5.0 out of 5 stars Deception Point Review
DECEPTION POINT is the third book I read over Christmas. The other two were Roth's PLOT AGAINST AMERICA and McCrae's KATZENJAMMER, all of which I liked-the McCrae especially since it was a tad more literary and quirky. If your like most readers, you've probably already read THE DA VINCI CODE, and A&D, and you're wanting more from Dan Brown, so you pick up DECEPTION...
Published on May 25 2006 by Randy States

3.0 out of 5 stars This time the conspiracy is political.
Published on June 10 2004 by abt1950

‹ Previous | 1 2 331 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best reads I've had of late..., July 5 2004
Thomas Duff "Duffbert" (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deception Point (Hardcover)
Instead of doing a number of things I *should* have been doing, I decided to start the novel Deception Point by Dan Brown. Bad mistake... I couldn't put it down. :-)
The main story revolves around a meteorite which has been found embedded in ice in the Arctic Circle. Even more surprising is that it shows fossils of bug-like creatures that prove that there is extraterrestrial life. This occurs on a political backdrop where NASA (who discovered the meteor using a high-tech satellite) is under fire to be privatized, and the president is taking a beating from his opponent during an election year for defending them. The president sends an NSA intel agent up to confirm the finding and report back, and at first all seems as it appears. But people start getting murdered and some facts surface that point to the meteor being a well-constructed hoax. Meanwhile, the senator gunning for the president's job is riding a roller coaster of fate on his campaign as NASA's stock goes up and down. He's being illegally financed by a group that wants to take over the agency, and their discovery of the meteor could spell the end of his political life. All these plotlines (and a few others) coverge at the end to a final showdown with a few twists I didn't see coming...
This is probably one of the best recreational reads I've had of late. The pacing was perfect. It wasn't over-written, even though the book is 557 pages long. I was actually interested through the whole thing. While I had my misgivings about his other works like The Da Vinci Code, Brown writes an excellent techo-thriller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool Thriller, July 1 2004
S. A. Cartwright "Stu Cartwright" (Wayland, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
Political intrigue, high-tech science, oceanography, special-ops teams, AND a meteorite with proof of extraterrestrial life! Wow! This tale has it all.
In a presidential election year, the incumbent and his challenger duel over the role of NASA. Suddenly, NASA finds the Holy Grail, a meteorite with proof positive of extra terrestrial life forms! How convenient for the President who has backed NASA. But he keeps it quiet for a week, while he brings in a team of civilian scientists who can confirm the find. Among them, Rachel Sexton, daughter of the President's opponent in November, and also Michael Tolland, the Hollywood version of Jacques Cousteau. Their findings are conclusive...or are they? Enter killer special-operations teams. Someone is in big trouble soon! And to top it all off, the suspense takes shape on top of a mountain of ice high in the Arctic ocean. OK, so it's a little far-fetched that NASA would go to such extremes to save itself, or even that a US Senator knows how to operate a copy machine, but isn't that why we buy these paperbacks...to suspend our disbelief for a few hours?
A super page-turner on the order of the Da Vinci code, Deception Point puts a little ice in your summer reading. Take it to the shore...there is even a nod to "Jaws" in it that will keep you on your beach blanket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another taut thriller from Dan Brown, June 25 2004
Debra Hamel (North Haven, CT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
Intelligence analyst Rachel Sexton, an employee of the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO), is used to absorbing complex data and repackaging it into digestible bits for consumption by the likes of Zach Herney, the President of the United States. As it happens, Rachel is also the estranged daughter of Democratic senator and presidential candidate Sedgewick Sexton, who is running against the incumbent on an anti-NASA platform. When NASA makes a (conveniently-timed) discovery of unparalleled importance deep in the Arctic circle, inside a three-hundred-foot-thick ice floe on the coast of Ellesmere Island, President Herney shrewdly recruits Rachel to corroborate the find and summarize the science behind it for his staff. Rachel's involvement in the project, however, which requires observation of the find in situ, plunges her into a nightmarish race for survival after she and a small band of civilian scientists stumble upon certain irregularities in NASA's evidence.
Deception Point is yet another taut, intelligent thriller from the keyboard of Dan Brown, who, like his protagonist, excels at transforming complex information into digestible prose. This is top-notch escapist fiction. Put it on your summer reading list.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Page Turner - Never wanted to put it down, June 25 2004
J. Stoner "Plants and Books" (Parkville, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
Deception Point is a fantastic book. It is extremely fast paced, and gets the reader sucked in very quickly. Dan Brown is a clever writer and I will explain why: this book is a page turner because of the action sequences, but more importantly it's the style of writing Brown uses during all scenes - action and more importantly, the politcal front. Brown gives the reader so much information about each event, but leaves one piece missing - the most important piece.
For example, there is so much build-up surrounding NASA's discovery and conversation after conversation keeps filling in some details about the ramifications and importance of this discovery and then - New Chapter. You don't specifically find out what is happening until a few chapter later, but in the meantime there is something totally different going on in the other chapters.
This book is very interesting with it's science base, but it's not science fiction (which I am a big fan of) so the science is not as hard core as I would've liked, but still near-mindblowing.
My final comment was towards the end of the book when it was wrapping up I thought I was going to be let down with the ending because of everything that had unfolded, but then it didn't. I was satisfied with the ending. Towards the end of the book I thought I was definately going to upset at the whole book because of the last 75 pages; however, I wasn't upset at all. Just greatly satisfied and phenomenally entertained.
(By the way, this is my first Dan Brown book, I have not read the Davinci Code or any of his other books).

