5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY UNFORGETTABLE!!
I have read literally thousands of books during my lifetime; some forgotten as soon as the pages have been read. However, "The Forgotten Garden" will remain with me for the rest of my days. In 1913, a young girl is abandoned on a ship from England to Austraila, and what follows through the pages is a journey back and forth through time in search of her true identity...
Published on April 26 2009 by The Mad Hatter

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many side-stories, not enough real plot
Published 23 months ago by Neko

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY UNFORGETTABLE!!, April 26 2009
The Mad Hatter "Seagull Books" (Prince Edward Island, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Forgotten Garden (Paperback)

The author, Kate Morton weaves a story so profound and magical, the reader will be be captivated by its intrigue from beginning to end. The story holds mystique, fantasy, realism and leaves the reader never wanting the story to end. The characters and plot are stong and well developed, grabbing the reader with such intensity one feels a part of the journey. It is a lengthy book, but one filled with every emotion possible, sadness, joy, antiipation, revenge, jealousy, longing and love.

This is truly an enchanting book, an absolute masterpiece and one you will definitely not want to miss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, Jan. 9 2010
Emily Mackinnon (Halifax, NS, Canada) - See all my reviews
The Forgotten Garden is one of those rare, absolutely page-turning books. I read it a few months ago on a trip to South Africa, but the plot and characters are still very much alive in my head. This book has everything: history, mystery, loss and love. (That sounded like a poem!) Kate Mosse writes fluidly and the story line just flows so that you don't even realize you're turning pages and have been sitting in the same exact spot for the past four hours. Only a select few books take me to that place, and The Forgotten Garden was one of them. An excellent read!

4.0 out of 5 stars "The past is laid over the future and the future is laid over the past.", May 18 2009
Walter Hypes - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Kate Morton's multi-general genealogical saga is as complex as the over-grown and secluded garden which forms the story's title. Laden with memory and with the dark secrets of the grand aristocratic Cornwall estate, Blackhurst Manor, this novel takes the reader on a colorful journey into an Edwardian England of envy, abandonment and betrayal. In 2005 in Brisbane Cassandra maintains a silent vigil over her grandmother Nell Andrews. Towards the end of her life she peaks about a woman, a lady whom she calls the Authoress. She seemed to think they were on some kind of boat. When Nell finally passes, Cassandra discovers she's gifted her the deeds to an isolated Cornish cottage complete with a hidden walled garden, the back completely covered with brambles.

Traveling to London and then into the village of Tregenna which lies on the outskirts of Blackhurst Manor, Cassandra is overwhelmed by the circumstances of her visit, and that of the dark mystery surrounding Nell's past and why, in 1913, she was left abandoned on a sailing ship bound for Australia with a funny looking case with white leather and with silver buckles. Only a book of children's fairy tales published in London in 1913 remains inside. Secrets have a way of making themselves known, and both the garden and Cliff Cottage have a formidable reputation according to the inhabitants of the local village Tregenna.

Soon enough Nell's family, her blood and her past, and these secrets steadily materialize in the wake of Cassandra's investigations, all knitting together: Nell's unknown parentage, her arrival as a child at an ocean port, the suitcase, her mysterious trip to England the early 70's and of course the secret house. Morton steadily weaves the complicated narratives of Cassandra and Nell into that of the life of the Authoress, Eliza Makepeace, her delicate fairy tales anchoring the long forgotten memories and the threads that tie the Authoress of Nell's memory, the name of the Mountrachet family, particularly Rose Mountrachet and her marriage to the handsome artist Nathaniel Walker.

This novel constantly tosses up flecks of the past, offering a maze of unanswered questions. Yet the issue remains of what happened to Eliza who was last seen in London in late 1913, with a small girl Ivory Walter, perhaps Rose's daughter. Revenge and animosity play out in this Dickensian drama. The gorgeous Cornish countryside is eventually shattered by a shocking act of betrayal, Eliza finding herself envious of the glamorous American man who causes her cousin's affections to shift so readily and who steals her dearest friend in the blink of an eyelid. And then there's the fiercely manipulative Adeline lady Mountrachet, who runs a tight ship at Blackhurst and fears Eliza the interloper, the cuckoo who was sent back to Blackhurst by her husband Linus to supplant Rose and to push her from the nest that Adeline had fought to make her own.

