5.0 out of 5 stars Deception Point Review

3.0 out of 5 stars Not his best
Published on Sept. 15 2009 by Gordon Walter

5.0 out of 5 stars Deception Point Review, May 25 2006
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
DECEPTION POINT is the third book I read over Christmas. The other two were Roth's PLOT AGAINST AMERICA and McCrae's KATZENJAMMER, all of which I liked-the McCrae especially since it was a tad more literary and quirky. If your like most readers, you've probably already read THE DA VINCI CODE, and A&D, and you're wanting more from Dan Brown, so you pick up DECEPTION POINT. It follows suit with the same exciting, stunning fact-filled writing. It is a page-turner, but it does tend to be a little cliche. Another attractive woman paired up with a man who hints at being attracted to each other through their outrageous near death experiences, and the information they discover will save the day in the end. It was smart, fast-moving and entertaining, but a little bit of a let down after reading the other great novels by Dan Brown. Also try the McCrae KATZENJAMMER if you're looking for a short interesting read that's like nothing else you've ever read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not his best, Sept. 15 2009
Gordon Walter (Markham, On, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deception Point (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was a strange experience. By that, I mean that as I read it I kept saying, "Nah, that's too far fetched" and "No, no, that escape is not realistic". For a guy with a logical mind where every thing in a novel must make sense and be plausible, this novel seemed to be riddled with logic holes; just too many narrow escapes from sure death and/or destruction. However, having said that, I couldn't put the darn thing down and read it from cover to cover in pretty much one sitting.

So, there you go, a great read even with all it's plot 'flaws'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just taking a break, Sept. 7 2006
P. C. (Wallingford) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deception Point (Mass Market Paperback)
I finally decided to take a break from my current genre of books. Having been immersed in the "funny, weird, laugh-out-loud" kinds (Sedaris' ME TALK PRETTY and McCrae's KATZENJAMMER) I decided to take on the thriller genre. So DECEPTION POINT seemed like the natural choice. And it was. Now, I haven't read Brown's other books, but I'm going to as soon as possible. If they're any bit as good as D.P., then I'll be pleased. Was the plot somewhat improbable? You bet. But then think of any good book or movie you've read lately. How realistic was that? My advice? If you're not a Dan Brown fan, read D.P.-----and you soon will be.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't be deceived, Aug. 30 2005
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
Usually one to read the "literary" authors (think McCrae with his "Katzenjammer" or McEwan with his "Atonement") I nevertheless decided to check out DECEPTION POINT. In Dan Brown's DECEPTION POINT, an amazing discovery above the Arctic Circle awaits verification by Rachel Sexton. Rachel is the best person to verify this discovery for the President: not only is she on his staff (as a low-level analyst for the NRO) but she is also the daughter of his most dangerous political opponent in the upcoming election. This gives her the perfect status as a skeptic to join the team of civilian scientists in the verification of this NASA find. Within hours, however, the lives of the team are in jeopardy as they discover that not everything is as it initially appears. Thought the factions of the NRO, NASA, Senator Sexton's office and the White House are far away in Washington, someone has set into motion a series of events which makes it unlikely Rachel will escape the Arctic Circle alive. In the background of the story is Rachel's estranged relationship with her father and a budding attraction to Michael Tolland, a celebrity oceanographer on the order of Jacques Cousteau. DECEPTION POINT is the kind of flawless page-turner that can keep you up far past your bedtime. I lost an entire night of sleep just trying to keep up with the plot twists. When a hapless geologist is pushed out of a helicopter by nameless thugs on page 2, you know you're in for something exciting. This story of political intrigue and survivalism continually turns the reader's expectations upside-down. It is escapist literature at its finest. Would also recommend the following books, though they're TOTALLY different and more along the "literary" lines: McCrae's CHILDREN'S CORNER and the wonderful and very unusual David Sedaris book, DRESS YOUR FAMILY. Again, nothing like Dan Brown, but then, who wants to read the same thing over and over? Enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth Reading, June 27 2005
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
When a stunning scientific discovery mixes into the world of politics, things are bound to get ugly. In Dan Brown's Deception Point, the game of politics couldn't get much uglier, as this historic discovery turns out to be one people are willing to kill for.

