march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on May 28, 2012
My students challenged me to read this book; I couldn't put it down! I had already started the Percy Jackson series but I think I like this one even more! Very well done, Mr. Riordan! One of my grade 3 students polished off this book in about three days; she was reading every spare minute! She and I were fighting over who was going to get to the second book first!
Carter and Sadie Kane have their world turned upside down in one night. They are siblings raised apart. Carter was raised while travelling the world with their father, an Egyptologist. Sadie was raised with their maternal grandparents in London England. On one of the two days a year they are allowed to spend together, instantly their lives are changed forever. On that fateful night the Egyptian God, Set, and his siblings are released from their long entrapment. Set traps their father and they must find a way to free him.

Exploring a slew of Egyptian myths and legends, the story is a history lesson wrapped in a thrilling adventure that spans time and continents. In a world where Egyptian magic still exists, and all the old legends have more truth than just myths, it is superbly written and intensely addictive; this story is amazing and leaves you desperate for book two.
on August 3, 2010
Purchesed for my 15 year old Grandson, who thought it was an awesome book and can't wait for the second one to come out in October. Has also totally peaked his interest in Mythology and can hardly wait to take course in school to learn more.
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon November 22, 2010
This is great, Rick Riordan has done an excellent job. I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm an adult and I have read this and the Percy Jackson series. Not everything's just for kids =P and I doubt very much that I'd grow out of reading these. I can't wait for May 2011, I'm sure he'll do just as great a job as the first!
on January 1, 2013
This is the first book in the Kane Chronicles trilogy. I loved his Percy Jackson seres, so I decided to give this set a try. I loved it! Very entertaining, funny, and full of educational facts about ancient Egypt.
on June 20, 2010
Rick Riordan's run of fun fantasy continues. Using myth combined with fantasy this has the promise of a great new series.

This new series, unlike the Percy Jackson series, is told by a brother and sister -- Carter and Sadie -- who alternate chapters. The setting is an alternative earth where magic exists. In this case, the magic is based in Egyptian mythology rather than the Greek of "The Olympians" books. And Carter and Sadie have their heritage flow from the pharaohs rather than from be offspring of the so-called 'gods' themselves.

The Egyptian myths leave plenty of scope for future stories to come. Other great new fantasy books that have recently been released are the brilliant 'Godstone - The Kairos Boxes' and 'Chosen Ones'.

Godstone - The Kairos Boxes
on January 15, 2011
Due to some overloads at Christmas I never received this product but once the seller was made aware of the error they were VERY quick to give me a refund.
on March 3, 2014
I wait for new books from that serie with impatience. Always good books from this author, this one doesn't change from that, thank you very much!
on August 12, 2013
Is a wonderful read and the characters are excellent the writing is awesome the best book in a great series I have already read.
on June 30, 2010
I started to read this book to my fifth graders, but it is long and the end of the year crept up on us and we didn't get to finish it. So I took it home and finished it myself. I loved it.

There are two main characters, Sadie and Carter Kane. They are brother and sister, but they are almost strangers to each other. When Sadie was 6 and Carter 8, their mother died and because of a bitter custody dispute, Sadie went with her mother's parents in London and Carter stayed with his dad. They only see each other two times a year. Carter travels with his father, an Egyptologist, and is home schooled, while Sadie goes to a public school in London. They really don't have much to say when they see each other.

One Christmas Eve, Carter and his father pick up Sadie and go to the British Museum for a research project. While there, Mr. Kane destroys the Rosetta Stone and unleashes five Egyptian gods into the world. He is entombed and leaves Carter and Sadie saddled with a mission to stop the god, Set, from destroying the world.

Many other reviewers have said that they couldn't tell the differences between Carter and Sadie's voices, but I could. Sadie was brash while Carter is more polite. They complimented each other in many ways. I loved getting two different points of view as I read.

Another character that I loved was Bast, the cat goddess, who took the form many times of Muffin, Sadie's cat. She was funny and you could tell she really loved the children. I had a little problem with the Egyptian mythology (I fell in love with Greek myths when I was younger), but enjoyed learning about it. I can't wait to read the next installment of THE KANE CHRONICLES!

Reviewed by: Marta Morrison