With characters who are both compassionate and also cruel, the pitiless manipulations of those at Blackhurst Manor give much of this novel its dramatic heft. Packed with genealogical indexes and hidden scrapbooks, and fairy tale stories, the fear, uncertainty and the excitement of Eliza and Nell - and Cassandra's life gradually unfolds. Meanwhile, the weeds of brambles of the forgotten garden shape the narrative, the hole, very small, at the bottom of the wall, concealing a dark secret. As the jagged memories appear to Cassandra, it is finally revealed that it is Nell who'd spent enough of her life waylaid by regret, drowning in untruths and uncertainty in this painful allegory of love, family secrets, and mistaken identity. Mike Leonard May 09.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book!, Sept. 3 2012
This review is from: The Forgotten Garden (Paperback)
A real page turner. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this book as I don't usually get into historical type stories. Highly recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many side-stories, not enough real plot, Aug. 5 2012
Neko (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Forgotten Garden (Paperback)
This is a very well written novel but, for me, it was simply too long, too "emotional" and lacking in real focus. The storyline includes life events from numerous generations, with the occasional fairy tale thrown in for good measure. However, it doesn't really get going until near the end, which is possibly leaving it a bit late. Probably a good read if feelings and relationships appeal to you more than a well-pace plot but it didn't enthrall me personally.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best I ever read, May 23 2009
This book is very rich, it is full of everything, surprise, emotions, suspense,
love. The first chapter took me a little while to get into, just because I was confused
with relations of the characters abit. But once I understand what's going on, I couldn't put the book down.

One of those book would like to read again. Thanks Kate Morton for such a great book,
I looking forward for more.

4.0 out of 5 stars the Forgotten Garden, Oct. 17 2012
This review is from: The Forgotten Garden (Paperback)
Kate Morton does it again - keeps me up half the night and makes me take a day off work to read. Anything Ms. Morton writes is brilliant. I found this story particularly well done with four different points of view all woven together and coming to a very satisfying ending. Reminiscent of Dickens as well as Binchy, I was completely taken over by her prose and story telling. Unforgettable villains kept me rooting for our protagonists at every turn. The settings, the characters, the dialogue are all top notch. Wonderful story and I look forward to many more from Kate Morton who has turned into one of my favourite 'new' authors. RIP - Maeve Binchy - your legacy is in good hands.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pulled me in towards the end., July 3 2012
This review is from: The Forgotten Garden (Paperback)
I would describe The forgotten garden as a historical adventurous thriller. This book follows three women. In three different time periods. It is about a young girl who is found alone after travelling over seas on a ship. A man and his wife "adopt" her. When she is old enough he tells her the truth. She sets out to discover who she is with nothing more to go on then the suitcase she arrived with as a child. The other women in the story are connected to her in someway, including her granddaughter, who also sets out to discover her grandmother's past.

Although it took me awhile to finish this book, I did enjoy it. It wasn't until near the end that I was really hooked. Everyone I know who has read this book said amazing things about it. Someone in line at Starbucks even told me how much she loved it. And although it moved slow at first, the mystery of it and the strong female characters (Eliza is my favorite. She is so mysterious and adventurous) had me hooked. Another plus about this book is the setting. I almost felt I was there. with the wind on my face and the smells and sounds of the ocean. I can feel myself living in the forgotten garden and little cottage. More so then then any book I have read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, July 1 2012
This review is from: The Forgotten Garden (Paperback)
We picked this as our second "Book Club" book. I really enjoyed the book. The story jumps between generations which is a bit confusing but I found once I got into it was easier to follow. As the story unfolds and the characters develop you want to read further to get your questions answered. Don't peek ahead, it's worth the wait. A great read I'll be looking for other titles by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton, May 17 2012
This review is from: The Forgotten Garden (Paperback)
If they offered ten stars to rate a book it still wouldn't be enough to cover The Forgotten Garden! After years and years of having my personal favorite authors, I added this thick book to an order merely to finish it out... kept it for months and months on my shelves until one period I actually read it. It has knocked all my favorite authors right out of the running and Kate Morton is my new favorite. I now own all three of her books after never having heard of her before. I passed it around to friends and family and they all have had the same reaction to the Forgotten Garden.

She has written a book that could have been written 100 years ago and still contains the modernity readers may be looking for. I laughed and cried, was constantly intrigued, and I also learned a few things I had never known.

When I discovered this book had something to do with a cottage on a cliff overlooking the ocean, on an estate in England, I couldn't wait to go there! Through the entire tale that scanned many lives and secrets, from Australia to England, involving children abandoned, searching for clues as to why over many generations, the story cumulated into a long satisfying read.

And as I said... one that has ruined me for other authors! Kate Morton has a very real knack for weaving a tale.

Buy all three and you will see what I mean.

The Forgotten Garden
The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (Paperback - Feb. 16 2010)
CDN$ 18.99 CDN$ 9.49