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Deception, June 21 2004
D. Johnson "Chi-Town Dale" (Lombard, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
I have read a number of other reviews of this book and it seems folks either love it or hate it. Put me in the former group.
Too many people say it is a formula of Dan Brown's other books. If so, so what. The object of any book is to either inform or entertain. The best written books do both. This is a book like that. It informs in that it gives you some behind the scenes looks at Washington and our Federal agencies. Not all of what it says is true, since after all, it is a work of fiction. Yes, Dan doesn't spend hundreds of pages "developing" the characters, but then again in an adventure novel who wants an autobiography of each character? Not me, for sure. I want the book to get down to the action. And this book has more action than most. Hard to believe that humans can take this much physical abuse and be able to stand up at the end of the story! That is why I enjoy Dan Brown's writing, as well as Clive Cussler, Tom Clancey, et al. Those who complain about Dan's writing sure must not like Tom Clancey's then. He spends 950 pages bulding a plot and resolves it all in the last 50 pages. But I still enjoy his writing.
Anyway, since many before me have written about the plot of this particular book, I only want to say, forget what Dan wrote in The Davinci Code or any other book, kick back and enjoy this book as if you have never read a Dan Brown book before in your life. If you do, you will enjoy it as much as I did. If you want character development, read someone's autobiography. If you want more facts, read a textbook. If you want to be entertained, read this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars This time the conspiracy is political., June 10 2004
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
Let me start off by saying I'm the only person on the planet who hasn't read "The DaVinci Code." I'm waiting until it comes out in paper or until I stumble over it in the library. However, I have read "Angels and Demons," its prequel. It was on the strength of that book that I picked up "Deception Point." Whatever their flaws (and there are many), both "Deception Point" and "Angels and Demons" are fun reads.
"Deception Point" shares many of the strengths of "Angels and Demons"--the action-packed "run for your lives" story line, the conspiracy-based plot, and the tidbits of knowledge about an esoteric field. It's all there, plus the author's claim to realism in his note that "all technologies described in this novel exist" (Brown used a similar disclaimer in "Angels and Demons.") I won't elaborate on the plot--you can read about that elsewhere--except to say that here the major players are scientists and politicians, the esoterica involves meteorites, and the politics revolve around scientific fakery, NASA, and a Presidential election.
"Deception Point" shares many of flaws of "Angels and Demons" as well. The characters are shallow--cardboard puppets at best. The "evil government" element is paranoiac and (I hope) overdone. At least it's the individuals, not the institution that Brown paints so darkly. The fact that the heroine's father, from whom she is estranged, is one of the major bad guys, seems to throw in a token note of family drama, but really just emphasizes how nasty he is. The hero, a dashing, handsome, sensitive marine biologist turned media star is just a little too good to be true. The novel reads very much like "Angels and Demons" but recast into a different setting.
"Deception Point" relies too much on formula to be a truly exceptional thriller. But the novel does have its moments. It's more like an action movie, and if that's what you're interested in, well, then pass the popcorn.

