summer boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyout Home All-New Kindle sports Tools

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on August 18, 2011
I found this similar to "The Glass Castle" in that I was looking forward to it ending. For example, The Glass Castle highlighted poverty and struggles over and over and over, to the point where I said "enough already - I get it!!!"

Same with "Half Broke Horses". Lily faces constant adversity (floods, money, broken down cars, dead dad, etc) and in most cases saves the day with some kind of 'wonder-woman' flair ... over and over and over (etc). Again, enough already!!

I had two basic problems with this book:
1) The writing style was simply a chronological series of events - narrative style, without any real character development - Jim, Buster, and even Rosemary to a large extent seemed little more than anecdotal distractions for Lily. For example, I got to the point where if Lily had said "...when I told Jim about it" one more time, the book would have been thrown in the garbage.

2) I got so that I really disliked Lily, mostly because she seemed to be a bad mother. Her incentive to marry a person she admitted didn't really attract her and have children came as a reaction to Helen's tragedy as opposed to maternal instincts, and what was portrayed as 'no-nonsense' approach to rearing kids (e.g. beating Rosemary for going swimming) seemed more like just plain bad parenting to me.