march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 27, 2015
I am loving the series and am going back to read them in sequence along with resource material that gives me the historical information I need to place this in its context. I love reading from a woman's prespective.
on October 2, 2015
Historically accurate and easy to read. Love it.
on August 17, 2014
Philippa Gregory's grasp of historic detail blends with her imaginative recreation of the main character, the Red Queen, Margaret in this unsentimental look at how this Queen rose to some power, schemed for ever more power and eventually...This Margaret believes she is beloved of God and if so, that's a good thing since she has no ability at all at loving those around her nor at being someone they want to love. When she finally wrestles with the notion that as a woman she will never hold the power she longs for, she places without pause the same halo of expectation and Divine Ordination on her only child, a boy.
This book is a study in character and in character development. I found myself disliking Margaret intensely and enjoying the read more for it.
on April 25, 2014
I read the first book called The White Queen and this one ties nicely into it as well. I can't wait to read the next book The Lady of the Rivers.
on April 10, 2014
I really enjoyed this book and the connection the historical facts. Philippa Gregory is very good with her work and keeps you turning the pages.
on August 14, 2013
Excellent book. Hard to put down. Factual re Tudor History and makes you feel you are back in that time in history.
on May 23, 2012
Margaret is a cold, calulating person, focused on securing the throne for her only son. While passionate in her devotion to God, she also is a most devious and brutal woman. Her personality was interesting, the storyline was somewhat repetitive, as it's just the opposing viewpoint of The White Queen. Also in this one the battles are more detailed and never seem to let up, which gets a bit monotonous. And there is certainly no 'romantic' theme in this (unlike the passionate Elizabeth of York). A good read though, and look forward to the continuation of Henry & Elizabeth's marriage and reign.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 6, 2011
I enjoyed this book but while reading it so many times what ran through my mind was how many wars have been fought in the name of God. It seems Margaret Beaufort seemed to have a very chatty relationship with God with an attitude if I stay on my knees long enough God will tell me what to do even if it consists of treachery, treason, and even murder. Hmmm....not the God I know. Just shows how confused people of that age were. Anyway re the book. I did not like Margaret Beaufort but I don't think Phillipa Gregory wanted us to. As a young girl she was treated terrible but even then she had grandiose ideas of being some incredible servant of God along the lines of Joan of Arc. I preferred the White Queen but I think that is because I liked the Elizabeth W and that was truly a love story.I could hardly believe Margaret's involvement and actual instigation of the murder of the Princes in the Tower. I don't think this is factual as no one knows for sure who murdered those boys, it could have been Richard. But there certainly is enough circumstantial evidence to assume Margaret played a role. I agree with the other reviewer that I enjoyed that last three chapters the best. Parts of the book were a bit tedious but still it all weaved an incredible story that changed history. I thought the characters were well described and believable. I too would have liked to have learned more of when Henry Tudor became king but maybe I need to hit the history books for that, or wait for Philippa Gregory to tell us. Bottom line? I liked this book and would recommend it.
on September 20, 2011
I really enjoyed the red queen and the white queen. Was great to see the same story from both sides of the coin. Books are well written and draw you in. If you enjoy English history with a twist you will enjoy this.
on May 15, 2011
After finishing "The White Queen", I read "The Red Queen" in 4 nights. I Love these books. I am an Historical Fiction nut, and these books are soooo intriguing! Definitely read "The White Queen" first.