4.0 out of 5 stars Are you joking?, June 6 2004
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
The first spotlight review was terrible! This book was great! A:
"DECEPTION POINT takes place in a parallel America with only passing resemblance to the real thing. In this parallel America, the top-rated show on television is a documentary program about Earth's oceans, and a presidential candidate can surge to the top of the polls by publicly bashing NASA's budget overruns. Clearly Brown's more interested in the thrill-a-minute set pieces he's arranged for his characters to endure than in providing an even slightly realistic backdrop."
"DECEPTION POINT demonstrates that no cliché is beneath Brown's consideration. The novel has everything: scheming politicians with a history of infidelity and dishonest financial dealings, wisecracking scientists, killers who can never seem to kill the heroes even when there's no escape, and villains who'd rather talk about their plans than dispose of their enemies. Perhaps if Dan Brown were trying to create an AUSTIN POWERS-like satire of technothrillers, DECEPTION POINT could be considered a success. As it is, the novel is a flailing mess even before it reaches its howlingly far-fetched conclusion."
Clearly, you dont understand this was a book not real life.
b:
STOP COMPARING THE BOOK TO MICHAEL CRICHTON, Ideas are reused, GET USED TO IT
Great book, read it anyday

3.0 out of 5 stars Racing to the stop sign, June 1 2004
This review is from: Deception Point (Hardcover)
In reading this book, I felt like a native of Orlando,Florida where, without synchronized traffic lights, the cars jockey about, race one another, darting in and out of lanes of traffic like a school of fish, only to all arrive at the same traffic light, a cyclops mocking their efforts to get ahead of the pack.
This book succeeds in the thrill-a-page mode, so no dings there.
However, the author has to stop too many times to bring the reader "up to speed" with the characters. It's as if the characters have to stop the breakneck action, have a coffee break and discuss "the show so far" and then get back to the life-threatening situation at hand. The stops in the action
seemed very contrived and awkward, and were obvious asides to keep the reader abreast of the character's thought processes.
Unfortunately, the characters themselves are so diverse in their backgrounds that they cannot perform self-contained deduction without detailed conversations with the other characters.
However, the Corky character is hilarious.
Some of the science reference are weak or just wrong. He shows how "Darwinian taxonomy" can be used to classify his space-bug, but our current taxonomy system was devised by Karl Linnaus and predates Darwin by about 100 years. More unfortunately for Brown, the Linnaen system uses the Biblical book of Genesis as a foundation, not the discredited Darwinian theories. As an evolutionist, I would not mind throwing Darwin a bone if they were at least in the same century.
The twists and ironies are just too predictable and the last scene of attempting to rescue the heroin from the Triton is like a mixture of "White Squall" overlayed on the Raiders of the Lost Ark where Indiana Jones is trying to get Marian out of the plane before it explodes. This framework weakens the overarching event of the oceanic whirlpool, which by itself gets a big thumbs up for the means to vanquish the enemy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it a lot!, May 27 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
I just love books like this that respect the reader so much. It's so readable, completely un-self-indulgent, and you're happily entrenched in escape-from-the-world mode from cover to cover. Also, personally I'm a great fan of all the amazing new technology that comes out but I'd never have time to learn about it.
In Dan Brown's books, one of the things I look forward to is knowing that he's going to teach me about all the cool new stuff, in a way that shows how it might all actually be used, for good or for evil, and I always come away feeling like my knowledge is right there on the cutting edge! I just have a ton of respect for an author who does so much homework about interesting things and does such a good job at making it so much fun to absorb for his readers. It's something I've always liked about Tom Clancy, but I now think I like Dan's books more because they always keep the energy level up and don't drag on with filler like it seems Clancy's books now do.
