5.0 out of 5 stars Just taking a break
I finally decided to take a break from my current genre of books. Having been immersed in the "funny, weird, laugh-out-loud" kinds (Sedaris' ME TALK PRETTY and McCrae's KATZENJAMMER) I decided to take on the thriller genre. So DECEPTION POINT seemed like the natural choice. And it was. Now, I haven't read Brown's other books, but I'm going to as soon as possible. If...
Published on Sept. 7 2006 by P. C.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible - riddled with technical flaws
Dan seems to have forgetton that Ellesmere Island is part of the Country called Canada. So his highly improbable characters romp over Canada's sovereignty with the clear implication that the US owns the world. And I'm not a Canadian! Boy those Mounties up there must be dumb to not notice a huge American operation taking place in their backyard.
He stretches too...
Published on July 8 2004 by Joseph R. Engel

‹ Previous | 113 14 1531 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, April 12 2004
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
Deception Point was definitely a great book. It was chilling in some parts and action packed. This book should have had the words "Page Turner" or "Warning: After Picking up Reader Will Not Be Able to Put Down" written across the cover because it deserved it. It was written well and contained many different facets and ideas of which I was not aware. The concepts concerning NASA and politics kept me awake all throughout the night, and I learned many new things. I can only thank my wonderful physics teacher for not only recommending this book to me, but allowing me to borrow her copy of this thriller.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars. thrilling, but predictable., April 8 2004
This review is from: Deception Point (Hardcover)
upside: classic dan brown style of writing
downside: classic dan brown style of writing
my third dan brown book (DVC and A&D). those familiar with dan brown's style will recoginize that once again he uses the same "formula" to produce a high-pace, intellectual thriller. but that formula feels a bit old now leaving the ending entirely predictable. heres the outline:
step 1: introduce a mysterious death
step 2: begin to outline the plot
step 3: introduce the mysterious unknown bad guy behind everthing
step 3: introduce the hero with specific specialty
step 4: introduce the hero's love interest with specific specialty
step 5: continue on the plot and tie in mysterious death
step 6: introduce the major twist
step 7: hero and love interest make out
still a worthwhile read though. so if you have the time to enjoy it, pick it up. if there are others books on your list, read those first.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Fiction, April 8 2004
Sara Chung (SF, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
On a whim, I picked up this book to read it. I read it in my spare time this week, and from the moment I started, I could think of nothing better to do.
This book leaves you wondering what's coming next, as the writer takes you through a plot that, for the most part, begs to be read more. The last book I read, Rainbow Six, played up the characters too much (this guy is the best...) In Deception Point, the characters seemed real, if not always palatable. The plot, although stretched a little from reality, was certainly feasible.
the book was a good draw to me. Normally, I will buy a book and lose interest after a short period of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a great fan of Dan Brown - Wonderful Story!, April 8 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
I just love books like this that respect the reader so much. It's so readable, completely un-self-indulgent, and you're happily entrenched in escape-from-the-world mode from cover to cover. Also, personally I'm a great fan of all the amazing new technology that comes out but I'd never have time to learn about it.
In Dan Brown's books, one of the things I look forward to is knowing that he's going to teach me about all the cool new stuff, in a way that shows how it might all actually be used, for good or for evil, and I always come away feeling like my knowledge is right there on the cutting edge!
I just have a ton of respect for an author who does so much homework about interesting things and does such a good job at making it so much fun to absorb for his readers. It's something I've always liked about Tom Clancy, but I now think I like Dan's books more because they always keep the energy level up and don't drag on with filler like it seems Clancy's books now do.
I find Dan's books somehow entertain me in the effortless, direct way a great movie does: I can just sit down and sink into the great story and, and I mean this in the best possible way, I don't really have to think; it's not like reading, it's more like watching a great flick. You kind of just sit back and enjoy the ride - the story just flows into you.
I'm always sad to finish them because life seems so mundane afterward. For fun, if you are open minded and looking for those books begging for its pages to be turned...look no further.
I just read a copy of Edgar Fouche's 'Alien Rapture,' which also blew me away. Fouche was a Top Secret Black Program 'insider', whose credibility has been verified over and over. I also really liked Dan Brown's 'Angels and Demons.' Want to be shocked, check out Dr. Paul Hill's 'Unconventional Flying Objects' which NASA tried to ban - and lend credibility to Brown's book and the possibility of NASA and Government cover-ups. Anyway, great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleasantly surprised!, April 6 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
Of the three books I've read recently (Harris' POMPEII, McCrae's BARK OF THE DOGWOOD, and DECEPTION POINT) DP was by far my favorite. Not to take anything away from the other two--both great reads but totally different from this author and genre--but DP was such an action packed thriller with such a great plot that I can't help but rave about it. Kudos Mr. Brown--you've done it once again!
Also recommend: Pompeii, Bark of the Dogwood, The Devil in the White City

