4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read that's funny and on-point.
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. It's funny, a little crude (which I appreciate when it comes to how obscure the subject of our internal workings can be) touching, and on point.

Published on June 1 2010 by Kristin Matte

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT MY CUP OF TEA
Did not relate to this book at all ! I found it really hard to keep reading to finish .
Published 13 months ago by anne

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read that's funny and on-point., June 1 2010
Kristin Matte (Montreal, Quebec) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Women Food and God: An Unexpected Path to Almost Everything (Hardcover)

As a young woman, diets and diet-culture is a constant issue. My friends and I have grown up hyper-aware of our bodies, to various degrees. When you grow up in a culture that's obsessed with the sexualization of women and girls, that has an un-reasonable beauty standard and yet is constantly marketing food to you, it can all be too much.

The book was an easy read, but made a lot of great points. I was initially put off by the word "god" in the title, but turns out there's no religious aspect to the book at all, she just talks about life / the universe / how things are. Diets don't work. And having an issue with food or suffering from an eating disorder is more complicated than just going on a diet or adopting a "get'er done" attitude. She explores that.

I would recommend the book to anyone who has issues with food and with their bodies. It's a nice read, the tone is light and Geneen really writes as an ally, it's not some patronizing, medicalizing, overly theoretical lecture. It's a funny friend making things clear with the best of intentions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected, May 6 2010
C. Campbell (BC) - See all my reviews
An interesting read. I purchased this book not because of eating too much but more about an insight into relationships with food in all aspects, not just consuming it. I am addicted to cooking it... I just love to cook at length and use cooking as a way of escaping from my every day life. Any way you look at it, most of us try to escape in our lives, whether it be from people or situations, or our own feelings. This book had great insights and the bottom line is that at the end of day you can use something.. a consumption, that we think will make us feel better... but at the end, the same problem is there and now we just have to deal with the original problem AND the fact that we tried to hide from it while consuming something else. In essence we feel worse cause now we have to deal with more and it becomes self perpetuating. I don't often read self help books all the way to the end but this one I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for Every Woman Who Struggles, March 29 2013
It is not just about a relationship with food, but the same message can be given for anything we have some subtle or overt struggle with... alcohol, drugs, shopping, anything. This sets the stage for our having a deeper understanding of where we are coming from. This is not a religious book by the way, but rather a spiritual one, that delves into our deepest places. I'm now reading it for the second time (in a row!), and this time taking notes. Once is not enough of a read for this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never diet again and learn how to care for yourself in other ways., Aug. 25 2011
Nancy Cronyn "doglover" (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This book began the transformation for me from 40 years of continuous less and less successful attempts to diet to really beginning to taste and use food in a much more pleasurable way. I discovered that the dieting I have done was actually abusive to myself and kept me from truly being with myself in my feelings. I was either eating to numb out or restricting myself so strictly that I was always angry with myself for not being able to stay with a program or for eating too much. I was never happy with myself and I was addicted to this behaviour. I thought it was the way I would finally win the battle.
This book helped me to see the falacy in that thinking. I felt like Geneen was talking to me directly. I haven't dieted for over a year. I have gained and lost 10 pounds once during that time but that is not the most important thing anymore. I am beginning to see how truly cruel I have been to myself all these years. I believe this is the way to a healthier, happier lifestyle as I start to love myself and take in life in other ways than inhaling food.

4.0 out of 5 stars Women Food and God: An Unexpected Path to Almost Everything, Dec 13 2010
Geneen's words cut like a knife. They are a wake up call! I feel that this book may lead us to final peace with food. We all know that it has never been about what we are eating but rather, what is eating us. She really taps into areas that we may be afraid to face...but we really need to, in order to find peace of mind...and peace of body once and for all!

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT MY CUP OF TEA, July 18 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLEN book and wonderful service from compnay, Feb. 11 2013
I received my book early (like 3 weeks earlier than anticipated. This is a wonderful book. Extremely inciteful and has provided me with a new outlook on weightloss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Women, food and God, Nov. 12 2012
This review is from: Women Food and God (Paperback)
I really enjoyed the book. I found it very inspiring and I would recommend it to anyone who is willing to live a more meaningfull life.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, April 23 2012
the book is amazing Geneen really understands the problems of compulsive overeating helped me greatly. Will read again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rignt on the Nose..., June 30 2010
Maureen Kelly-Devin (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
This book could have been written about me...my sister, my cousins, some friends in our struggles to lose and relose the same weight.

I discovered from Geneen's outlook that it's NOT about the FOOD, it's about the WHY ...

Will be rereading this book with a yellow highliter in hand....

Well worth it !!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Women Food and God: An Unexpected Path to Almost Everything
Women Food and God: An Unexpected Path to Almost Everything by Geneen Roth (Hardcover - March 2 2010)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01