5.0 out of 5 stars Free yourself from cook books and get creative !
Michael Ruhlman will tell you all you need to know about cooking. Therefore, he will discuss ratios with you.

This is no fancy book. There are no spiffy looking pictures along the way. This is basics at their best. Everything is brought to their smallest common denominator.

Published on Nov. 30 2010 by Mylène Bergeron Francoeur

3.0 out of 5 stars a litle disappointing
Great info - lackluster packaging - I bought 6 for Xmas gifts and would have been better off buying the laminated chart. Book is very tiny and fine print - great for those with eagle eye vision
Published 23 months ago by Meanjean

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Free yourself from cook books and get creative !, Nov. 30 2010
Mylène Bergeron Francoeur "Mongol Chef" (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

In part one, he'll show you the many doughs and batters one might want to use while cooking. This is the largest section. Part two consists of stocks and how to deal with them properly. Part three is the meat. Part four shows you the fat-based sauces (very interresting) and we end up with the custard, and it's different states.

Everything is very straight forward. Mr Ruhlman DOES encourage you to be creative, but AFTER you've learned the base. For quick reference, all the ratios are conveniently presented on one of the first few pages. Every ratio, once explained, is followed by a basic recipe. Then, creativity ensues: following recipes are variations on the freshly explained ratio.

Don't be fooled by the small volume of the book: the absence of lavish pictures made it easy for the author to cram in LOTS of information, tips, variations and recipes. You won't, at first, rely on this book instinctivly. But I assure you, leave it where you can see it, sometimes flip a few pages, it's going to grow on you.

I'm very happy with this book, the price was awesome (for a hardcover !), the knowledge is simply unbeatable, yet simple and straight to the point. A MUST get for everyone !

On my end, I'm looking forward to creating my own recipes with the help of this book, especially concerning cakes and other leavened items. Also, it helps a great deal when you want to scale up or down a recipe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible, April 22 2009
Robert Pattison (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
I would recommend this as a first cookbook for someone who is interested in the how and why of cooking. I would also recommend it for a confirmed cookbook Junkie (I own well over one hundred cookbooks and couldn't wait to get my hands on this one).

Ratio is perhaps the best combination of pure and applied cookery science that I have ever read - not as cutesy as Alton Brown, more practical than Harold McGee. Be warned, however - no glossy photos of food.

Readable, but set up for quick reference - this is a new book, but I think that in five years you will be able to tell whether someone is, or aspires to be, a serious cook (or baker, for that matter) by whether they have a stained copy of this book in their kitchen.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars making sense of baking, Dec 26 2009
I am a culinary arts teacher in a high school and I also run a Skills Baking Club through Skills Canada. This book has enabled me to explain to students why baking works the way it does. As students all work on an individual programs basis, they also frequently have to reduce recipes. All they have to do is memorise the ratios and sequences for different products and then they can start to get creative. For myself, I like the stress on measuring by weight, this eliminates the need for measuring cups.

5.0 out of 5 stars What your mother never told you, Nov. 15 2010
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Strangely enough I took a course in cooking in Jr. High and have a book case if various related books from the beginning of writing to today, yet none of the books and literature does have a ratio approach.

This animal is an eye opener. I finally feel that I have a handle on the art. I tried a few simple things but working my way up.

I bought this book before the Kindle. So I will also go back and get the Kindle text-to speak version and re-read the book to see if I missed anything important.

Only a few black and white pictures. But formulas do not require pictures. People may have an issue with what the book is not. However no book can be an end all be all. With the basic understanding from the sample is the book it is potable to extrapolate and expand the theory to just about anything you put in your mouth.

4.0 out of 5 stars a good reminder of basics, July 31 2009
D. Gray (British Columbia) - See all my reviews
This is a good reminder of basic cooking principles for experienced cooks, and a wonderful place to start for those wanting to expand on basic cooking skills

5.0 out of 5 stars I really like this cookbook, Oct. 28 2014
This review is from: Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking (Paperback)
I really like this cookbook. The approach is different than anything else I have seen.
If you are looking for a collection of magasine recipes this isn't it.
If you want to know what you are doing with food this is a good start.
Understand this simple little book and you will be able to make a meal out of almost anything.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, May 17 2014
I found the ratios well though out and easy to understand. I would recommend this book to any one who likes to cook.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, Jan. 18 2014
This is simply my favourite cook book. It does not give straight up recipes but instead assumes you have a base in the kitchen and your own palate. This book can guide you through the ratio of a recipe and also tells you how to make it your own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book full of information you think you already know..........., Jan. 14 2014
Actually its a gift to my son as he loves cooking. I was told by my son that there are lots of interesting info. I would certainly recommend to anyone who likes cooking or baking.

5.0 out of 5 stars best book I ever bought, Nov. 15 2013
If you are serious about cooking you should not miss this book. The best reference book ever and easy to use.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking
Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking by Michael Ruhlman (Paperback - Sept. 7 2010)
CDN$ 18.99 CDN$ 13.71