5.0 out of 5 stars The Healer by Dee Henderson
Published on Dec 2 2003 by alichia

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very impressive
This books venutures into the genres of romance, thriller, and mystery, set against a Christian background. It might have been good, but simply includes too many characters and plotlines. The story veres from a flood, to a romance, to sister dealing with cancer, to a school shooting. As each new even occurs, the emotional impact lessons.
Fans of the genre will enjoy...
Published on Sept. 12 2003 by Katayla

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Healer by Dee Henderson, Dec 2 2003
This review is from: The Healer (Paperback)
I believe that this was the best novel that I have ever read. I really enjoyed reading this novel and I would happily read it again. This was one of the few novels that I have read that I couldn't out down for very long. This book made me laugh and cry. It also had a very meaningful meaning in the end. It made me realize that no matter what happens, somthing good will always come out of what went wrong. I also realized that anything can happen, good or bad,. It may not seem possible, but I now know that in just seconds you can lose someone you care about. As I said before, I really enjoyed this novel and I very highly recommend this novel to anyone who loves to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very impressive, Sept. 12 2003
Katayla (Tacoma, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Healer (Paperback)
Fans of the genre will enjoy it, but it probably won't make their "favorites" list.

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotionally touching story!, May 31 2003
This review is from: The Healer (Paperback)
Dee Henderson, you've done it again! The fifth book of the O'Malley series, "The Healer" will just captivate you! And if you've read all three books and loved them as much as I do, I'm sure you feel a part of the O'Malley family now!
The O'Malley family consists of seven brothers and sister, three boys and four girls. Since they were little they had been in the same orphanage and when they got out of the orphanage, they decided to 'adopt' each other, taking the name O'Malley as their family name. They all have very important jobs, Marcus is a U.S. Marshal, Kate a negotiator for hostage situations, botched-up robberies, etc., Jennifer is a doctor, Jack a fireman, Stephen a paramedic, Rachel a trauma psychologist, and Lisa is a forensic pathologist. This story is about Rachel O'Malley, 'the healer'.
Rachel O'Malley by the faith and prayers of her family is now a Christian. But being a trauma psychologist is a tense and stressful job. Working at disasters for the Red Cross, trying to heal the lives of children torn apart by parent's divorces, Rachel finds it hard at times to trust in Jesus to help her let go of the hurt she sees.
Captain Cole Parker, captain of a fire company who has spent the last few years fighting fires and trying to stop arsons. A devout Christian from a young age, Cole sticks by Rachel and helps her through the hard times. It is inevitable that they become closer, even reaching the point of falling in love.
But in the midst of Rachel of having to deal with the fact she might lose her sister Jennifer to cancer, tragedy strikes. When Rachel's sister Lisa O'Malley discovers a murder scene discovered in a flooded community, it is suspected that there may be a second victim. Things become worse when there is gunfire at a local school. Children are injured, children are dead, and what's so terrible is that the shooters were children. But the mystery begins when one of the bullets matches the one which had killed the victim in the flood. And that gun has disappeared. What is going on, how are the two cases connected? Rachel, Cole, and the O'Malley's must race to find the missing gun, before tragedy repeats...
Of all the books, I think that "The Healer" is one of the weakest in the series in that there isn't much of a mystery. I had already guessed much of the plot and most of the guesses were correct. But I must confess, this story is the most emotionally and spiritually touching of all the O'Malley books. From the aftermath of the shooting to Jennifer's sickness, there were moments where I felt like crying. Dee Henderson is a master at letting you get caught up into the story. The characters are likable, and I especially love Cole!
These are five books in the O'Malley Series in order, all highly recommended:
#1 "The Negotiator", Kate O'Malley's story. One of the best of the series.
#2 "The Guardian", Marcus O'Malley's story, the oldest of the O'Malleys. A great love story with an incredibly suspenseful plot!
#3 "The Truth Seeker", Lisa O'Malley's story, very suspenseful!
#4 "The Protector", Jack O'Malley's story, not as good as the previous three books yet still enjoyable.
#5 "The Healer", Rachel O'Malley's story.
#6 "The REscuer", Stephen O'Malley's story. One of the BEST books I've ever read!
Other books by Dee Henderson are:
"Danger in the Shadows", written before "The Negotiator" whose main character is the sister of Kate O'Malley's boyfriend, Sara and Walsh
#1 "True Devotion", the first in the Uncommon Heroes Series tells about the Navy SEALs.
#2 "True Valor", about Navy Pilot Gracie and Air Force Pararescuer Bruce.
#3 "True Honor", the best of the series so far with Navy SEAL Sam 'Cougar' Houston and CIA officer Darcy St. James.