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great novel by Dan Brown, April 6 2004
Joseph H Pierre "Joe Pierre" (Salem, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
I first read The Da Vinci Code by this author, and was impressed by the extent of his research, although obviously he derived much of his data from Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and Henry Lincoln. Possibly he also depended upon the research done by Umberto Eco, who wrote The Name of the Rose and Foucault's Pendulum, all three of which I have reviewed for Amazon..

In any case, whoever was responsible, the research effort was intimidating. And so it is here. It is not uncommon for various authors to use ideas from others to derive their plots. What impresses me is the story they write around their plots. Dan Brown is an impressive storyteller. This book is a zinger!
He throws in much in the way of science from divergent disciplines, from oceanography, glaciology, paleontology, astronomy, and vulcanology to name only a few. There are also references to UFOlogy and military technology, including a ton of intelligence methodology and equipment--much new to me (and everyone else outisde the military.) For example: The fabled Aurora jet fighter, and Improved Munitions (IM) weapons, which use ammunition manufactured on the spot from elements of the environment, i.e.: ice bullets from snow. And a flying radio controlled communications device the size of a mosquito that sends televised images back to the operator in real time.
The author assures us that all technologies described in the book actually exist, as well as the agencies: the Delta Force, the NRO, and the Space Frontier Foundation, just as did the organizations in The Da Vinci Code.

This story's protagonist is Rachel Sexton, who writes daily intelligence briefs (gists) for the President of the United States for a living, as an employee of the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO), an intelligence community function.
Sexton's senator father is the leading opposituion candidate for the presidency. His daughter bears hostility toward him because of his past unfaithfulness to her late mother, and his self-centered political ambitions. He has a propensity for attacking NASA, and has made a political football of its failures and cost overruns. His attacks have helped him in the polls, and hurt the President's standing, so when it is announced that a NASA satellite has discovered a large meteorite imbedded in the ice near the arctic circle, and it develops that the rock has apparent fossils of exoskeletal life forms imbedded in it, it is very dood news for NASA and the President.

But there are glitches. All is not kosher on the Western Front.
This is a complicated plot, but it unfolds easily and is an easy read. With over 550 pages, the book will keep you entertained for a couple of days, anyway, depending of course upon your reading speed and time available to you for recreational reading.

Although the plot is convoluted, and the identity of the head "bad guy" is kept secret until near the end, I enjoyed the book very much. I look forward to the next book by this author.
Joseph (Joe) Pierre, USN (Ret)

author of Handguns and Freedom...their care and maintenance

and other books

4.0 out of 5 stars Another decent thriller by Dan Brown, April 5 2004
Steven M. Balke Jr. (Ypsilanti, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
If you are familiar with Dan Brown's other works and enjoy them, you will thoroughly enjoy this one too...
Deception Point is a good book, but it falls short in the very same place that Brown's other books do--his plotlines just aren't very imaginative or believable. I understand that good fiction doesn't have to be believable to be good (as Brown's books are a perfect example of) but they should at least try not to make the reader laugh outloud at the absurdity that occasionally popped up in Deception Point.
As with his other books (which I own all and keep with the rest of the books that I enjoyed reading) it contains solid and consistent writing and great choice of theological viewpoints to encourage the reader to use the heads, but the characters are weak, the plot is filled with massive holes, and once you get past the initial taste he gives you--you find it hard to swallow the whole thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story, same plot format, April 5 2004
H. Shaw (Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
I loved the story, but after reading The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons, I pretty much knew who the bad guy was going to be and how it ended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good One!, April 5 2004
colmlt (Abingdon, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
After reading the DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons, which I found very good, I had to read Dan Brown's two other offerings. Deception Point was well written with a great deal of action and suspense. I am still wondering, though, how Dan was going to land the plane at Bolling Air Force Base. Bolling has no runway. A minor error in what was a fun book to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the hype...., April 2 2004
Jeffrey Roberts (Long Island, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
somewhat predictable, but fast moving and enjoyable....I liked the book, but not as good as A&D....

‹ Previous | 113 14 1531 | Next ›

Deception Point
Deception Point by Dan Brown (Mass Market Paperback - April 1 2006)
CDN$ 12.99 CDN$ 11.69