5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic New YA Trilogy

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was hoping for
Published on Jan. 6 2010 by J. Scully

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was hoping for, Jan. 6 2010
J. Scully "withagoodbook" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Wake (Paperback)
Janie, the central character in Lisa McMann's Wake has an unusual problem - she gets pulled into other people's dreams. She has no control over when and where this happens, or over her own body while it's occurring. This causes a multitude of problems for Janie who struggles to hide her 'disorder' from everyone around her. She seems to be succeeding at keeping her secret, until one day the boy down the street happens to notice her strange behaviour. From that point on, Janie and Cabel attempt to forge a friendship while dealing with their respective secrets.

The premise of Wake is intriguing and original, but unfortunately the delivery leaves much to be desired. The biggest problem I had with the novel is the third person, present tense narration. It feels like the characters are talking about/to themselves the whole time, and it's very distracting. Add the extreme overuse of characters first names, and the short choppy sentences, and the result is a very frustrating writing style. The characters, while likable are not very well fleshed out, making it difficult to really care about them.

While I understand that the writer wanted to set up how difficult it was for Janie on a day-to-day basis, I found the many random dreams that Janie experienced pulled me out of the narrative, while the dreams of the characters we did know became very repetitive. And lastly, we never really learn why things are the way they are. Why does Janie have this ability? Why is Janie's mother such a mess? So many questions that seem important were never addressed. I know this is the first book in the series, so I'm hoping that the sequels will answer some of these questions.

This could have been a fascinating tale about dreams and inner desires, and overcoming debilitating obstacles. Instead Wake is a short story about some dark teens, with an interesting premise that is never really carried out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic New YA Trilogy, March 20 2009
Nicola Mansfield (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Wake (Paperback)
Seventeen-year-old Janie gets sucked into other people's dreams. It's been happening since she was eight. Now that she is getting older things are getting worse. More and more students in high school fall asleep at their desks and Janie blacks out and enters the dreams more frequently. She blacks out at school, on the job at a seniors home, and shortly after buying her first car, while driving. This is getting out of hand and she must learn how to take control of the episodes. So far all she knows is that distance or a closed door will prevent the dreams.

I'm going to say it straight off. I loved this book so much, I could gush about it on and on. Page one and I was hooked! With an absolutely unique plot and characters that appeal to you from the first; I could not put this book down. The world around me stood still as I entered this fabulous plot.

It is a quick read, compelling and moves at a fast pace. Written in a journal type format, yet in the third person, there are no chapters but only short dated entries that make it so easy to keep saying "just a few more pages" well into the wee hours of the morning.

This is a book that is going to appeal to older teens and adults, equally. The story is very realistic; dealing with issues of abusive and negligent parents. This will haunt me for quite some time and is most certainly my most favourite book read this month.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, Jan. 15 2008
This review is from: Wake (Hardcover)
Dreams can usually be categorized as our source of entertainment while we are sleeping. Although we sometimes may not remember them, they often take us on a journey that we may (or may not) want to happen. For Janie Hannagan, though, dreams are her worst nightmares.

Not like any other normal teenage girl, Janie witnesses the dreams that anyone within close proximity is dreaming. Of course, she doesn't really want this to happen, but it has been going on ever since she was eight. Janie is able to see the ordinary dreams, from falling to drowning to going to work without wearing any pants. Along with that, she is able to see people's secrets and what they desire the most.

There is nothing Janie can do about this but to just keep the knowledge to herself. That all changes when Cable, the guy who everyone thought was a pothead and a dealer, enters her life as she enters his dreams. Half the time, the dreams are somewhat sweet and romantic, but then other times she witnesses the nightmares that have been haunting him.

As Janie tries to sort out not only his dreams but her own feelings for Cable, she learns that the only way to survive her reactions towards other people's dreams is to control them -- and to help the people complete the tasks that they so desperately want to accomplish.

Every now and then a novel gets published and becomes a work of art that we all will long remember. WAKE is one of those novels that is not only unique but also mesmerizing and exhilarating. With her debut novel, Lisa McMann creates something that will be on our minds and change the way we think about what we read.

Reviewed by: Randstostipher "tallnlankyrn" Nguyen

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, Aug. 30 2008
This review is from: Wake (Hardcover)
This is a great book! The story is a nice mix between the anime 'Paprika', and the '1-800-Where-R-U' series. So if you liked either of those, then you'll probably like this also.

The pace is fast, and the short time formats for every event make for a very quick and easy read, especially if you're someone who likes to read a few pages here and there between things.

The dreams, and the reactions to them by the main character in this book, are both funny and interesting. So once you do start, you'll have a hard time just putting it down. I was able to finish it in one sitting easily because of this. It's definitely worth picking up in my opinion, and I can't wait for the sequel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Frosy @Books Like Fairytales >> [...], Oct. 22 2011
This review is from: Wake (Paperback)
It was very interesting to see Janie getting sucked into dreams. Because that was what was happening. She couldn't help but be sucked into someone's dreams when she was near them. Some of them were nice but some of them were pure nightmares and it was almost impossible to get out of them.

The story is short just about 230 pages and the writing is simple and to the point. It didn't take me long to finish it. The plot was pretty much simple too with the big surprise in the end. I did not expect that about Cabel!

The romance between Janie and Cabel was pure sweetness. That's what it comes to my mind-sweet-they were so cute together and you could see how they bonded with each other, because they both have scars and burdens but they helped each other.

