5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful story of an inspiring life, Oct. 15 2013
Coach Dungy shows how staying true to your core beliefs and principles is key to true success. Pro sports are perhaps the most fickle business out there, but his calm determination not to change to suit the circumstances has made him very successful. In this book, he speaks at length about his career, but also speaks of his faith. He does so not in an evangelizing way that might turn many people off, but rather in a quiet, dignified fashion that epitomizes his personality. I wasn't a football fan before I read this, and really didn't know who Tony Dungy was. Now, I count him as an inspiration and role model, and his game accounts have drawn me into the world of the NFL fan. Success all around!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good autobiography!!!, Oct. 9 2013
It's awesome to see how God used Tony Dungy in his life as a football. Even more so how Tony has been a man of integrity as a coach in the NFL. It's good to see that he didn't compromise. I would highly recommend this book to those who believe in God and those who don't believe in God. It's really an encouraging story of triumph in the midst of challenges...

5.0 out of 5 stars must buy, April 23 2013
one of the best books i ever read alot of things i did not know about him, read it in days

5.0 out of 5 stars A Devoted Christian Describes How Following God Creates Success in God's Own Good Time, Sept. 11 2007
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
If ever there was a role model for young men in athletics, Tony Dungy is that role model. I have always admired his patience and coolness under adverse and stressful circumstances. Through this book, I was able to learn more about how he uses his faith in Jesus to be an effective leader and good member of his family and community. I was particularly surprised to learn that he has a temper and needs God's help to avoid venting when it will only do harm: obviously, he has learned a great deal about how to avoid giving in to that temptation.

Coach Tony Dungy keeps life and football in perspective. Putting God and Jesus first in his life is job one. After losing his job as head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, he assumed that God wanted him full time in the ministry. He also organizes his coaching schedule so that his fellow coaches and he can be with their families as much as possible.

One of the most moving parts of the book for me was where Mr. Dungy described his reactions to his son, Jamie, taking his own life. People who have undergone similar losses would do well to read those sections of this book.

I was especially impressed to see what fine families Mr. Dungy and his wife come from and how those early experiences framed the two of them into being very special people for God.

While we often read hyped-up accounts of overnight success, success is always going to come when God wants it to. Our job is to remain patient and faithful in the meantime as Abraham, Moses, and Paul were. Coach Dungy provides a fine modern example.

For those who want to read about success in football, there's plenty of that in the book . . . but the stories serve examples of Christian principles rather than to be the center of what you gain from this book.

I also found it rewarding to see how racial prejudice continues to fade away slowly in our society, helped in part by the many outstanding successes accomplished by African Americans taking on prominent leadership roles. I hope that future generations will one day wonder what all of those discussions are all about, since they haven't experienced them.

At the same time, this book isn't preachy: It's delightfully honest about a man of faith and what that faith does for him.

May God bless you, your family, and all you do, Coach Dungy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book yet, Feb. 7 2011
I run a business and manage a fair sized group of people, my boys play football. I find a great deal in common with business and sports. I'm not religious but I find it interesting. I also like autobiographies. This book had it all and was amazing! I ordered it to start off 2011 with a good book, took a look over the holidays and then couldn't stop reading it so I landed up finishing it as the New Year started. I highly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Strong, Quiet Leader, Dec 20 2010
Brad Saunders (Waterloo, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quiet Strength: "The Principles, Practices, and Priorities of a Winning Life" (Paperback)
I just finished reading a book that has been on my shelf for years: Quiet Strength by Tony Dungy. As head coach of the Indianapolis Colts, Dungy led the team to a Super Bowl championship in 2006 (he has since retired and is doing commentary for NBC.) The book is a fascinating look at the life of a professional football coach at the highest level, but also a personal look at a man who's faith has sustained him during some very difficult circumstances - firings, loses, and the death of his son. Throughout the highs and lows, Dungy continually points the attention back to God as the source of his strength and the one who "works all things together for the good of those who love Him." The following is an inspirational handout that Dungy gave to his players while coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers:

"The first step toward creating an improved future is developing the ability to envision it. Vision will ignite the fire of passion that fuels our commitment to do whatever it takes to achieve excellence. Only vision allows us to transform dreams of greatness into the reality of achievement through human action. Vision has no boundaries and knows no limits. Our vision is what we become in life."

A pretty good mission statement I'd say, all based on Tony's basic strategy of "Keep doing the ordinary things better than anyone else. Be uncommon. Do what we do." Good advice for football teams and the rest of us as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful book., Nov. 15 2010
Larry Freiman - See all my reviews
Tony's book is not just a book about football but also a book about how to live life. He talks about how he sticks with his principles, especially throught tough times. It is inspirational as well as interesting.

Quiet Strength: "The Principles, Practices, and Priorities of a Winning Life"
CDN$ 18.99 CDN$ 13.71