5.0 out of 5 stars For those who said "it doesn't apply to me..."
Published on June 9 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars INSIGHTFUL INFORMATION IF YOU HAVE THE PATIENCE TO FIND IT.
Published on July 12 2001 by Lorrie Irby

5.0 out of 5 stars For those who said "it doesn't apply to me...", June 9 2004
By A Customer
My doctor recommended this book to me and after having read it the first time, I went back to go and see her and said "this book completely doesn't apply to me". She said to pick it up again in about a month and read it again, but this time to open my mind a little bit more and try not to take her examples so literally or to that extreme but to try to find connections in my childhood that could relate and THEN think about it. After having read it the 2nd time, I really started to make the connections. The thing is that Norwood's examples are very precise in scenerios that...true...does not apply to everyone, but if you really take the time to try to grasp the concept and not so much the examples, you will be able to make those connections. So when people write reviews and say "this book didn't help me but maybe it will help someone else", those people should read the book a second time because maybe those childhood things that affect our adulthood are not so apparent, but are still there none-the-less!! In my own life, these things mentioned did not apply to me at all...not one of them, but some of them did apply to my parents (ex. a parent dying young and child having to step up) and it is those things that have indirectly bled down in to my own life. So the examples were obvious in my own parents lives, but not in my own. I really had to think on it a while, but I did find it. So if you think the book doesn't apply to you directly, read it again and open your mind to the examples and not the scenerios!!!! Once you see it, your life will change forever!!! I left a very bad 10 year relationship and it took me all of 2 months to get it together and do it. That was 6 months ago and still strong!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Every woman should read this powerful book!, Dec 7 1998
I had been living in despair after I had broken up with my ex six months ago. Having suffered from serious depression and frustration, i luckily found this book in a local bookshop. I was so shocked as soon as i turned to read the Preface on which the author says "When being in love means being in pain we are loving too much"! Hey! this was exactly what i had been feeling about my love life! Quickly, i spent a week to finish this book and found that WOMEN WHO LOVE TOO MUCH is definitely the most powerful and wonderful book (not merely a self-help book!) i have ever read! Surprisingly insightful, powerfully written with style, i suggest every woman in the world, esp those who love too much like myself, should read it at least once in their life time, so that they can build up themselves and enjoy a healthier relationship with their partners and, most importantly, with themselves!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I ever read, Oct. 30 2003
This book has had the MOST impact on my life of any one book I've ever read. Period. A MUST read for ANYONE who is unsatisfied with the relationships in their life.. be it family, lovers, friends. Do you always feel like you get the short end of the stick? Always dissatisfied? Always walked over? This book is a total MUST read. If I had more than two thumbs to put up, or 5 stars, it would get them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book Ever, Aug. 7 2014
Fabulous book , very informative. Educational , fantastic examples. I leaned a lot. I read the book in 2 weeks. I would read it over and over as a reference. She gave every type of woman who would possibly love a man too much, and needless to say I was in quite a few examples and case histories. The case histories and how they got that way was eye opening, how our childhoods had so much to do with how we are today, and why we are the way we are today..

The fact that we have addictions ourselves to food, drink or drugs because of childhood is amazing. We look for what is familiar. It is such a good read you can't put it down. I wanted to learn more and more, and get better. Then it offers you a solution and explains how to do it. Yes it is a fabulous book I can't say enough, I thought it would be dry because my sister refered it to me, I was quitting an abusive relationship and having a really hard time, I was so obsessed with him and she said get the book it will help . I thought , oh right. But its been 3 weeks and I have not called him or emailed him.

I challenge you to purchase it, it will make you feel better, if it could help me, .......and I was as low as you could get.......he was screaming at me and swearing at me in public restaurants and I would just sit there and take it for $400 a month. Can't get any lower than that. Do it, you will only end up smiling. I promise, because I thought there was no hope for me, and I can actually smile now, really can smile. I hope the best for everyone who reads the book, and good luck. love Sharon.

5.0 out of 5 stars So close to home it was painful (but necessary), June 30 2002
By A Customer
I first read this book years ago after a painful divorce. Fast forward 8 years, and here I am in the same situation yet again with a different man. When I first read this book, I did not take the information in it to heart, probably because it struck too close to home for me so I denied the truth in it. This time, with two children to raise, my recovery is absolutely essential, so I forced myself to read it and remember and deal with it. This book is absolutely on target for any woman who endured a painful, demoralizing childhood. Robin Norwood explains exactly why it affects us into adulthood (and for us it's much different than for men -- she explains this, too), why we keep choosing painful, debilitating relationships and why we can't walk away from them even when the pain is literally destroying us. I highlighted so much of this book to re-read and study later that my highlighting pen almost gave out. The book explains how we actually get addicted to pain and chaos, and why we choose the types of men we do, and why we're terrified to lose even a disastrous relationship. It also looks at how we hide the truth from ourselves and why. If you fit the description of a woman whose childhood was shredded by the pain of a highly dysfunctional family, and now you keep landing in one unhealthy relationship after another with men, this book will definitely help you, but you also must find a good therapist. You WILL heal in time, but you have to step out into the unknown and stick with it. As Robin Norwood so beautifully points out, with this type of love addiction,your future is sure to be painful no matter what. But it can either be the temporary pain associated with dealing with your problems and your subsequent recovery, or it can be the same kind of pain you've got now, magnified over years and years. Identifying your problem is the first step in solving it. This book will help you do that.

