Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Fall Tools

on July 5, 2010
I used "Cecil's essentials" or "little Cecil's" as a medical student 20 years ago. As a subspecialist with a family, I found Harrison's and Cecil textbooks too large and detailed to be practical to keep up on advances in other fields of internal medicine. I was looking for a general review of internal medicine to supplement my subspecialty CME and case based reading (usually [...]).

I rediscovered Cecil Essentials and what a pleasant surprise! Clinically focussed without excessive basic science detours, excellent editing/typography/illustrations, and up to date, it is excellent to make sure I don't fall behind in general internal medicine. It's light enough to read while sitting with family, before bed, and to take on trips.

Here are recent examples that I would not have picked up without a textbook:
-chemotherapy for myelodysplasia
-memantine for Alzheimer's
-role of bronchiolitis in COPD

No textbook is perfect. An overview of level 1 treatment evidence for conditions where it exists would be nice and not too long. I think my own field of critical care medicine needs a bit more exposure. To skip dermatology is odd.

But overall, I highly recommend this book for a solid overview of internal medicine for all stages from medical school through generalists and medical subspecialists.
on November 2, 2011
This book has 1282 pages of purely descriptive text written with small size font. If you have full time calender year to read it, go ahead.
It is not useful as reference guide.
on April 20, 2013
The kindle version does not work and can not be cancelled.
I finally bought the paperwork and I could not cancelle the kindle version
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again

Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History-Taking
Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History-Taking by Lynn Bickley MD (Hardcover - Nov. 12 2012)
CDN$ 137.33

Andreoli and Carpenter's Cecil Essentials of Medicine
Andreoli and Carpenter's Cecil Essentials of Medicine by Ivor Benjamin (Paperback - May 8 2015)
CDN$ 90.91

Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine 19/E (Vol.1 & Vol.2)
Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine 19/E (Vol.1 & Vol.2) by Dennis Kasper (Hardcover - April 8 2015)
CDN$ 244.00