5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books ever
Published on Aug. 5 2009 by S. Stanford

2.0 out of 5 stars meh...
I am not sure what I expected when I read this. I just know that it doesn't feel like a true account as it is depicted.
Published 8 months ago by Caro

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books ever, Aug. 5 2009
S. Stanford (Montreal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Go Ask Alice (Paperback)
This book is one of the best book Ive ever read. I've never took an interest in reading until my sister told me about the book, once I opened it I couldn't stop reading, I read the book in 2 days. For all the critics that think it's not a real story they just made it up ect... The book obviously wasn't written in the 2000's, drug use now is way different then back then, just because you're a drug user and your story isnt close to what was written doesnt mean it's not true.
The book overall is amazing and I think everyone should at least take a look at it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing., Jan. 21 2014
This review is from: Go Ask Alice (Kindle Edition)
A must read for parents and teens. It is the story of a read girl who was alive many years ago. although it is an older story it still tells the real issues teens deal with in everyday lives, what they have the potential to cross across at parties, what they might think, and how they may behave.

5.0 out of 5 stars book, Jan. 20 2014
This review is from: Go Ask Alice (Hardcover)
This was one of my favorite books growing up. I think all kids should read it maybe they won't turn to drugs if they read it. Delivery was good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, Oct. 22 2013
This review is from: Go Ask Alice (Hardcover)
My spouse and I read this book together, was my second time and we truly enjoyed it. I would highly recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars meh..., Oct. 22 2013
This review is from: Go Ask Alice (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story but a tad too melodramatic, Aug. 22 2006
Eugene Ius (Montréal, Qc) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Go Ask Alice (Paperback)
In this book you will find wonderful reading for a teenager and a feeling of skepticism for an adult. The story itself is very engaging and the book can easily be read in one sitting. It is a spectacular blend of teen angst combined with the choosing of a wrong path. The influence of this book has been grand for it has been widely read in high schools in the last three decades. The veracity of the story is questionable and my opinion is that this book has been exaggerated by a committee of editors and is but a shadow of the real journal; if there ever was one. The latter does not make the book least entertaining so I therefore highly recommend the reading of this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst book I have ever read, Feb. 1 2013
This review is from: Go Ask Alice (Paperback)
Read this within a few hours. The entire thing SCREAMED of conservative propaganda. Since its publication there has been serious inquiry as to its credibility. The drug experiences described read like they were written by someone who had never done drugs, only romanticised what they thought drugs would be like based on the first-person accounts of others. The characters were one-dimensional, the dialogue stereotypical, and the progression of events unrealistic. Even if this was a work of fiction, it is written so poorly and contains such misleading information that it's not even worth one's time as a novel.

Not a single part of this book reached out to me. The entire thing seemed superficial, biased, and horribly contrived. Some people go through experiences like this, perhaps this text is even based off (not is) someone's story, but I would have to interrogate the author herself to believe that this book is nothing more than right-wing propaganda published in a time where "the Establishment" was trying to do anything it could to reach teenagers who openly disregarded them. What better way than with a "real" girl whose life perfectly mimics the history of anti-drug campaigns? I’m shocked anyone believed this account to be true, especially when the “editor” has published a whole series of culturally conservative “anonymous” diaries.

Thoroughly disappointed. I recommend you completely disregard this as the classic it's supposed to be. I don't even want to return it to my bookshelf; I don't think it deserves a place there. Nor would I pass it on to a friend or donate it, as I don’t think anyone should be exposed to this trash. It’s the first book I’ve thought actually deserves to be burned.

3.0 out of 5 stars it was ok, June 2 2008
elfdart - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
this is the diary of an anonymous girl and her struggle with drugs and addiction. as chance would have it i read it sometime after i watched that movie thirteen, which is supposedly also true, and that was kind of similar so i guess the book had less of an impact on me than it would have if i'd read it without any preparation. it was still a good read though. as you would expect from reading a diary, it did a a good job making the story realistic, though i suppose knowing this is based on an actual diary helped with that, though how much of this diary is fact is up for debate...

problems i had with this book is how little it went into the drug issue. drugs in general is a very complicated topic and i thought that this book simplified drug addiction ridiculously. since this book is aimed for teen audiences and as such the issue should be fleshed out a bit more... this book just seemed to perpetuate the boogeyman. don't get me wrong, drugs can be scary things and can really mess up someone's life, but at the same time nothing is so childishly black and white.

also, the heroine of this book had little to no backbone. she's dangerously ignorant and too eager to please... so basically she brought this upon herself. at some point when your life is flushing itself down the drain you would realize this, and at points in the novel you can tell she does, she just can't stop 'the outside world' from destroying her. i actually find it kind of interesting that as a society we celebrate novels like this, of complete destruction of the self. i enjoy this kind of story very much when the destruction is intentional, but in this instance the girl just float along on the current she was caught up in. this kind of bothers me, but at the same time... meh. because for myself it's just slightly annoying, but for some young girl who has been sheltered, this would be seriously disturbing... and it would be harder, i believe, for someone at that age to pick up on the fact that the girl didn't exercise her will... that drugs is a choice like everything else.

when i look at factors like these, you have to begin to wonder at the motivation of the authors, yes plural. this book was based on a real diary... based on, meaning some or even most of it is fiction. and in a book store you will find this in the fiction section. this book, and books like this, are mean to instil fear that comes from the ignorance that surrounds drugs. perpetuates the stereotype. as i say, i do not condone drug abuse, but neither to i approve of misinformation for the purpose of perpetuating fear and ignorance.

it was a decent fiction piece though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mildly Entertaining / Teaches Some Good Morals, Sept. 11 2007
Mark Nenadov "arm-chair reader" (Essex, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Go Ask Alice (Paperback)
This is about a young girl and her tragic experiences with drugs. It teaches some helpful morals. The 'editor' claims that this a real life diary, but both internal and external evidence shows this is more likely a fabrication. I'm sure, though, that it wouldn't be too hard to find a real life situation that turned out just as tragic. Judged as a work of fiction, this book contains a rather weak ending (the conclusion depends too much on inference). It is also rather "graphic" for typical moralistic fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book, Sept. 6 2006
This review is from: Go Ask Alice (Paperback)
Usually I dont go for books likethis, but i read this one anyways and i loved it! I coulndt put it down! IT was an excellent read and I would suggest it to anyone who wants a good book to read on a cold day! I was able to relate to Alice's emotions and it is very well written!

Go Ask Alice
Go Ask Alice by Anonymous (Paperback - Jan. 1 2006)
CDN$ 12.99 CDN$ 11.69