4.0 out of 5 stars A revealing examination of a disturbing relational pattern, July 15 2001
By A Customer
"Women Who Love Too Much" is a revealing examination of dysfunctional behavior performed in the name of so-called "love."
According to Norwood, "women who love too much" are characterized by low self-esteem, a need to be needed, a strong urge to change and control others, and a willingness to suffer. They respond not to being loved, but to being needed. Such women tend to be the product of emotionally unavailable parents and continue the pattern by forming relationships with emotionally unavailable, distant men. Norwood examines this behavior repeatedly, not only through portraits of women who fit these characteristics, but interestingly, through honest portraits of men who have been partners in such relationships.
Norwood's recommendations for countering this behavior include seeking help, making your own recovery the first priority in your life, finding a support group of peers who understand, developing a spiritual side through daily practice, stopping the practice of managing and controlling others, learning not to get hooked into games, courageously facing your own problems and shortcomings, cultivating whatever needs to be developed in yourself, learning how to become self-honoring, and sharing with others what you have learned. Overall, the focus is on self-development rather than seeking a solution in someone else who will love you as you think you want to be loved.

3.0 out of 5 stars INSIGHTFUL INFORMATION IF YOU HAVE THE PATIENCE TO FIND IT., July 12 2001
Ms. Norwood's book does indeed have useful information, exercises and case scenarios for women in relationship crises (readers will probably relate better to the histories, even if they are fabricated) with self-absorbed, distant, emotional vampires and how to find the self-love and healing required to get rid of them: the problem is in getting past the dry, overly-worded, rambling text to glean out the lessons. Although I learned a lot and consider the book valuable, women who don't have a lot of free time or a long attention span will probably get too impatient to benefit from it and quit. For those who don't mind the excessive verbalizing, this is a good tool to re-vamp your life as you relate to your partner(s) and can help future relationships, but for those of us with jobs/kids/lives, please read "Men Who Hate Women" by Dr. Susan Forward, who is more succinct and includes truthful case scenarios with women and men that can lead to insight and ultimately, healing (hint: in future reprintings, could this get EDITED any better to help the next generation? Thanks!!).

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift of pages!!!!, April 14 2001
Bradley G Kadish (Johannesburg,South Africa) - See all my reviews
I am a 29 year old gay male.You may think to yourself "How can this book be of any help and use to him?" "Women Who Love Too Much" has been a life-saver for me,having recently come out of an unhealthy relationship.
I am unashamed to say that i was the more "unhealthy person" in that relationship but at the same time,the book gave me tremendous insight as to how unhealthy my partner was.
My therapist suggested that i read the book,explaining that the dynamics of relationship are much the same,whether they be homosexual or heterosexual.Please don`t ignore what i have said in this review because my lifestyle is alternative.
You who are reading this review,may know somebody close to you who is lesbian or gay.Do they "love too much",are they in an unhealthy relationship,are they in desperate need of help?Whatever their situation may be and most likely it is an unpleasant one,"Women Who Love Too Much" is a definite beginning to heal the pain.
I will forever be grateful for having read this book and with no doubt,will keep on reading it.The knowledge,understanding and insecurities i have gained about myself is the knowledge that will steer me in the direction of a truthful,happy and healthy relationship.
Thank you Robin Norwood,where-ever you may be in this world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed My Life, Feb. 22 2001
As with many of the reviews I've read, this book changed my life as well. I kept choosing the same type of relationship over and over again, and didn't realize what I was doing. When I read this book I finally understood how I choose the people in my life, and it opened my eyes to an entirely new way of relating to myself and to others.
I was amazed at how my mind continued to recreate my childhood in order to 'fix' it, when that is not the healthy way to fix things. This started me on me on the road to recovering from codependency, and I realized that my happiness was in my own hands. I believe it's in her preface where she says "If being in love means being in pain, you are loving too much." That was my history, and it spurred me to read the rest of the book. I can spot these traits in other people so well now it's amazing. We chose our friends. We create our lives. And my happiness is dependent on no one but myself. No longer will I continue to blame my parnter for my unhappiness. Though I spent a great deal of time letting this concept sink in, now it is a part of my belief system, and I a grateful for it.
Excellent book, I cannot thank Robin Norwood enough, for I feel like she saved my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a must . . ., Aug. 24 2000
... for women who can't understand how & why they keep getting stuck in relationships where they are taken for granted or abused. I was given a copy of this book in 1993 by the bank officer who helped me open my bank account when my marriage was falling apart and this book changed my life!
It had such an impact on me that ever since, as soon as I realize that any of my female associates & friends are in these types of destructive relationships, this is the book I buy for them. I've probably bought this book 20 times in the last 7 years . . . I gave up on lending it out, and just buy my friends a copy, because I never get mine back!
To Robin Norwood, thank you for putting into words what I needed to hear & opening my eyes 7 years ago. My life has totally changed for the better & I am now in a wonderful relationship. (Ladies, there are good ones out there! Don't settle for less!) There have been bumps along the way, but I will always have my trusty well-worn copy of the book to remind me that *I* can change this pattern forever!

Women Who Love Too Much
Women Who Love Too Much by Robin Norwood (Paperback - April 8 2008)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43