5.0 out of 5 stars Toddler really enjoys this one
Published on Aug. 18 2011 by buyslotsofbooksonline

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute but educational message so so
The book is really cute and my daughter (1.5 year old) likes it but I am a bit picky about messages books are putting across. In this case, the bear wakes up and is really disapointed he missed the party and then he parties with his friends all night and when morning comes they all fall alseep and he can't sleep. Not so sure I like that! I would much prefer a story that...
Published 14 months ago by Stephanie Gross

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Toddler really enjoys this one, Aug. 18 2011
This review is from: Bear Snores On (Board book)
Our 21 month old is really liking this story right now.... the book has a great rhythm to it, the repetition of the title line (The Bear Snores On) makes him laugh and the ending is cute too... it's one of those that's interesting enough that I don't mind reading it over and over myself either. Definitely worth the purchase! Recommended for children 18months to 3/4 years in my opinion... depending on your child's listening ability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!, July 29 2010
This review is from: Bear Snores On (Board book)
This is my & my son's favourite story by this author, it is fun to read anytime of the year. I actually have it memorized we have read it together so many times.

4.0 out of 5 stars Animal insomnia, June 16 2004
E. R. Bird "Ramseelbird" (Manhattan, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bear Snores On (Hardcover)
As I am sure you know, author Karma Wilson began her illustrious picture book writing career with the charming "Bear Snores On". Since this impressive debut, Bear has gone on to appear in further Karma Wilson outings. Yet it all began here, with a tale of hibernation and a friendly hootenanny of wild animals.

A big brown bear, his teapot and other cave utensils strewn hither and yon, is hibernating in the winter. Outside it is blustery and cold but (as we are repeatedly told), "The bear/ snores/ on". One day a timid mouse enters the lair and lights himself a small fire for warmth. No reaction from the snoring bear. Soon a hare joins the mouse and they have a cup of tea. No bearish interruptions. Then there's a badger. Then a mole, and a wren, and a raven, and a gopher. In no time at all a full flown party is in swing, ending when a small fleck of pepper causes the bear to sneeze. Suddenly he's awake and he's angry, but not for the reason you'd think. No, Bear's just upset that everyone had a party without him. But soon, the animals reassure the bear that the party can definitely continue with him, and their host entertains by telling them stories far into the night. By morning everyone is fast asleep. Except (oh irony) the bear.

There's not much to the tale, honestly, but it's not the plot that's important. Ms. Wilson has an ear for delightful cadences and rhyming sequences. Just listen to the following sequence, "An itty-bitty mouse/pitter-pat, tip-toe/creep-crawls in the cave/from the fluff-cold snow". I love how that (and every other) line scans. Accompanying these deft syllables is the art of Jane Chapman. With her guidance, the walls of the cave (illuminated by a crackling fire) glow a homey auburn. Characters are both realistically rendered and adorably fuzzy. I was particularly fond of a scene from out in the blustery snow where, looking into the cave, we see the black silhouettes of the dancing creatures against the yellow glow of the fire. Color and texture are alive and well with this artist, I assure you.

"Bear Snores On" isn't the MOST memorable of picture books, but its pleasant enough. It's perfect for the child that is frightened easily (nothing bad happens, unless you count bear growling at one point) and gentle in its characterizations. All in all, a class act all around. If you need a good bedtime story to tuck the little ones in with, I highly recommend the electric boogaloo that is "Bear Snores On".

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Book, April 20 2004
This review is from: Bear Snores On (Hardcover)
This book has been a favorite in my house from day one. Great text,the phrase Bear Snores On continues throughout the book and each time it gets a little louder and I find that children like to say it with you louder and louder each time until bear finally wakes up from a pepper flake that made him sneeze. (My son's favorite part)The illustations are beautifully done and fit the text perfectly. Definitely one of my best book buys of the year. I Highly recommend Bear Snores On.

5.0 out of 5 stars My childrens' favorite, March 18 2004
This review is from: Bear Snores On (Hardcover)
This is the best book in the world! My kids love the rhyming and enjoy the beautiful artwork. There's so much you can add in sound effects it's great! Highly recommended for a bedtime book, cuddle time read, etc. I also own Bear Wants More, though I don't think it quite has the same charm as this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, Feb. 10 2004
This review is from: Bear Snores On (Hardcover)
We all LOVE this book...My 3 1/2 year old, my 1 year old and myself. The writing style and illustrations are so great, they keep my 1 year old on my lap for the whole story. It has become our most requested bedtime story and is usually read atleast twice. 5 STARS!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Jan. 25 2004
This review is from: Bear Snores On (Hardcover)
I loved this book from the cover. i have a soft spot in my heart for this type of bear,anyway.. I truely believe it is a wonderful book for teaching children about hibernation, the bear, and friendship. I love the art work and the story. I highly reccommend it to any parent as well as preschool or daycare teacher!!!!!!!!!get it at the library. Watch animal planet "growing up Grizzly 1 & 2", and let your children watch ,too.

4.0 out of 5 stars A warm story of friendship, Jan. 22 2004
Cindy (Sacramento, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bear Snores On (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my 3-year old daughter based on the reviews I read on amazon.com. It exceeded my expectations with its easy prose and simply detailed illustrations, but even more with the kind story about friends coming in from the cold to gather. "Bear Snores On" quickly became her bedtime favorite, and I have yet to tire of reading it to her.

5.0 out of 5 stars My all time favorite children's book, Jan. 14 2004
This review is from: Bear Snores On (Hardcover)
Bear Snores On is at the very top of a long list of my favorite children's books. Every time I read it I am reminded why I love it so much. The illustrations are absolutley beautiful. The rhyming text is adorable. The story itself is the cutest. My children, 3 & 1 1/2, love this book. You can't get any better than Bears Snores On. The follow up, Bear Wants More is also very good. You will not be dissapointed with this book, I promise :)

5.0 out of 5 stars so much fun!, Jan. 13 2004
This review is from: Bear Snores On (Hardcover)
I got this book free in a box of Cheerios-what a wonderful find! My son is 15 months old and loves for me to read this book to him. I add sound effects (snoring, grumbling, sneezing, chomping, slurping, whimpering, and whatever else I can incorporate), which he absolutely loves. He ends up laughing out loud every time! The illustrations are also wonderfully vivid and adorable. I highly recommend this book and plan to purchase Karma Wilson's other book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb37b2420)

Bear Snores On
Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson (Board book - Oct. 1 2005)
CDN$ 9.50 CDN$ 9.02