Deception Point centers on Rachel Sexton, daughter of a United States senator and intelligence analyst for the National Reconnaissance Organization. Rachel is summoned by the president of the United States himself - her father's opponent - to take part in the release of a monumental find by NASA. We immediately learn how complicated this situation is, as we find out that Senator Sexton's main issue in this election has been how much money taxpayers are forced to waste on failed NASA experiments. This experiment, however, could prove every dollar spent on NASA to be worth it.

From the very beginning, it's obvious that the main female character is not nearly as flat and emotionless as the ones in Brown's more popular novels Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code. Rachel is a much stronger character, which helps when she is thrown into this complex situation. The other characters in this story are well developed as well. The detestable Senator Sexton is a perfect foil for his opponent, the honest, almost anti-politician President Herney. Other major characters seem more real, as Brown gives them backgrounds that affect their thoughts and actions throughout the story.

Compared to Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code, Deception Point is not nearly as gripping. However, there is still a lot to keep you reading this one. The scientific premise is a very interesting one, especially when intertwined with the political battle. There is plenty of action, as our main characters must outrun assassins in order to let the truth be known. And of course, Brown uses his tactic of leaving every short chapter with some kind of cliffhanger-type line that makes you wonder what will happen next. It may not be as enthralling or mind-blowing a story as the other two I mentioned, but Deception Point is still a fun and suspenseful read nonetheless.

And as usual, it is educational as well. Since this is a scientific discovery, we learn quite a bit of scientific information. Brown gives us all kinds of facts relating to meteorites, glaciers, and oceanic life. In packing in all this information, Brown makes the story more believable. In addition, the book's political battle teaches us a bit about government, including a nifty little piece of trivia about a decoration in the Oval Office. Of course, as with all Brown books, we must keep in mind that this is a fiction novel and not a reference book. But keeping that in mind while allowing yourself to become engrossed in the text makes for another enjoyable read.

So while it is not as gripping as his other books, nor are the implications as provocative, Deception Point is a fun read with several instances to make you think. Action, suspense, and a good mix of likable and loathsome characters make Deception Point a truly good read, but try it for yourself! Pick up a copy! Another book I need to recommend -- completely unrelated to Brown, but very much on my mind since I purchased a "used" copy off Amazon is "The Losers' Club: Complete Restored Edition," a funny, highly entertaining little novel I can't stop thinking about.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Da-Vinci, but then, what is? Still a very good beach bk, May 28 2005
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
I was intrigued by Dan Brown's first novel THE DA VINCI CODE, and although I found many flaws to it, I still couldn't put it down (the short chapters might have been something to do with it). I then saw DECEPTION POINT and tried it out. What I found was a very similar formula, and as in the Da Vinci Code, you can work out who the villain is going to be about half-way through the book partly because there are so few characters and no more are going to be introduced, and partly because it's a Dan Brown novel, so the reader is expecting there to be a huge twist anyway. I cannot say that I was "blown away" or massively impressed by Deception Point. On the other hand, I couldn't put it down. I found the plot to be weaker than the historically fascinating 'Angels and Demons' and 'The Da Vinci Code' but overall it was a decent read. I also like other genre of books, so if you're interested in a more literary experience, try THE CHILDREN'S CORNER by Jackson McCrae or perhaps something from the Oprah book club series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Da Vinci Code good, May 24 2005
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
As I read this book I felt like I was reading a Hollywood script. Everything, from the action sequences to the behind the scenes conspiracy, right down to the ending of the book screamed "Make me into a movie!" And that's a shame too, because if Dan Brown had spent a little more time in flushing out some of the plot holes in the book (and there are many) he could have developed another stellar novel. Instead, you're left with a novel which could just as easily have been written by Michael Crichton or John Grisham.
The premise of the novel is straight forward enough. A fantastic discovery takes place in the arctic and through the course of scientific validation, the main protagonists get drawn into a tightly woven conspiracy. This is formulaic novel material and Dan Brown manages to pull it off with the best off them. And although his scientific and military descriptions are authentic enough, his story presents itself with too much flash and not enough substance for the reader to suspend any of their disbelief.
And this later point, about the suspension of disbelief, is what makes Brown's other novel The Da Vinci Code such a great read. Try as he might, Brown just cannot replicate the mystery that he managed to do with is previous outting.
I don't want to spoil the book so I'll refrain from saying anything else at this point. However if you are reading this book in hopes of a Da Vinci Code part II, you will be sadly disapointed. But if you like quick reads that don't involve a lot of thinking to be done on the part of the reader, then this book is for you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not one of Brown's better efforts. Try his grocery list., Aug. 1 2004
Ken Breadner (Waterloo, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
Okay, I'll first come out and say this novel didn't grab me like any of Brown's other novels did. It seemed to take an awfully long time to get to the payoff, and when that payoff came, it was a bit paltry.
Mike and Rachel and (maybe) Gabrielle were the only characters who were more than cardboard cut-outs (Sedgewick Sexton was particularly quarter-dimensional). And the storyline was just silly in places...that Milne ice shelf escape was pure schlock.
Now, I recognize this next is pure nitpicking, but and longtime voractious reader will tell you that the most niggling details gotten wrong can jar you completely out of the story.
There's a pont where Herney is about to give his Presidential address. We are told that 'Canadian National Radio' is picking up faint signals. Umm, Dan? You've set a chunk of your story in Canada. I can live with the fact that our government is not mentioned once, as Americans *do* have this nasty habit of just taking over other countries' land and airspace whenever it suits them, but...can you maybe take the time to ascertain whether such a thing as 'Canadian National Radio' exists? If you had simply written 'CBC', I would not have bolted upright and wondered what *else* you'd gotten wrong.
What saves this book from the dreaded one-star rating is Brown's writing. He does have an undeniable ability. The best thrillers, like Brown's own ANGELS AND DEMONS and most of Preston and Child's output, catapult you along until you're unaware you're reading. This one kind of pulled me along in stits and farts. If you're looking to kill time, by all means pick this up. But more intelligent and much better thrillers are out there...and this author has written three of them.

