5.0 out of 5 stars Deception Point Review
DECEPTION POINT is the third book I read over Christmas. The other two were Roth's PLOT AGAINST AMERICA and McCrae's KATZENJAMMER, all of which I liked-the McCrae especially since it was a tad more literary and quirky. If your like most readers, you've probably already read THE DA VINCI CODE, and A&D, and you're wanting more from Dan Brown, so you pick up DECEPTION...
Published on May 25 2006 by Randy States

3.0 out of 5 stars Not his best
This book was a strange experience. By that, I mean that as I read it I kept saying, "Nah, that's too far fetched" and "No, no, that escape is not realistic". For a guy with a logical mind where every thing in a novel must make sense and be plausible, this novel seemed to be riddled with logic holes; just too many narrow escapes from sure death and/or destruction...
Published on Sept. 15 2009 by Gordon Walter

‹ Previous | 113 14 1531 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, but..., Oct. 21 2003
Patric Fourshe' (hillsdale, michigan USA) - See all my reviews
I have read all four of Dan Brown's novels and rate them all at 5 stars.
Deception Point is the only novel of Brown's that has made a mistake
by assigning goodness and evil to 2 main characters by making one a
Republican and one a Democrat. The Democrat is a good guy
supporting a tax-funded black hole agency as something desirable.
The bad guys are evil free market villians which the public needs to be protected from. It's a shame that a person (Brown) that has explored so much of history and has made clear cut conclusions in order to weave his stories with so much authenticity, has to this point been unable to shed his political brainwashing received in schools of higher learning.
Deception Point did not have to identify political parties to make it the exciting novel that it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Needs More than 5 Stars, Sept. 14 2003
Suzanne Vitale "jackeroophillip" (Bowling Green, Kentucky USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deception Point (Hardcover)
The DaVinci Code was my first Dan Brown Book quickly followed by Angels and Demons. Deception Point was the best of three wonderful reads. In Deception Point the action is set in a current presidental election with the usual list of unsavory political characters and general maneuvering. The plot makes this book the most suspenseful one I have read in a long time. NASA is reporting a new discovery that offers proof that life exists on other planets. The story line has been reviewed several times already so I will just add that the suspense was nearly unbearable and the ending lived up to this reader's expectations with a surprise villian and wonderful end to the greedy senator who would be president at any and all costs. Hit our 1-click ordering key for a great read as quickly as possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars No point in discussing its non-deception, July 24 2004
By A Customer
While ANGELS & DEMONS is my favorite Dan Brown book, DECEPTION POINT is my second. Not that I actually have to choose, but hey, that's my opinion. One advantage about DECEPTION POINT is that since the topics are meteorites and plankton rather than great works of art and architectural landmarks, there is no compelling need to go track down actual photographs of these things. The down side is that science is not as interesting as art, so even with the big brains watering things down so that Rachel and other neophytes such as myself and other readers I am still really just playing along rather than really understanding what is happening. If you're a Dan Brown fan, you probably already know about this book. If you're not, read this one first.
Also recommended: BARK OF THE DOGWOOD

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good Book!, Feb. 13 2004
Melvin Hunt (Cleveland,, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
President Zach Herney is running for reelection to his office.
He is trailing Senator Sedgewick Sexton in the election.Sexton
has made NASA his key issue in the election.Sexton wants to take
NASA private and allow it to be run by private companies.In the meantime a meotorite has been found in the Artic ice that possibly has evidence of life in space.Rachel(Senator Sexton's
daughter)an intelligence analyst and Michael Tolland travel to the Arctic and find out that the discovery is a deception.They are ambushed by a team of assassins have have to flee and fight for their lives.They have a desperate struggle for survival.The
plot is never boring. The true mastermind behind this conspiracy is also surprising.This is another good book by Dan Brown that
you will enjoy reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping story..., Dec 6 2001
This review is from: Deception Point (Hardcover)
I have never been one to spend much time reading fiction. On a whim, I picked up this book to read it. I read it in my spare time this week, and from the moment I started, I could think of nothing better to do.
This book leaves you wondering what's coming next, as the writer takes you through a plot that, for the most part, begs to be read more. The last book I read, Rainbow Six, played up the characters too much (this guy is the best...) In Deception Point, the characters seemed real, if not always palatable. The plot, although stretched a little from reality, was certainly feasible.
For not being a well read fiction reader (I read a ton of non-fiction), the book was a good draw to me. Normally, I will buy a book and lose interest after a short period of time...

4.0 out of 5 stars Brown's best - for entertainment purposes, May 9 2004
D. K. Miles "dkmiles1" (Naples, FL) - See all my reviews
The other Dan Brown books (Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons) employ a different model of storytelling. That is, they deal with a lot of art history and symboligy. Deception Point is more like Brown's other thriller 'Digital Fortress.' 'Deception Point' employs more of a James Patterson type read. You don't need to think much, the story just sort of plays out like watching TV in your head. That said, 'Deception Point' is a highly entertaining Science Fiction meets Science Reality stuffed together into a break-neck-paced-thriller that is tough to put down.
Great use of political power elements, Science fiction that borders on reality and naturally, a love story intertwined nicely in the middle of the whole story.
Go out and get a copy of your own, worth the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Brown Delivers again!, June 22 2006
This review is from: Deception Point (Mass Market Paperback)
Dan Brown has written another fast-paced, intellectual thriller, one in which deception, politics, and secrecy all combine to sweep the reader along. It retains the suspense of Robert Ludlum "The Paris Option" with the build up found in Britt Gillette's "Conquest of Paradise". From the Arctic ice shelf to the political rat race of Washington, DC, the plot twists and turns as the protagonists (and the reader) learn more and more about a plot that becomes more and more believable. This is not a traditional formulaic thriller. Brown's book is hard to put down, as the reader becomes more and more involved in the action. A definite must read. If you like this type of thriller you might want to check out "Tourist in the Yucatan," cool thriller set in one of my favorite places!

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD READ, June 9 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, April 13 2004
By A Customer
After reading Da Vinci code and digital fortress, both were excellent. I was looking forward to another installment of Dan Brown. Deception point is simply sub-par and a disappointment for such a gifted author;
(1.) Too similar to DF, substitute NRO for NSA, and you have the same plotline, same chases, same killer, same heroine, etc.
(2.) The buildup for the 'discovery' that would uplift NASA, restore the President's campaign, and shatter the senator's campaign was too hyped with very little substance. Fossils in a meteorite, big deal!
(3.) The lame attempt at misdirection of who the villain is Pickering vs. Tench was simply childish.
(4.) The same goes for the 'special industry group' trying to buy an election. BORING!
I'm very disappointed.
MAR

1.0 out of 5 stars Three days of my life wasted, May 1 2004
Richard Terry "richster44" (Austin, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
Great techno-thriller writers like Michael Crichton have the amazing ability to make a tale which is not even remotely plausible and make it seem extremely plausible.
Dan Brown clearly doesn't get that.
"Deception Point" is the biggest piece of garbage I've read in years. Aside from dropping every cliche known to man, giving characters names like dad soap operas (Sedgewick Sexton...pulleez) and getting stuck somewhere between a Lifetime Network movie and a James Bond film, the book is so badly conceived that when the real villain is finally unveiled, the reader has already figured it out to utter boredom 150 pages earlier.
This book will keep me from ever reading a Dan Brown novel again. If you want to avoid the same fate, pass this one by.

‹ Previous | 113 14 1531 | Next ›

Deception Point
Deception Point by Dan Brown (Mass Market Paperback - April 1 2006)
CDN$ 12.99 CDN$ 11.69