Auto Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Furniture boutiques-francophones All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store NFL Tools

City of Ashes
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$28.49+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(4 star)show all reviews
on September 17, 2010
The hunt continues for Valentine in this, the second installment in the Mortal Instruments series. Clary, Simon, Jace, Isabelle, and Alex are back along with a host of old and new characters.
This installment ups the ante and brings more surprising twists, as well as more questions. This book is definitely action-packed and secondary characters are now brought to the forefront. We also get a more detailed look at the Shadowhunter world.
Clary is still getting used to the idea that she is a Shadowhunter, but she has to learn quickly if she wants to stay alive. Surprise revelations from the last book make this one more interesting in regards to the dynamics of several relationships. It's intriguing to see what is going to happen, and what boundaries have been laid down. What happens when certain boundaries are crossed? Well, you'll just have to read the book to find out. Quips fly when Jace and Simon are together. Their banter is witty and amusing and keeps the story moving when the action is low.
All in all, City of Ashes is an absorbing read. It is full of exhilarating action, and just the right amount of slow scenes to have you wishing for more. This is definitely an excellent follow up to City of Bones.
on January 30, 2011
In the second book we find Clary and Jace struggling to accept that they brother and sister and nothing more even thought their feelings tell otherwise. If that wasn't enough they have to go through the stares and whispers as now everyone knows that they are Valentine's children.

I loved this book as much as the first one and maybe more. You get to know the characters better and see the powerful but strange relationship Jace and Clary have.
The drama is bigger and the pain and acceptance that Jace and Clary are siblings are enough to handle without the murders. Someone is murdering Downworlders and Simon is acting strange.

Magnus is acting as usual but somehow has focused more on Alec. Isabelle is insane as always and Jace more brooding as it can get.
Valentine is supposed to be the villain but to me he didn't seem like one. His actions seemed to be planted on the go and he lacked motivation. As the bad guy I thought I would see some minions working for him.... where are they when you need them? I can't think of a villain that didn't have or didn't control other people for personal use. But we find out later on why is that (on the 3rd book) so I am not going to spoil it for you. J

When the second mortal instrument is stolen though, they suspect Jace. Jace is now wondering what to do next to prove that he is innocent and for the first time we see him scared as he faces the accusations.

Overall.... I loved it! One of favourites for sure and I can't wait for the third book. You should definitely read this one if you want a strong, suffering love story with a dark and funny adventure background.

I didn't give it 5 stars as the previous book because I thought it needed more action scenes.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Last week, I received a copy of CITY OF ASHES, book two in THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS trilogy by Cassandra Clare, for review. I was so excited because I just loved the first book, CITY OF BONES. I wanted to read more about Clary, Jace, Simon, Luke, and the rest of the Shadowhunters and their adventures. This book, as with the first one, thoroughly entertained me. With this series, Cassandra Clare will easily make herself a household name.

The story opens with Valentine summoning a demon to be at his beck and call. This demon plays against a person's worst fears. You would need a protection spell if you wanted to ward off the advances of that kind of demon. How is that for an opener?! Once again, Valentine is up to no good - no surprise there. At the end of the first book, Valentine gained control of the Mortal Cup, which can only mean trouble for....everyone. What is he up to?

The last few weeks of this new seeing and slaying life has both exhausted and exhilarated Clary. Everything was so simple before that fateful night at the club. Clary was an ordinary teenager with an affinity toward drawing and manga. Now she can see werewolves, vampires, and fairies, and sketch her own runes. Plus, her mother is in a coma and Jace, one of the Shadowhunters who annoys and attracts her at the same time, turns out to be her brother. Bad news for Clary but good news for Simon, who used it to his advantage to get even closer to Clary. She has a tough choice to make about her future. Clary can leave the Shadowhunter world behind like her mother did, or she can become one of them and work toward finding out what Valentine's plan is now that he has the Mortal Cup.

