peabody, McNab, Feeney, Trueheart; and husband and billionaire Roarke -- the writing just seems to be reaching new levels, if our reader reaction (and a few tears along the way) is any indication. In addition to the serial killer Eve is hot to track down, in a side story, Roarke learns the true identity and story behind his real mother back in Ireland and the horrible fate she met at a young age. The scenes in which he re-visited Eire were moving and poignant, creating a welcome contrast to the young people being offed in Gotham City by apparently a photographer (i.e., "imager", maybe already a better title!?") who, while not brutal, is probably mad.
No need to reveal more of the fine story -- the plot is entertaining til the end even though we have the insider's view and knowledge as we admire Eve's steady but slick dissection of clues. That we can conjure up some of the same sympathy Eve does toward the killer once he's caught says something about both our leading lady and the human condition. As usual, Robb's stories are satisfying, but we feel the writing skills gain more edge and emotion as we proceed. Not bad for some 16 books into a series, many others of which have long since gone stale. We were lucky to unearth a hardback copy of "Portrait" and hope that the future novels in the set will follow suit -- enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars not quite a masterpiece, Sept. 6 2003
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dip Into the Truth, July 30 2003
J. French "Lover of Words" (Florida USA) - See all my reviews
I have to say, without a doubt, the best part about Portrait is finding out more about our favorite husband, Roarke. The insights into his past were entertaining and just on the edge of frustrating because we want to know more, more more! The case had a nice twist at the end, I was honestly surprised at the killer. In true, J. D. Robb fashion, the story unweaved itself at an easy pace and had plenty of extras to keep you interested further.

1.0 out of 5 stars unbearable, June 14 2003
J. Feng (Cupertino, CA United States) - See all my reviews
All the elements in this book is overplayed. This is the first book I've seen in the series and it will be the last. The conversations made me want to gag. It got to a point where I couldn't read beyond a few more paragraphs, and indeed I only read up to page 62. The storyline was not very interesting either.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good in development, paces nicely, June 6 2003
Su (Singapore) - See all my reviews
What attracted me most about this book, the 16th by the highly talented J.D Robb (Nora Roberts), was not the plot: a sadistic murderer kills innocent and young people in their twenties and takes photographs of them in posed shots after their deaths. In this area, Robb does a great job as usual in following Eve through the steps in her investigation. Her attention to details is still there, along with Eve's witty and amusing quips and twitchy eye. if you are a regular In Death reader, you will know, as I did, who the murderer is before Eve does. (Makes you feel all triumphant and gleeful inside.)
What attracted me was the character development and the relationship between our favourite couple, Eve and Roarke. In this book, Roarke's real history is uncovered and we learn that his real mother was not the abuser he thought her to be but a young, innocent girl murdered by Roarke's father.
Their roles are now reversed. Roarke is the vulnerable one, lashing out at Eve and feeling his world is turned upside down while Eve is the protector, the caring wife (or life-partner, as Eve would insist) becoming the rock in his life. There is a lovely scene where Roarke is in Ireland, wishing for Eve while rubbing the button from her suit that he carries around, knowing that she is the stable one in his life and that he needs her.
Their married life is still as spicy as ever and with the introduction of Roarke's new family, there is now another interesting angle to explore in upcoming books, along with the McNab/Peabody angle, Charles/Louise angle, Jamie angle and Mavis being pregnant/Leonardo angle. Do not forget Eve's past that has not been fully explored yet. Guaranteed to fill up pages effortlessly.
Here's to Imitation in Death coming soon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Portrait of a death, May 21 2003
I think that Potrait in Death by Nora Robberts, is a very good book. It has a very relateable plot to some daily life. The book never leaves any detail out of the day out. The murders are very relistic to how some people really are these days. It shows are seseptible to other people we as humans are. The fact that the time is 2059 will give some people in insite to a possibility of the future. I think that this book by Nora Robberts always left you wanting to know what was going to happen next. I beleive Potrait in Death was a very good book.

ARRAY(0xbc37cf6c)

Portrait in Death
Portrait in Death by Nora Roberts writing as J. D. Robb Robb (Hardcover - Dec 30 2009)
CDN$ 34.95 CDN$ 30.58