5.0 out of 5 stars The Dirty Life, Jan. 21 2012
This review is from: The Dirty Life: A Memoir of Farming, Food, and Love (Paperback)
I wanted to read a book which didn't sugar coat farm life like many do. Kristin Kimball's experiences which she writes about are real and wrote as such. There is no glorification of moving to a farm or building one from the ground up. I love her reflection on what happened to her and her husband through the trying times as well as the prosperous ones. A must read for anyone thinking of venturing out into the unknown of farm life. I actually bought three extra copies for friends who I knew would love her book as much as I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I'd hoped for., Dec 20 2011
P (Saskatchewan, CAN) - See all my reviews
When I stumbled upon this book, I was in the midst of doing research on CSAs and other forms of small scale agriculture. I bought the book because I wanted to read something that provided (in detail) what it is like to work on a farm like the ones I was reading about. I was not disappointed! Not only was it incredibly descriptive, but it was very enjoyable to read. I laughed out loud several times, and also started salivating when Kimball talks about the fresh farm food that they harvest, cook, and eat.

I would recommend this book to anyone who has even the slightest interest in farms or local agriculture. It is a fantastic read!

5.0 out of 5 stars An engrossing read!, Feb. 22 2013
It is so wonderful to take a break from instructional type books and read a story of a family who suceeded in starting a fantastic farm and living off the land. I couldn't put down The Dirty Life! Kristin Kimball left the city to follow the man of her dreams and help him fulfill his dream. Soon, of course, the country living gets into her blood and can't be kicked! Her and her husband decide to start a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture program) in which they will provide everything needed to feed the families who join their program. Generally, CSA farmers stick with veggies and fruits, but Kristin and Mark go all in, providing meat and diary products as well.

There is absolutely nothing I didn't love in The Dirty Life! Books like this give me much more enthusiasm for a life on the land. No, it's not easy (as very evident in this book!), but it is a life that is satisfying, good, and full of joy. Kristin's writing is engrossing, funny, and thorough, AND she throws a great love story in there too! Farming, dirt, and love... what more could you ask for?

I finished this a couple weeks ago, but now I think I'll reread it after writing this review! Ah! It's so good!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Dirty Life, Nov. 21 2013
I have always lived in the country and it was enlightening to see farming from a different point of view. On a farm you just do what needs to be done. There is no produce that tastes as good as from your own farm.

The Dirty Life: A Memoir of Farming, Food, and Love
The Dirty Life: A Memoir of Farming, Food, and Love by Kristin Kimball (Paperback - April 12 2011)
CDN$ 18.99 CDN$ 13.71