Overall I liked it. I wouldn't have read this if I hadn't seen it at the bookstore at the time. It was a sweet story and I'm looking forward for the rest.

3.0 out of 5 stars Trouble Sleeping?, April 22 2011
Heather Pearson "Heather" (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Wake (Paperback)
I had requested this one from my library for my daughter to listen to. When she didn't load it onto her ipod, I decided that I would listen to it instead. Good choice. This story had me caught from the start and didn't let me go.

Since she was young, high school student Janie has been drawn into others dreams. She doesn't want to be there, but she has no choice. It's not something that happens only when she is asleep, but also when she is wide awake. Janie must find some way of dealing with this if she is to lead any sort of normal life.

Caleb seems to be offering her helping hand, but he has enough problems of his own. Everyone knows that he has trouble with the law and Janie definitely doesn't want to be involved with that.

I totally enjoyed this story. At first I didn't understand where these flashbacks of Janie as a young girl were going, but that was cleared up pretty quickly. We learn very little about Janie's mother, other than she drinks, in fact she drinks a lot. I wonder whether her mother also is drawn into other people's dreams and that she uses the alcohol to blot them out. Perhaps I'll learn more in the next book.

This is the first part in a three book series. Fade and Gone and the following titles. I have already requested Fade from my library, again as an audio book.

The audio version that I listened to is unabridged and runs for 4 hours 24 minutes. It was read by Ellen Grafton.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, fast read, and a great read!, Feb. 26 2010
Karoline (Richmond BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wake (Hardcover)
This book literally got my attention from page one. I couldn't put it down and when I did, I just wanted to pick it up again and resume reading. I finished it in about two days and so far is one of the better books I've read this year. It's the writing style that got my attention. It's in short sentences, yet with splashes of dialogue and moments of dream descriptions in between. The pace is extremely fast in the book but because of the way its' written, you won't be lost in the storyline and everything is easily understandable. The plot is a little haphazard at first, but you do get the general idea and once you do, it steamrolls quickly and you are quickly engrossed and extremely interested as what will happen next. The dreams are well written and the nightmares do sound like something one would dream of. The sexy dreams? well, they're laughable but I'm sure they'd be quite embarrassing if they were known to someone and you didn't even know they were watching.

As to characters, I like both Janie and Cabel. They do seem to compliment each other (although they were on a rocky start). I really do love the way Cabel tries to take care of Janie, even when he doesn't understand what's happening to her at first. I like his loyalty, and admire both his and Janie's strength after what they've been through in their trouble childhood pasts. Especially Janie, as she's living with an alcoholic mother and dealing with her "affliction" at the same time, and also dealing with issues at school (Melinda's a real twit). Other than Janie and Cabel, not much is done with the other characters surrounding them, they are more like secondary ones, so the main focus would be on the two.

A lot of questions have been left at the end of this book. I really wanted to know more about Miss Stubin, it seems she is the key to everything Janie needs to know about her gift. The thing is, it's not really explained in this book and only mentioned in very vague and subtle references. I wish there was more information but perhaps it will be covered in the next two books, as now Janie finds out her gift, can be of great use after all. Nevertheless I will be going for the second book for sure, this one was way too interesting to just let go without knowing what was to happen next!

Overall, I recommend this book to anyone who have a love for YA fiction. There is teenage drama/romance in it, but the paranormal aspect of it dominates. It's very well written, a quick read, but a very entertaining one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Will Keep You Awake, Dec 29 2009
K. Edwards (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wake (Paperback)
Janie never dreams. At least, she doesn't have her own - she enters other people's dreams, and she can't control it. So if someone falls asleep in class, she's got to get out of there or everyone will think she's having an epileptic fit.

Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, and everything changes. Suddenly, she is not just an observer, but also a participant.

Janie's journey from victim of a curse to empowered detective is excellent. There's also a bit of romance in this book. The writing style is very sparse and immediate, which makes it a quick read. Recommended!

The sequel, "Fade," does not live up to this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handle Like Hendrix reviews Wake, June 22 2009
C. Dey "HandleLikeHendrix" (Winnipeg, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wake (Paperback)
I wanted to read WAKE after seeing it in the bookstore and on blogs with positive reviews. And also because of the haunting cover of it's sequel, FADE.

I loved the writing style. I finished it in two days, reading 105 pages each day. It was very easy to read and zip through. And I'm all about easy to zip through an books that are easy to read and hard to put down.

Cabel is so cute. I fell in love with him. Also if you agree with me you may want to look at the the '25 Random Things About Me' that Lisa McMann did from Cabel's perspective. You can find it on her blog and facebook.

I loved how Janie and Cabel had stuff to be in despair about yet they handled it well and supported and looked out for eachother.

The only thing I didn't like, which I'm trying to not give away, is the whole thing that Cabel is involved with. You'll understand when you read it. I just found it random and pointless, is all.

I have FADE but I don't want to read it yet because it will be over in no time and I have to wait a year for GONE, the conclusion to the series, to come out. It can't come fast enough.

Reviewed by Callie at Handle Like Hendrix

5.0 out of 5 stars Ever wonder what it would be like to see other peoples dreams?, Oct. 23 2008
This review is from: Wake (Hardcover)
This was a great book that I devoured in a day. Wow - what a great read! I was only sad when it was over and I found out I have to wait until next year to read the next book in the series! Great book, real characters and makes you really think about what it would be like to see inside other people's dreams. Can't wait for FADE!

Wake
Wake by Lisa McMann (Paperback - Dec 23 2008)
CDN$ 11.99 CDN$ 10.79