Clary is not the only one to go through personal upheaval. Jace is devastated that he is not who he thought he was. Nothing good can come out of being Valentine's son, which he learns when his "mother" returns home full of accusations. Soon he is cast out from the one place he can call home. The Inquisitor, a real peach of a lady, holds Jace's fate in her hands. Believe me, there is no love lost between his adoptive parents, his real father, and her. Needless to say, the meeting between them doesn't go well and he is sentenced to prison in the Silent City. Prison turns out to not be the safest place for Jace, as dear daddy pays him a visit there trying to get him to switch teams.

Will Jace join Valentine or remain true to the Shadowhunter's virtues? And if he stays true to his Shadowhunter's roots, will he and his cohorts be able to stop Valentine before the rest of the mortal instruments are collected?

To find out how these and many other surprises happen, pick up your copy of CITY OF ASHES.

Reviewed by: coollibrarianchick
on July 20, 2013
This was a good second book. Though I have to say the only reason I continued on with the series is cause I peeked ahead to see if the author was going to "Fix" the issue I had with the last book. I found the main fighting scene to be just on the border of being too long and have a feeling that when the HUGE battle comes (I suspect there will be one) I just hope it doesn't go on and on... that all said. The characters were still fun to read and kept me at a quick pace.
on August 24, 2013
Was turned into it because of the first movie, and was pleasantly surprised about the writing stylings, and the overall flow.
on October 20, 2012
Great 2nd book-just made me want to read #3! Will be ordering that as soon as I am done this review.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon July 30, 2010
This book was just as good as the first one. Still filled with action, and intrigue. There were plenty of twists, especially when it come to some characters (Simon being the major prime example). I really did enjoy reading Simon's story arc. It was just so interesting and there was so much development to his character. I just really like Simon overall. It did certainly feel as if he had a personality change. He wasn't the fun loving guy anymore but was replaced by a more serious, older sounding Simon. I liked the transition as it wasn't done in just one go. It was gradual, starting with issues with Clary and Jace, to other more life changing moments (I don't want to give it away).

The plot was really good and interesting. It was a good mixture of action, a bit of romance, and funny wit all in one. There were plenty of parts where I found myself laughing at a comment or two - usually done by either Jace or Clary.

Now down to the ugly part. I'm going to have to say this. I hear everybody raving about it and how awesome he is, how 'hot' he is etc etc. I'm going to say it. Brace yourselves.

I hate Jace. I really do. Wow do I really hate him. I'd like to jump into the book and punch him. That or I hope Simon does me the favor one day. Hopefully.

Why do I hate him? he's arrogant. He's a jerk. He's selfish. I admit yes there are some quotes from him that made me laugh but to me, he's not boyfriend material. In fact he's just a douche in my eyes. I don't understand the appeal there is to this guy. Plus he ruins everything. Clary and Simon were doing just fine until Jace had to goose step in thinking he's the hottest thing since the Twilight characters.

Also Clary was really starting to get to me throughout the last half of the book. I don't understand her. She whines about being with Simon, and then thinks lusty thoughts about Jace - and here I am thinking that if I really wanted to read a book with brother and sister being 'together' I'd pull out Flowers in the Attic. It was getting to the point where I was just about to do so. I'm really glad Clary got her come uppins in the end in the love department. She really did deserve that for being so wishy washy. Right now I don't know what to think about her. I used to like her a lot but after this thing with Jace and Simon I'm not so sure.

The ending was good and left at a real cliffhanger. I am looking forward to getting the third book to see what happens. Overall, the series is so far, really good and has been an exciting read. I am definitely looking foward to reading City of Glass.
on October 18, 2010
I liked Book Two in the Mortal Instruments series better than the first. The story never met a lull and Clare showed daring with the Clary and Jace romance (though I'm sure in doing so, she has showed her hand). The ending should have had more of a hook, but it didn't matter - I'm going to read Book Three.