I find Dan's books somehow entertain me in the effortless, direct way a great movie does: I can just sit down and sink into the great story and, and I mean this in the best possible way, I don't really have to think; it's not like reading, it's more like watching a great flick. You kind of just sit back and enjoy the ride - the story just flows into you.
I'm always sad to finish them because life seems so mundane afterward. For fun, if you are open minded and looking for those books begging for its pages to be turned...look no further. I just read a copy of Edgar Fouche's 'Alien Rapture,' which also blew me away. Fouche was a Top Secret Black Program 'insider', whose credibility has been verified over and over. I also really liked Dan Brown's 'Angels and Demons.' Want to be shocked, check out Dr. Paul Hill's 'Unconventional Flying Objects' which NASA tried to ban - and lend credibility to Brown's book and the possibility of NASA and Government cover-ups. Anyway, great stuff.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dan Brown's Deception Point, May 26 2004
This review is from: Deception Point (Paperback)
Dan Brown hit it big with The Da Vinci Code. He had already used the characters in that book once before in Angels & Demons. Now when I say he used the characters, I mean not only was Robert Langdon in both stories, but the female lead, the endearing father figure, the megalomaniacal villain, the unstoppable killer, and the militant police officer were in both stories. Now, true, the names for everyone but Robert Langdon were changed. But they were the same characters.
On top of that, I think that Angels & Demons is a far superior story to The Da Vinci Code. So when I downloaded and began reading Deception Point, Brown's third novel, I was afraid that the same characters would be present. I still suspected this having gotten all the way through the first dozen chapters or so. None of the characters had been developed very well at that point and even though the apparent main character was female instead of male, the same kind of details existed around her. She did an obscure job, had a phobia, and got thrown into a situation that she felt completely foreign in.
Howver, what I discovered as I read was that of his latter three books, Deception Point is definitely Brown's best work. (I have yet to read Digital Fortress, his very first novel.) Brown didn't focus on just one character for the story to revolve around, he had two: Rachel Sexton (the action sequences star) and Gabrielle Ashe (the intrigue sequences star).
The story is that of a presidential election and a massive NASA discovery - a meteorite that contained fossilized extraterrestials! Great stuff. The action sequences included icebergs, submarines, black helicopters, UFOs, and Hammerhead sharks! The intrigue sequences included terrorism, illegal campaign financing, massive governmental cover-ups, and the naturally exciting field of presidential politics.
When I think about either of the Illuminati novels, I can think of six main characters. When I think of this novel, there are at least 10 main characters and I know I'm missing some. In a complete reversal of normal literary critique, Brown seems to be a better storyteller when he doesn't focus on developing characters. It truly is the weakest part of his craft (if you don't count the ham-fisted romantic relationships he tries to write).
In the end, I knew three-quarters of the way through who the real megalomaniacal mastermind was. And it was then that I started recognizing a few of the set pieces that Brown is using over and over. For lack of a better term, he has schticks. And he's used them in all three novels of his that I've read. See if you can find them.
Overall, this book was worth the time if you're a Dan Brown fan. It read quickly in parts but slowly in others and sometimes the twists were telegraphed a mile away. If I were asked I would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys popcorn movies.

‹ Previous | 1 2 331 | Next ›

Deception Point
Deception Point by Dan Brown (Mass Market Paperback - April 1 2006)
CDN$ 12.99 CDN$ 11.69