5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Addivtive
When I sat down to write a review of this book, I ran into a problem. First City of Bones was so good I bought and read this book before reviewing it. I am even a third through City of Glass before coming back to review this one. The writing in this series is just so good, I did not even want to stop and write a review but keep reading.

This book continues...
Published on Nov. 2 2010 by Steven R. McEvoy

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than City of Bones
Published on Jan. 25 2011 by AEL

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Addivtive, Nov. 2 2010
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: City of Ashes (Paperback)

This book continues almost immediately after City of Bones, The conflict and tension between Clary and Jace is at a new high. The triangle of Clary, Jace and Simon has new and interesting twists. Alex is accepting his sexuality and though many react negatively to his being homosexual, Clare does a good job of handing the subject matter. The battle between Valentine and the Clave takes a dark and deadly twist. Down Worlder children are being murdered and their blood drained. The Inquisitor has been sent to investigate Jace and his father Valentine. Valentine's quest for the Mortal instruments is intensifying. But questions about who is more unstable arise - The Inquisitor of Valentine?

I can only say this is a great book in an excellent series by and amazing author. I cannot recommend her writing enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Lost for Words, Sept. 17 2010
This review is from: City of Ashes (Paperback)
The hunt continues for Valentine in this, the second installment in the Mortal Instruments series. Clary, Simon, Jace, Isabelle, and Alex are back along with a host of old and new characters.
This installment ups the ante and brings more surprising twists, as well as more questions. This book is definitely action-packed and secondary characters are now brought to the forefront. We also get a more detailed look at the Shadowhunter world.
Clary is still getting used to the idea that she is a Shadowhunter, but she has to learn quickly if she wants to stay alive. Surprise revelations from the last book make this one more interesting in regards to the dynamics of several relationships. It's intriguing to see what is going to happen, and what boundaries have been laid down. What happens when certain boundaries are crossed? Well, you'll just have to read the book to find out. Quips fly when Jace and Simon are together. Their banter is witty and amusing and keeps the story moving when the action is low.
All in all, City of Ashes is an absorbing read. It is full of exhilarating action, and just the right amount of slow scenes to have you wishing for more. This is definitely an excellent follow up to City of Bones.

4.0 out of 5 stars Frosy from Books Like Fairytales >> [...], Jan. 30 2011
This review is from: City of Ashes (Paperback)
In the second book we find Clary and Jace struggling to accept that they brother and sister and nothing more even thought their feelings tell otherwise. If that wasn't enough they have to go through the stares and whispers as now everyone knows that they are Valentine's children.

I loved this book as much as the first one and maybe more. You get to know the characters better and see the powerful but strange relationship Jace and Clary have.
The drama is bigger and the pain and acceptance that Jace and Clary are siblings are enough to handle without the murders. Someone is murdering Downworlders and Simon is acting strange.

Magnus is acting as usual but somehow has focused more on Alec. Isabelle is insane as always and Jace more brooding as it can get.
Valentine is supposed to be the villain but to me he didn't seem like one. His actions seemed to be planted on the go and he lacked motivation. As the bad guy I thought I would see some minions working for him.... where are they when you need them? I can't think of a villain that didn't have or didn't control other people for personal use. But we find out later on why is that (on the 3rd book) so I am not going to spoil it for you. J

When the second mortal instrument is stolen though, they suspect Jace. Jace is now wondering what to do next to prove that he is innocent and for the first time we see him scared as he faces the accusations.

Overall.... I loved it! One of favourites for sure and I can't wait for the third book. You should definitely read this one if you want a strong, suffering love story with a dark and funny adventure background.

I didn't give it 5 stars as the previous book because I thought it needed more action scenes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, Feb. 26 2008
This review is from: City of Ashes (Hardcover)
Last week, I received a copy of CITY OF ASHES, book two in THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS trilogy by Cassandra Clare, for review. I was so excited because I just loved the first book, CITY OF BONES. I wanted to read more about Clary, Jace, Simon, Luke, and the rest of the Shadowhunters and their adventures. This book, as with the first one, thoroughly entertained me. With this series, Cassandra Clare will easily make herself a household name.

