5.0 out of 5 stars Great sequel...
Published 12 months ago by Pat the cat

3.0 out of 5 stars Curse of the Spellmans
I really enjoyed the first Spellman novel, so decided to purchase the second. I didn't find it nearly as entertaining as the original, but it's a fun read.
Published on Nov. 23 2010 by Cynthia Mcmillan

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sequel..., Aug. 9 2013
Pat the cat - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I'm slowly making my way through the Spellmans series and so far, it's been a real joy! In this 2nd book, we catch up with our heroine, Izzy Spellman, who continues to have issues with her parents and bosses, the owner of the Spellman Detective Agency. Izzy is complicated, neurotic, paranoid and amusing. Her unconventional way of dealing with her life and the quirky characters in it is so entertaining. I continued to be quite amused by the little sister Ray and her obsession with Detective Henry Stone in particular was a riot. I've turned into a fan! I give it 5 stars (excellent).

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining!!, Feb. 12 2013
An easy to read book. It's funny. I'm defintely reading the whole serie. I read the paperback version and brought it with me everywhere i went.

3.0 out of 5 stars Curse of the Spellmans, Nov. 23 2010
Cynthia Mcmillan (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars A Sequel That Exceeds the Original in Humor and Entertainment, April 22 2008
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Curse of the Spellmans: A Novel (Hardcover)
The Spellman Files seemed more than a little contrived . . . but funny. I wasn't sure I wanted to read Curse of the Spellmans, but I'm sure glad I did. This book lives up to its quirky cover and delivers more humor and entertainment than the first book in the series.

Ms. Lutz makes a good decision in having her characters change and grow from the last book. As a result, the interactions are different and largely unpredictable. By shaking things up, you get to laugh at yourself as you consider how goofy some of your guesses are.

The context for the book is that Izzy (Isabel) Spellman has been arrested four times and will have to go to court this time. If she's found guilty, so much for her PI license. Her attorney's main value is that he doesn't charge her and can sometimes even stay awake when something needs to be done.

The rest of the family is acting weird. Mom and Dad Spellman are keeping strange secrets. Brother David isn't his usual paragon self. Rae is predictably a pain, but a teenage-variety pain. Izzy has taken on her Mom's usual role of checking out her dates.

The book has one big weakness that kept me from giving it five stars: Most of the "secrets" are pretty easy to guess so the suspense element doesn't quite work in several long sections. If you can ignore the obvious until the end of the book, the humor will work better for you.

Curse of the Spellmans: A Novel
Curse of the Spellmans: A Novel by Lisa Lutz (Hardcover - March 11 2008)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01