5.0 out of 5 stars Just taking a break
Published on Sept. 7 2006 by P. C.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible - riddled with technical flaws
Dan seems to have forgetton that Ellesmere Island is part of the Country called Canada. So his highly improbable characters romp over Canada's sovereignty with the clear implication that the US owns the world. And I'm not a Canadian! Boy those Mounties up there must be dumb to not notice a huge American operation taking place in their backyard.
He stretches too...
Published on July 8 2004 by Joseph R. Engel

‹ Previous | 1 2 331 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Could not stop reading!!, April 29 2009
This review is from: Deception Point (Mass Market Paperback)
My dad gave me this book when I was lamenting that there seemed to be no more Dean Koontz to read...I was waiting for a next release and figured I needed another author to fill the void. This was the first Dan Brown novel I read and holy smokes awesome!! One of those thrill rides that just keeps you glued to the edge of your seat, even bathroom breaks wait!! Try walking and reading and stopping cause it is so exciting you don't want to look away to find the light switch! Actually read DaVinci code after, and then everything he has written which is my only complaint, NOT ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!! We NEED more books and although DaVinci is awesome, more like Deception Point would be trully apreciated!!! Have loved everyone of his books and can hardly wait for this next one that is not out yet!! Woo Hoo a New Dan Brown Book!!! Going to be great!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not his best, Sept. 15 2009
Gordon Walter (Markham, On, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deception Point (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was a strange experience. By that, I mean that as I read it I kept saying, "Nah, that's too far fetched" and "No, no, that escape is not realistic". For a guy with a logical mind where every thing in a novel must make sense and be plausible, this novel seemed to be riddled with logic holes; just too many narrow escapes from sure death and/or destruction. However, having said that, I couldn't put the darn thing down and read it from cover to cover in pretty much one sitting.

So, there you go, a great read even with all it's plot 'flaws'.

1.0 out of 5 stars Could Barely Continue, June 5 2004
D. S. Heersink "D. Stephen Heersink" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
"Deception Point," Dan Brown's third novel, is about the truth, falsity, and political consequences of a NASA claim to have discovered a historic meteorite embedded in ice for more than three centuries.
The intrigue that ensues is an enormous disappointment and less than thrilling after reading "Angels and Demons," "Digital Fortress," and "The D'Vinci Code."The novel takes 150 pages of mindless digressions before the first "event" occurs, and even then it is a minor event in the scope of things. Another 200 pages of wandering digressions and ruminations follow before the novel picks up steam for the final 200 pages. Even when the tension begins to mount toward the end, Brown is given to endless digression after digression, making the novel lose its steam time and again.
There were numerous occasions where I almost gave up reading, dreading another arcane lesson in Brown's extensive armamentaria of knowledge (e.g., the size, dimension, manufacturer, nation of origin, purpose, use - both licit and illicit - of aircraft, streets, memorials, geodesic domes, ice picks, chronometers, boats, ad nauseam). But the worst part came when the incredulous finale arrives -- an ending only God could have crafted in the derision of humankind.
The book is not recommended. Brown's other three novels, however, are..

1.0 out of 5 stars Beyond awful, Dec 30 2011
This review is from: Deception Point (Mass Market Paperback)
I'll never torture myself again with a Dan Brown book after forcing myself to work through this turd. Characters that make two dimensions seem too many, a plot that takes absurdity into and beyond the realms of stupidity, fanciful "technology" that is already demonstrated to be utter rubbish, and writing that barely scrapes above the quality of a third-grader, this represents an insult to the intelligence of 98% of the human population of this planet. How on earth a book editor could ever have given the green-light to publish this horrific mess of words is beyond me. Absolute rubbish, and a good reason for the dismantling of any publishing house that believes that Dan Brown and any of his ilk are worthy of killing trees to publish. For the sake of all sanity, please do not purchase or read this book (or, if this is any example, ANY of Dan Brown's books) - it is only encouraging something to produce more of this crap. I'm forced to give it one star because Amazon will not allow me less, but if I could I would give it a negative rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trying to avoid spoilers -- great book, Oct. 31 2011
M. Bailin (southern Ont., Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Deception Point (Mass Market Paperback)
Finally finished this one after it reached the top of the stack of books I'd purchased recently but not yet read, and was delighted with it. For my money, it's by far the best Dan Brown novel yet not involving Dr. Langdon, and in terms of can't-put-it-down pacing gives even the better-known Langdon "trilogy" a good run for the money.

You're kept guessing right to the end as to who's actually involved in the conspiracy, and for that matter whether or not the President is aware of it, or if he's an active participant.

Hopefully I won't spoil things too much by revealing that at least two rather unpleasant characters, who we can easily assume to be in fairly powerful positions within the conspiracy, turn out to be victims of it, and apparently on "our" (and Rachel's) side after all.

Could make one helluva movie, between the suspense and the action sequences -- wonder if anyone's acquired the rights to it yet?

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, Aug. 5 2011
This review is from: Deception Point (Mass Market Paperback)
Being a fan of Dan Brown, I found this to be a refreshing and new take on his oh-so-familiar writing that I continue to enjoy. Although it was an easy read, I found myself consumed by this book for a few days time, and read cover to cover without loss of interest. An enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just taking a break, July 11 2007
P.C. (Wallingford) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deception Point (Mass Market Paperback)
I finally decided to take a break from my current genre of books. Having been immersed in the "funny, weird, laugh-out-loud" kinds (Sedaris' ME TALK PRETTY and McCrae's KATZENJAMMER) I decided to take on the thriller genre. So DECEPTION POINT seemed like the natural choice. And it was. Now, I haven't read Brown's other books, but I'm going to as soon as possible. If they're any bit as good as D.P., then I'll be pleased. Was the plot somewhat improbable? You bet. But then think of any good book or movie you've read lately. How realistic was that? My advice? If you're not a Dan Brown fan, read D.P.-----and you soon will be.

5.0 out of 5 stars fast plot, July 6 2007
Toni Osborne "The Way I See It" (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Deception Point (Mass Market Paperback)
This thriller is so intense, has so many twists and turns, is packed with fast moving plots, visual descriptions and a bit of romance it is almost impossible to put it down. This novel is an outstanding read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not A&D, but then, what is?, Dec 31 2006
This review is from: Deception Point (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved Brown's ANGELS & DEMONS. In fact, it is my favourite of all his books with DA VINCI coming in second. DECEPTION POINT, while good, just wasn't my cup of tea. But it was well written and moved along just as fast as his others. Would also recommend the novel SPELLBOUND for those of you who like a good story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A REAL THRILLER ..., July 7 2006
A REAL THRILLER ...

Nothing could come up to the Da Vinci Code, but this is a great thriller that will keep you guessing right up to the end. I've only read two of Dan Brown's books, but look forward to many more exciting reads. Highly recommended.

Also recommended: 1106 GRAND BOULEVARD, MILLENNIUM BABE: THE PROPHECY, JOINT TASK FORCE AFRICA and all books by David Meadows, CAMEL CLUB, THE TOONIES INVADE SILICON VALLEY

‹ Previous | 1 2 331 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb94eef3c)

Deception Point
Deception Point by Dan Brown (Mass Market Paperback - April 1 2006)
CDN$ 12.99 CDN$ 11.69