5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, excellent, excellent
I love these characters and their pursuit of justice. Believable story line. I could not put it down. Keep on writing
Published 1 month ago by cathy

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like it
Published 10 months ago by Alison

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, excellent, excellent, July 5 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars gREAT mYSTERY SET IN TORONTO, Oct. 21 2013
This review is from: The Guilty Plea (Kindle Edition)
rOBERT ROTENBERG NOVELS ARE EXCEPTIONALLY WELL WRITTEN AND AUTHENTIC ABOUT TORONTO SITES. I ESPECIALLY ENJOY THE COURT CASE AND THE LAWYERS' TECHNIQUES.

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like it, Sept. 28 2013
Alison (Bath, Maine, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Guilty Plea (Kindle Edition)
Because I love Toronto, and expected to enjoy the setting, I expected to love this. But for whatever reason, the characters didn't draw me in. There is lots of lovely detail about the Canadian judicial system and Toronto architecture. But somehow, I just dragged myself through it. I didn't care very much about the characters. It was adequate for my tastes. That's all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast Paced Twists And Turns - LOVED IT!, July 2 2013
Jhuzen Ketsugo "Ketsy Baby" (Toronto, On CANADA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Guilty Plea (Paperback)
To be truly honest, I had never read a "Crime Thriller" before The Guilty Plea by Toronto Lawyer Robert Rotenberg. I had never really thought I would be intrigued by this type of fiction, and I am glad to know I was very wrong in this case.

The Guilty Plea is set in my home-town of Toronto, Ontario -- the landmarks, legal jargon, and the system is familiar to me -- and I really enjoyed the bits of 'inside' jokes and reminders about how wonderful my City, my Province, and my Country really is. I loved the characters in this novel, particularly that of Lead Detective Ari Greene.

This is a story about a murder, one that seems so straightforward from the out-set, yet takes a dozen twists and turns as you find yourself drawn into the details. A high-profile divorce, nasty e-mails, and the soon to be divorced husband found dead in his home while his wife turns up with the murder weapon at her lawyers on the morning of the divorce proceedings. Seems rather open and shut, but it is exactly the opposite.

I loved the behind the scenes look at what lawyers go through, along with their families, when they are involved in a high stakes trial. Toronto Lawyer Robert Rotenberg gives us all the details, the good, bad, and ugly - and reminds us that sometimes there are no winners or losers when it comes to crimes of passion. Families are destroyed, no one is left unscathed.

Bottom Line: This novel is fast paced and full of the twists and turns that will keep the reader locked in tight for a wonderful ride. Well written, edited to perfection, and full of personality - This is a novel that will thrill fans of the genre and those who are just looking to dip their toes in a little summer crime thriller. And yes, I am still waiting for the Toronto Maple Leafs to win the Stanley Cup too Mr. Rotenberg, I Beleaf!

**This review is based on an ARC provided by Goodreads, First Reads giveaways. The opinions expressed are my own, and have been in no way influenced by Goodreads, The Author, or the Publisher.**

5.0 out of 5 stars A Canadian John Grisham, April 1 2013
This review is from: The Guilty Plea (Kindle Edition)
Very interesting, convoluted plot.
Nice to see a coninuation of the characters throughout the three novels I have read from this author

5.0 out of 5 stars follow-up to Old City Hall was great., Jan. 21 2013
This review is from: The Guilty Plea (Paperback)
wonderful follow-up on the very relatable characters developed in his first novel. another interesting homicide to solve and written in a "Canadian" way. Hope there are more to come!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Guilty Plea - a novel, Dec 8 2012
This review is from: The Guilty Plea (Paperback)
A highly entertaining legal who-done-it thriller, The Guilty Plea was a really good introduction to Rotenberg's novels. I enjoyed the references to familiar places in Toronto (Rogers Centre, Bayview area, cemetery, etc.). Rotenberg is a sound writer and it shows he knows what he's writing about. I also liked the fact that I learned something, e.g. differences between the American and Canadian legal system, that was a welcome bonus.

I'm usually not one to get into Canadian literature/films, but have learned to appreciate and enjoy both. I understand that Det. Greene and other characters were introduced in Rotenberg's first novel, "Old City Hall"; I wish I had not given it away.

Why 4 stars and not 5? I felt there were some loose-ends, but perhaps those will be addressed in future novels... and there were early signs about who the killer was, but I still think it is a solid work and look forward to reading other novels by Mr Rotenberg. I highly recommend The Guilty Plea.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great characters that I hope to see in #5, Aug. 2 2014
This review is from: The Guilty Plea (Kindle Edition)
The attitudes,the atmosphere,the jargon is all there. Toronto and Rotenberg on show. Great characters that I hope to see in #5! Enjoyed it immensely

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will keep you up at night!, May 18 2011
This review is from: The Guilty Plea (Paperback)
When a book draws me in from the start, I know it's going to be a good ride. I thoroughly enjoyed The Guilty Plea right through to the finish. Grocery magnate Terry Wyler is found murdered in his upscale home. But his young son Simon, peacefully sleeping upstairs, is untouched. Suspicion quickly falls on Samantha, Wyler's ex-wife, who's engaged in an acidic custody battle with Wyler. Detective Ari Greene steps in and he uses his good judgement to begin prying out the truth. From there, we're introduced to a fascinating cast of characters, deftly drawn by Rotenberg who gives us illuminating glimpses into their lives without ever sacrificing the story. Part legal thriller and part who-done-it, The Guilty Plea took me into the wee hours of the night turning those pages. This is Rotenberg's second novel and just as engrossing as his first. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Terrific Cannot-Put-Down Intelligent Novel, May 15 2011
This review is from: The Guilty Plea (Paperback)
Most courtroom/ murder/ suspense fail to take hold of me. They can be formulaic, ill-informed, or overwrought. Not "The Guilty Plea". Smart, insightful, tight, human. By far this goes to the top of the novel heap. Rotenberg has created characters and a story that grabbed me, would not let go, educated me, and brought me pleasure to inhabit.

The Guilty Plea
The Guilty Plea by Robert Rotenberg (Paperback - May 3 2011)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43