5.0 out of 5 stars By Far My Favorite in her Series!, May 25 2003
This review is from: The Healer (Paperback)
I've read the entire O'Malley Series and Rachel is my favorite character in the "Family." I didn't find the storyline about the school shooting any less (or more, for that matter) plausible than the storylines in the previous five books. Dee designed these family members to be magnets for trouble. The read is much smoother if it's an accepted truth in the beginning rather than trying to hash it out as you go.
I found the situation with Rachel's sister, Jennifer, was very well handled. My mother was dying from cancer when I originally read this and I bawled, but in a good way, during her moments in the book. I'm now reading it again, especially Jennifer's parts, to gain insight into how my mother may have been feeling before her death. I also appreciated the fact that Rachel was already a Christian at the onset of this story, having to deal with a new faith during such trying times rather than explain why the character didn't believe through most of the read as happened in the other books. A refreshing change in my opinion.
Finally, I absolutely loved Rachel and Cole's relationship. Their first kiss had my hair standing on end. Very well written.
In all, this was a fantastic book. One I'm reading again, and will be passing on to friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Wonderful!, April 28 2003
This review is from: The Healer (Paperback)
I have been reading Henderson for over a year now and this book is by far the most emotional. I loved the way that she has been building up to this book. The others in the series introduce you to each character at a time and allow you to familiarize yourself with them. In The Rescuer, she brings all of the O'Malley's together and you can see the strength of their family.
If you haven't read the others in the series, READ THEM FIRST!
This story made me laugh and cry. I felt as if I was in the story and wanted to get to the end of the book without having to finish it. It made me want to read my Bible more and develop better relationships with my family.
I hope that everyone can enjoy this book. I felt it was more about the relationships than the crime being solved.
Wonderful story!! Thank you Dee Henderson!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sadder by Force, April 8 2003
This review is from: The Healer (Paperback)
This book had to be the saddest of them all due to the subject nature and the story line. However, Henderson did a great job guiding her readers through their grief.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Dee's Best! Very emotionally stirring!, March 20 2003
Donald S. Meador "imthman" (Novo Hamburgo, Brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Healer (Paperback)
The Healer by Dee Henderson is the story of Rachel O'Malley. If you have read the previous book in the O'Malley series, you will already be familiar with Rachel. She is a trauma psychologist who works disasters for the Red Cross.
This book begins with flood relief, moves to a school shooting, and ends with the first O'Malley family funeral. While the story does present the reader with a couple of unlikely situations, Henderson gives the reader one of her best stories. The whole O'Malley family is back together in this book. Despite the burnout and emotional drain that several of the O'Malley's are facing, the joy of family loyalty and love comes through in parts of the book. Despite the fact that Jennifer O'Malley loses her battle with cancer, the reader sees a portrayal of how a Christian faces such an end.
Emotions run deep in this book and Henderson has written them well. I think this book reveals a great deal of maturity in Henderson's development as a writer. If you have read the other O'Malley books, you'll enjoy this one. If you haven't read the previous books in this series, this book is probably not the best entry point. It would be worth your while to go back to the beginning and get to know this great family. The O'Malley family is brilliantly conceived. Enjoy getting to know them!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Healer, Feb. 17 2003
This review is from: The Healer (Paperback)
In a time when it is so hard to find quality, clean fiction, this book shines like a beacon for a good read. The fifth in the series (there is a prequel, but not counted) the previous books do lead to this novel. The story is heartbreaking and I found myself needing to keep tissues handy while reading this book. I found myself ranging in emotions from laughter, tears, anger, and comfort. This book had it all. It is a little darker than Ms. Henderson's previous titles, but well worth the melancholy. It packs a spiritual punch that left me reflecting on my own faith. The book is entirely clean - meaning no language, no sexual situations, no filth. I am a romance reader and this was a refreshing and welcome addition to my library. It's a keeper (maybe I'll pass it on, after reading it three or four more times - but then again . . .) Highly recommended!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very stirring, Jan. 25 2003
This review is from: The Healer (Paperback)
I am an avid reader and get my hands on just about any book I can. I have been reading every book in this series as soon as it comes out. Without the images that accompany a movie or television show, books usually don't get a grip on our emotions in the same way. The O'Malley books are an exception. I fell in love with the characters. If you get drawn into books the way I do, to the extent of being almost comatose, I would advise you to have tissues when you read this one. It was an excellent story and I cannot wait until I get my copy of The Rescuer (already pre-ordered).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!!, Jan. 16 2003
J. Kennedy "bailsk" (OK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Healer (Paperback)
This book is probably one of or my favorite out of the O'Malley series so far! I would recommend it to everyone - others have said that the numerous characters are hard to follow so it is probably easier to read the series starting at the beginning, but this book is also great standing on its own!
Other books I'd recommend are:
By Dee Henderson: Danger in the Shadows (the prequel to the O'Malleys that is also amazing)and the whole O'Mally Series.
By Tim Lahaye and Jerry B. Jenkins: the Left Behind Series.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb3cf2270)

The Healer
The Healer by Dee Henderson (Paperback - Oct. 19 2005)
CDN$ 17.99 CDN$ 12.99