4.0 out of 5 stars Artemis Fowl The Opal Deception, March 10 2006
By A Customer
Artemis Fowl
The Opal Deception

After “Artemis Fowl the Eternity Code”, a spectacular new book was released to continue with this exciting series by Eoin Colfer. This book I’m talking about is “Artemis Fowl the Opal Deception”. In this book there are new laughs, a new adventure, and new characters and old characters. You may not recall this particular villain because she was sent to prison before the Artemis Fowl series was started. Her name is Opal Koboi. In this book Opal has escaped from prison and now she is killing people who sent her to jail. It is up to Holy to find Artemis and get his memory back before Opal kills her and Artemis.
This book is set in modern time, a year after Artemis is brain washed. What brain washed means is that someone loses all of their memory or what the person who is doing the brain washing wants erased. The person who got brain washed continues on with life as before, not remembering what memory has lost. Most books have good V.S. evil but in this book it's bad partnering up with good to eliminate evil. I think that someone who is “bad” partnering with good is really interesting because it is interesting to see how they work together, interact, talk and respond.
The personality of these characters have somewhat changed since the last book. Opal Koboi is very impatient and always wants it her way; she is a very smart villain, so she almost gets her way all the time. Julius Root was very stern, but in this book he is more happy and open to Holy and Foaly. Artemis, the greedy little criminal mastermind starts to change in the book, he thinks about being just a regular boy, enjoying life and quitting crime. Holy’s personality hasn’t changed; she is still really focused on her job, but this time she is in grave danger. Holy is extremely focused on not getting arrested by the Leprecon police, finding Artemis and not getting killed by Opal Koboi. Artemis's dad is now talking to Artemis about quitting crime and becoming a better father. He also talks about the Fowl family becoming a regular family. Butler, now older than he was before is now slower to help save Artemis, but is still protecting Artemis as best he can.
The theme of this book is revenge. For example; Opal is out to kill everyone who sent her to jail. Friendship, is shown by Holy and Artemis depending on their friendship to save one another. Also, another example is if it wasn’t for Artemis’s friendship with Butler, Butler wouldn’t be looking for Artemis. Finally survival, this is demonstrated by Holy and Artemis trying to survive Opal’s treacherous plans to kill them. Also, it is demonstrated by Foaly trying to survive Opal’s horrible plans.
This is a fiction book because in real life a 13 year old kid wouldn’t be a criminal master mind, fairies don’t just pop out of nowhere and centaurs don’t exist in present time. This book is a very suspenseful book because it is very exciting, suspenseful, and descriptive and page turning. I think this book stands out because a bad person is actually our hero, in most books a “good” person is our hero but not in this book. I also think that Eoin Colfer has done a really great job on this book because the writing paints a picture in the reader’s head and the words make it very exciting. I also think that this is better than the previous book because it has more of a problem, more page turning and more excitement.
I would rate this book 9 out of ten stars because it paints a picture in my head, it had some funny parts and it had very sad parts. I highly recommend this book because it has an exciting plot, descriptive words, an exciting adventure and it teaches something to the reader. If you are some one who likes Eoin Colfer books, you should read this book. If you are someone who is looking for a new book to start try this book. Lastly, if you are someone who likes “darker” type of books you might want keep this book in mind.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sequel to the rest, March 11 2006
Nikki (ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
One main thing I was disappointed in, was that the title of this book gave things away. The Opal Deception is about none other... than Opal! Shockingly (not), Opal Koboi makes her comeback as the bad guy. Artemis is needed once more to help save the People from her plan to overturn the Mud Men (humans) and the People (fairies), rule over them all. The drawback? In the last novel, Artemis and the gang finally had their minds wiped, so they don't remember a thing. Holly has to race against time to find Artemis and get his memory back.
There is one suprising death in this novel, of a character from all the books (I won't give it away though!). Opal Deception is also filled with cliffhangers and both new and old characters. It's a good sequel to the other books, but I think my favourite is still The Eternity Code.
If you've read the series, this is a must read. It's also a good addition to your bookshelf, and good as a lighter read.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best series out there!!!, Dec 29 2005
Eoin Colfer has done it again with this non-stop action novel. Comical and fast paced, this is a real page turner as boy genius Artemis, Holly, Butler, and Mulch try to stop the evil pixie Opal Koboi, who has awaken, broken out of prison, and is exacting her revenge on the 2 worlds and their inhabitants. But stopping her will be anything but easy for Artemis and friends. Opal's evil plan is like the tangle of a spider's web. And then there's Artemis. His memories gone, Artemis will have to remember his past in order to stop Opal and save both worlds from certain doom. A brillant tale. Another book I've enjoyed: The alien invasion adventure "GAAK" by Darryl Hughes. It's a wonderful adventure for scifi fans of all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep it up Colfer, Nov. 24 2006
This is a good book in a great series that makes a fun and quick read. The villain from The Arctic Incident returns to plague all the characters we love, including young Artemis Fowl, manservant Butler, the elf Captain Holly Short and her commander Julius Root, the centaur Foaly, and the notorious criminal dwarf Mulch Diggums. Add the usual sarcasm, hillarious moments, and criminal ingenuity, you have another amazing book in this amazing series. I truly enjoy the entire series and look forward to the next book. In fact I like reading series. A new series os so far three books, that I recently discovered and will definitely continue reading, is "Why Some Cats are Rascals" - Delightful.