2.0 out of 5 stars it's tripe-tastic!, July 19 2004
Kenneth A. Murphy (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
i read this in essentially one sitting, on a plane. it's the first time in my adult life i've read one of these junk-food-for-the-brain thrillers that you see lined up in airport bookshops. and i now see the use of these sorts of books. it's a good way to utterly distract yourself while you're stuffed into an uncomfortable seat for several hours.
the reading experience was a mixture of guilty pleasure and embarassment. i'm a sucker for the techno-gee-wizardry and the intrigue, but at the same time i was astonished by the utter lameness of the writing... particularly the dialogue. the characters were 1-dimensional and completely uninteresting. i kept hoping the protaganists would die, which would lend a modicum of realism and unpredictability. but these characteristics were in short supply. and while i'm a lefty crank myself, i found the heavy-handed and simplistic left-wing bias nauseating. in this world, republicans are sinister and souless dastardly demons, and democrats are lofty and righteous. gag me.
the action sequences left me cold, and honestly could have been written by a seventh grader (the escape off the ice shelf in particular was just plain silly).
i will admit however that i allowed myself to be taken in by the plot, which was a fun ride and kept me turning the pages. but my guess it's like a million other books that have similar-looking covers and similar-sounding (and meaningless) names.
and for god sakes there was *product placement* in this book! i think dan brown must have made deals with various manufacturers of outdoor gear as he makes numerous references to brands such as Thinsulate.
i was planning on reading the da vinci code, but unless someone convinces me that d.b.'s wrinting skills have leapt forward by orders of magnitude then i'm not going to bother.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent feat!, July 15 2004
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
I just finished 'Deception Point,' and I have to wonder how many of these great novels Dan Brown is going to put out. He has truly mastered his technique in this intriguing, fast ride through plot twists and vivid characters.
He is consistent in his point of view changes, which is always evident to perceptive writerly-readers. He is also consistent with the thoughts of each character. Without frivolous distractions, I was able to focus solely on the happenings in the book, and thus, enjoy it furthermore.
It's hard to say which Brown book is my favorite, for they all have that certain pizazz and excellent plots. 'Deception Point' definitely is playing on the same level as 'The Da Vinci Code' and 'Angels and Demons,' though.
My only gripe about Brown's books are the corny pick-up lines near the end that always seem to work. If it was either dropped, or refined, the books would be even better!
In the mean time, though, I will continue to read Brown's work, because, as the third book of his that I have read, 'Deception Point' still keeps me guessing and makes me truly amazed!

Deception Point
Deception Point by Dan Brown (Mass Market Paperback - April 1 2006)
CDN$ 12.99 CDN$ 11.69