The story opens with Valentine summoning a demon to be at his beck and call. This demon plays against a person's worst fears. You would need a protection spell if you wanted to ward off the advances of that kind of demon. How is that for an opener?! Once again, Valentine is up to no good - no surprise there. At the end of the first book, Valentine gained control of the Mortal Cup, which can only mean trouble for....everyone. What is he up to?

The last few weeks of this new seeing and slaying life has both exhausted and exhilarated Clary. Everything was so simple before that fateful night at the club. Clary was an ordinary teenager with an affinity toward drawing and manga. Now she can see werewolves, vampires, and fairies, and sketch her own runes. Plus, her mother is in a coma and Jace, one of the Shadowhunters who annoys and attracts her at the same time, turns out to be her brother. Bad news for Clary but good news for Simon, who used it to his advantage to get even closer to Clary. She has a tough choice to make about her future. Clary can leave the Shadowhunter world behind like her mother did, or she can become one of them and work toward finding out what Valentine's plan is now that he has the Mortal Cup.

Clary is not the only one to go through personal upheaval. Jace is devastated that he is not who he thought he was. Nothing good can come out of being Valentine's son, which he learns when his "mother" returns home full of accusations. Soon he is cast out from the one place he can call home. The Inquisitor, a real peach of a lady, holds Jace's fate in her hands. Believe me, there is no love lost between his adoptive parents, his real father, and her. Needless to say, the meeting between them doesn't go well and he is sentenced to prison in the Silent City. Prison turns out to not be the safest place for Jace, as dear daddy pays him a visit there trying to get him to switch teams.

Will Jace join Valentine or remain true to the Shadowhunter's virtues? And if he stays true to his Shadowhunter's roots, will he and his cohorts be able to stop Valentine before the rest of the mortal instruments are collected?

To find out how these and many other surprises happen, pick up your copy of CITY OF ASHES.

Reviewed by: coollibrarianchick

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than City of Bones, Jan. 25 2011
This review is from: City of Ashes (Paperback)
I had trouble reading the first book, City of Bones. I found it very boring. Maybe I was spoiled by the Harry Potter books, which takes adventure and magic to a whole new level. However I decided to give the mortal instraments another chance. I actually found myself enjoying City of Ashes. I like simon`s role and story in this book best. I thought this book was really well done until the battle scene. It just went down hill from there. So if you loved City of Bones, I`m sure you`ll die when you read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Très bon livre et accrocheur, Aug. 7 2014
Je ne pouvais poser le livre, j'étais accroché attendant la suite. En lisant une infime partie du troisième, je me rends compte que cet auteur a beaucoup d'imagination et nous plonge facilement dans ce monde fascinant des vampires, chaseuts d'ombre, fées et lyvan... bonne lecture pour tous les ages meme s'il est classé pour ados...

5.0 out of 5 stars A strong follow up book!, Nov. 5 2009
K. Wark "Born Again Book Worm" (Chestermere, AB) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: City of Ashes (Hardcover)
This is the second book in a trilogy and was just as exciting a read as the first! More twists and turns that keep you guessing, resulting in a thoroughly enjoyable read. A really great series thus far that has made my top 5 list!

5.0 out of 5 stars i love the serious, July 15 2014
This review is from: City of Ashes (Paperback)
i love the serious, read the first book and had to order the second. if youre thinking its a teen wolf/vampire book, its actually much better. the movie did not do the book justice so make sure you dont judge whether to read it or not from the movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars City of Ashes, May 26 2014
This review is from: City of Ashes (Hardcover)
Also awesome .... when's the movie coming out????? There is so much going on here .... the Jace and Clary getting close but not too close ..... way to keep people hanging.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, May 5 2014
It is not as good as the first. I still have to finish it because I bought it. Not slow but not that interesting. Hopefully the other books are better.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

City of Ashes
City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (Hardcover - March 25 2008)
CDN$ 29.99 CDN$ 18.80