5.0 out of 5 stars same as the others.... GREAT!, April 19 2005
When I first saw this book in the store I was shocked. I had no idea that there was a fourth Artemis Fowl book. I picked it up on the spot and took it home to read.
It was as great as I thought it would be. If you are a fan of the first three books than you will also be a fan of this one. It captures the characters and adds new twists and developements to the overall storyline. All the old characters {except the goblin gangs} make an appearance and help to further or hinder the solution to the new Opal problem.
If you haven't read any of the Artemis Fowl books I strongly suggest you give one a try. Read it in a bookstore. Borrow it from the library. What have you got to lose. You may just like it.
Once again great book. Try it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Read !!!, Dec 20 2005
Ranjan Mukerjee (Windsor, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Being a really big fan of Artemis Fowl, there was no way i would miss reading this book. Eoin Colfer has produced another great literary jewel in The Opal Deception. The book has all the action and subtle humour found in the previous books and goes a step ahead in narration. A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great edition to the series!, July 22 2012
Fantasy's Ink (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception (Paperback)
Cover:
I like this cover, mostly because I think it gives a good idea of how the pixies look like, especially the eyes. You can also see Artemis and Holly against a troll, which they face in the book. The troll looks more beast-like than what I imagined, but it suits their description and behavior better than what I had in mind.

Writing:
The writing was quirky and humorous (especially the dialogue) and never once treated the readers like idiots. The narrator had a strong presence in the book and the writing had its own unique style that stood out and brought life and character to the world (I'm basically saying the same thing about the writing as I did with previous books. I'm pretty lazy, but hey, Colfer's writing never loses its touch as the series progresses and is always superb).

Setting:
There was a variety of settings from Haven, Munich - Germany, The Temple of Artemis (the Greek goddess of course), and through the chutes as Artemis and Co chase down Opal. But as usual, Colfer always gives us fresh settings and doesn't overuse anything, so the settings never feel boring or tedious.

Plot:
What was more unique about this plot is that, in the beginning, Artemis doesn't know of the fairies' existence (since he had his mind wiped in the previous book). So we see what Artemis' schemes are usually like when they don't involve fairies. The plot was pretty intense and as I raced through the book, and for once, I wasn't sure if Artemis' plan would work against Opal. I really wasn't sure if Opal would be captured and defeated at all.

Main Character:
Since Artemis had his mind wiped, he starts reverting to his old self: the more cold and calculating person he was. But for some reason, he feels wrong when pulling his plans and his conscience keeps nagging at him when it didn't before. With Artemis being mind-wiped we really see just how he's improved as a person. We see the difference between what he was like before he met the fairies and how he was like when he remembered them. All these incidents made him the better person he is today.

Villain:
I've realized we don't see a lot of female villains, especially with books that have male protagonists. But Opal was a good villain, I think she's Artemis' female equivalent (you know, without all the evil and malice).

Other Characters:
The bonds between the characters are very much shown. It was quite tragic when one of these characters died, unlike the usual death of a central character. I actually felt something when they died and I could see how the loss was heavy blow to everyone else. All I have to say is Colfer sure makes epic characters that you can't help but be attached to.

Other Comments:
By now I've realized (and hopefully you as well) that Colfer's books, although intertwined, each have a separate story and antagonist. With this, I don't think that readers will feel bored or angry as there are no annoying cliffhangers. Each book has a definite beginning, middle and an ending that wraps everything up.

Overall:
Quirky and humorous writing, a lovable cast, a solid and detailed universe, and a main character that you'll love, definitely a worthwhile series for all ages!

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful hardcover books, July 15 2012
I recently ordered The time paradox and The Opal deception from this series. Both are in good shape and brand new. Only thing I'd point out : The Opal deception hardcover doesn't have the same cover as the one shown on the picture. I specifically chose the hardcovers to get the orignal covers (without the characters and stuff). I won't return this item for a cover, but I must say I was disappointed to see it wasn't the same as shown on the picture.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Continuation, Feb. 27 2011
This review is from: Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception (Paperback)
The Opal Deception is a wonderful continuation to the Artemis Fowl series. Building upon the character development that dominated the first three books, this addition to the series makes drastic advances to Artemis' character in particular. The stories also seem to take a slightly darker, more serious turn, while still maintaining the classic humor of the series. All in all this is a great example of a series that grows with both the main character and the readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Artemin Fowl; Opal Deception, April 10 2009
Eliah Bailey (Calgary Canada) - See all my reviews
Agreat listen on audio book. Nathaniel Parker realy brings the charactors to life. A must get!

Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception
Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception by Eoin Colfer (Paperback - July 14 2009)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49