5.0 out of 5 stars Femal PI Extraordinaire
Published on April 16 2004 by Ron Atkins

2.0 out of 5 stars Weakest of the 10 I've Read
I finally gave Grafton's "alphabet" series featuring Kinsey Millhone a try with "P Is For Peril" a year or two ago, when it was the newest of the series. I liked "P", and I've since been working my way through the rest, starting with "A" -- I've now reached "I."
Published on March 1 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Really Disappointed, March 19 2004
By A Customer
I am new to this series of books and am reading them in order. I really enjoyed A through G, but H is a real disappointment. I simply do not like Kinsey in this one. She comes across as a bit stupid here. I'm surprised at her willingness to break the law. For example, she hits the female cop since this will get her arrested and she'll be able to stay close to Bibianna. What?! Or how about when she's with Raymond looking for potential accidents and she VOLUNTEERS to drive at one point. Then when she causes her first accident she feels a "thrill." Who is this person? What I really found ridiculous was the chapter with Dolan and Santos filling Kinsey in on what's going on and what they want her to do, and then low and behold, she inexplicably gets bailed out before she's supposed to. I hope the next books in this series that I read are a whole lot better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Weakest of the 10 I've Read, March 1 2004
By A Customer
I think "H Is For Homicide" is the weakest I've read. Much of the book has Kinsey undercover, living with some crooks and auto insurance fraud artists in Los Angeles. The plot doesn't seem to advance very quickly in these segments, and Kinsey's acerbic observations begin to pall. We're left with a generally static narrative of fairly pointless minor incidents among uninteresting, vaguely threatening people. Kinsey's better when she's rushing around among a variety of mainly middle class specimens, observing their tastes and foibles, in my opinion.
The good news is that "I Is For Innocent" was a welcome return to form.

5.0 out of 5 stars Femal PI Extraordinaire, April 16 2004
Okay, it's been a few years since Sue Grafton wrote this book and I'm finally getting around to reading it and making commentary. Having been caught up in John Grisham, Elmore Leonard, and James Patterson, I am just now discovering the alphabet series of mysteries written by Grafton. Her use of a feisty female PI is refreshing, and so far none of her stories have been boring.
In H is for Homicide, Kinsey finds herself caught up in an undercover investigation of insurance fraud and spends time, virtually as a hostage, in the LA barrios. She's tough and manages to solve the mystery and save her hide. Also, in this book, there is an interesting twist at the end that is a bit unbelievable, but adds interest to the story.
Great read. Grafton never disappoints.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Too Bad-Could Have Been A Little More Interesting, Sept. 25 2003
J. Kirkman "book jen" (St. Petersburg, FL United States) - See all my reviews
In this book, Kinsey Millhone plays a cover-up investigator so she can see for herself, this deranged killer who not only kills but commits insurance fraud as well. He is after money and this is how he tags his victims.
The story takes Kinsey through bars, hospitals, and all else to try and nail this deranged man to put him away for good. The book
is full of violent chases and Kinsey goes to jail at one point for trying to help Bibianna, the victim at the killer's hands.
I thought the book was okay, but not the very best.Good enough to stick with it and see what happens.

4.0 out of 5 stars Insurance fraud, Jan. 23 2003
Karen Potts (Lake Jackson, Texas) - See all my reviews
When private investigator Kinsey Millhone returns home after doing a consumer investigation, she is saddened to learn that one of her friends from California Fidelity Insurance has been killed. Kinsey has office space in the C.F. building and the dead man was an employee there. In the meantime, she is checking on insurance fraud cases, and suddenly the murder and her investigation begin to merge. What follows is a book-long wild ride into the underworld in the company of a young hustler named Bibianna Diaz. She spends an evening in a bar named the Meat Locker and things get only worse after that. Kinsey's and Bibianna's lives are threatened as the facts of the insurance fraud becomes clear. This is another good read in a dependable series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hurrah for Kinsey Millhone, Jan. 1 2003
I love Sue Grafton's work. She has created a wonderful set of characters led by Kinsey Milhone, Private Investigator. In this novel Kinsey is investigating insurance fraud and takes her job seriously enough to pose as a hooker in order to get close to the hooker who will lead her to solving the case. This book is as usual a fast paced thriller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sue Grafton does it again, April 6 2002
Robert Von Gerds "robgerds" (Cincinnati, Ohio) - See all my reviews
Someone once told me that Sue Grafton's book were for women only. Well, he could not have been any more wrong. The Alphabet series is a wonderful series of books and I have read A through H at this point and will continue until I get to the end.

This time, Kinsey gets involved in investigating claims to an insurance company that seem fraudulent and she ends up infiltrating an insurance fraud gang as a result. It is Kinsey Millhone and Sue Grafton at their best. Don't Miss it! I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars You have to read it twice, Jan. 27 2002
D. P. Birkett (Suffern, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This one largely takes place in the Los Angeles barrio where Kinsey is (kind of) undercover investigating insurance fraud and murder for the California Indemnity Company. It's the last one in the series to have a major CIC connection.
You have to re-read this after you've finished because a final three-word sentence stands the whole plot on its head. An even better reason for re-reading is to savor Grafton's English prose style. When she gets a whole building to describe she slightly prolongs things too much, but I love descriptions like this one, of a garage "The late afternoon sun slanted onto the cracked concrete floor in tawny yellow stripes. The air smelled of oil, old tires. and hot metal."

5.0 out of 5 stars It could only happen to Kinsey., Nov. 4 2001
"auorchid" (Edinburg, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
Then again only Kinsey could get herself into so much trouble and on gang turf in Los Angeles trying to investigate an insurance fraud claim for California Fidelity. The latter, who has just been bought out and is now run by an efficiency expert, wants to renegotiate her long-standing employment agreement with the previous bosses. Can Kinsey crack the case and save her job? Will she escape the clutches of Luis, Raymond and company in time to buy a new dress for Vera Lipton's wedding? You will have to read it to find out. Stay tuned for futher episodes of Kinsey Millhone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Grafton, Sept. 4 2001
Jennifer L. Oliver "ollie1976" (Youngsville, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: "H" is for Homicide (Hardcover)
If you have started the alphabet series, make sure you continue it! This is typical Grafton work with Kinsey getting personally affected by false insurance claims.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xaf590e7c)

H Is for Homicide
H Is for Homicide by Sue Grafton (Library Binding - March 22 1992)
Used & New from: CDN$ 20.64