5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible
I would recommend this as a first cookbook for someone who is interested in the how and why of cooking. I would also recommend it for a confirmed cookbook Junkie (I own well over one hundred cookbooks and couldn't wait to get my hands on this one).

Published on April 22 2009 by Robert Pattison

3.0 out of 5 stars a litle disappointing
Great info - lackluster packaging - I bought 6 for Xmas gifts and would have been better off buying the laminated chart. Book is very tiny and fine print - great for those with eagle eye vision
Published 21 months ago by Meanjean

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible, April 22 2009
Robert Pattison (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews

Ratio is perhaps the best combination of pure and applied cookery science that I have ever read - not as cutesy as Alton Brown, more practical than Harold McGee. Be warned, however - no glossy photos of food.

Readable, but set up for quick reference - this is a new book, but I think that in five years you will be able to tell whether someone is, or aspires to be, a serious cook (or baker, for that matter) by whether they have a stained copy of this book in their kitchen.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Free yourself from cook books and get creative !, Nov. 30 2010
Mylène Bergeron Francoeur "Mongol Chef" (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Michael Ruhlman will tell you all you need to know about cooking. Therefore, he will discuss ratios with you.

This is no fancy book. There are no spiffy looking pictures along the way. This is basics at their best. Everything is brought to their smallest common denominator.

In part one, he'll show you the many doughs and batters one might want to use while cooking. This is the largest section. Part two consists of stocks and how to deal with them properly. Part three is the meat. Part four shows you the fat-based sauces (very interresting) and we end up with the custard, and it's different states.

Everything is very straight forward. Mr Ruhlman DOES encourage you to be creative, but AFTER you've learned the base. For quick reference, all the ratios are conveniently presented on one of the first few pages. Every ratio, once explained, is followed by a basic recipe. Then, creativity ensues: following recipes are variations on the freshly explained ratio.

Don't be fooled by the small volume of the book: the absence of lavish pictures made it easy for the author to cram in LOTS of information, tips, variations and recipes. You won't, at first, rely on this book instinctivly. But I assure you, leave it where you can see it, sometimes flip a few pages, it's going to grow on you.

I'm very happy with this book, the price was awesome (for a hardcover !), the knowledge is simply unbeatable, yet simple and straight to the point. A MUST get for everyone !

On my end, I'm looking forward to creating my own recipes with the help of this book, especially concerning cakes and other leavened items. Also, it helps a great deal when you want to scale up or down a recipe.

5.0 out of 5 stars making sense of baking, Dec 26 2009
I am a culinary arts teacher in a high school and I also run a Skills Baking Club through Skills Canada. This book has enabled me to explain to students why baking works the way it does. As students all work on an individual programs basis, they also frequently have to reduce recipes. All they have to do is memorise the ratios and sequences for different products and then they can start to get creative. For myself, I like the stress on measuring by weight, this eliminates the need for measuring cups.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, May 17 2014
This review is from: Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking (Paperback)
I found the ratios well though out and easy to understand. I would recommend this book to any one who likes to cook.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, Jan. 18 2014
This is simply my favourite cook book. It does not give straight up recipes but instead assumes you have a base in the kitchen and your own palate. This book can guide you through the ratio of a recipe and also tells you how to make it your own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book full of information you think you already know..........., Jan. 14 2014
Actually its a gift to my son as he loves cooking. I was told by my son that there are lots of interesting info. I would certainly recommend to anyone who likes cooking or baking.

5.0 out of 5 stars best book I ever bought, Nov. 15 2013
If you are serious about cooking you should not miss this book. The best reference book ever and easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, Aug. 2 2013
This book is fantastic! An absolute must-have for every aspiring chef or home cook! Once you understand ratios you are equipped for anything! I plan to give this as a gift to others!

5.0 out of 5 stars Comment, April 14 2013
This book is excellent! After mastering recipes, this is the next step. It is a compact but very useful reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy to have..., April 13 2013
This book is very handy to have! It gives you basic cooking principles for almost any recipe ratio you would need. There are no pictures, but I don't think a book like this needs any.

Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking
Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking by Michael Ruhlman (Paperback - Sept. 7 2010)
CDN$ 18.99 CDN$ 13.71