Published on June 10 2012 by Fantasy's Ink

3.0 out of 5 stars Unique main character but not as gripping as I was hoping
Published 4 months ago by The Baking Bookworm

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky and humorous writing, a lovable cast, a solid and detailed universe, and a main character that you'll love, June 10 2012
This review is from: Artemis Fowl (Paperback)
Cover:
I do like the new cover for the Artemis Fowl series (the cover shown is the new reissued cover), especially since they're illustrated. What does annoy me is when they release a good number of books with the old covers and then halfway through suddenly decide to issue new covers. Very annoying, especially for people who have been following the series from the beginning.

Writing:
The narrator had a strong presence in the book and the writing had its own unique style that stood out (many have compared the series to J.K. Rowling). The writing was quirky and humorous and never once treated the readers like idiots (something I've been seeing a lot in YA). I also loved how the prologue and epilogue treated the entire story like a criminal report.

Setting:
At the beginning of the book, we found ourselves in Ho Chi Minh City and later on (and for the most part of the book) in Fowl Manor located in Ireland (I believe that Eoin Colfer is an Irish author). What was truly fascinating about Artemis Fowl though was the fairies. Yes, fairies. Fairies reside in The Lower Elements (basically underground) and have escaped human notice for centuries. I liked the fact that they were short creatures around a meter tall (lately I've been seeing a lot of tall, beautiful fey in books). Fairies is a general term; there are a lot of species such as elves, sprites, dwarves, goblins, etc. The LEP (The Lower Elements Police) are the law enforces in the Lower Elements. I loved this richly crafted world, everything was explained so thoroughly. But the LEP technology was a bit hard to grasp (my only problem with the book).

Plot:
As I hope you've read in the summary, Artemis, our protagonist and boy genius, kidnaps a fairy in the hopes of rebuilding his family fortune. The whole book involved Artemis and his schemes as well as the LEP trying to rescue the hostage. Definitely a worthwhile plot as I went back and forth between Artemis and the LEP wondering what would happen next. Even though Artemis is our protagonist, throughout the whole book, I had no idea if he would succeed in the end.

Main Character:
Artemis Fowl II was my favourite character in the book (usually the main character is never my favorite). In the beginning, we saw him as a brilliant, cold and calculating twelve year old who always had something witty, sarcastic and smug to say. Later on though, we get the impression he's not as cold as he appears and is more kind than he lets on (as well as being very spoiled).

Villain:
I suppose Artemis was the villain in the book (I mean he did kidnap a fairy for money). But since he's our protagonist, then our antagonists would be the LEP. As I already mentioned, I loved the idea of the LEP and it was wonderful for the plot to have these two sides face off. At the heart of the LEP is Commander Root, more on him in the next section.

Other Characters:
The characters were wonderfully done, every one of them had a fixed personality and they were all lovable. We have Captain Holly Short, a captain in the LEPrecon (Lower Elements Police reconnaissance division). She had a fiery personality and a kind heart (as well as being the fairy Artemis kidnapped). Commander Root was the short-tempered Commander of the LEPrecon and in charge of Holly's retrieval. Foaly, the talented technician behind the LEP, was a lovable yet slightly awkward centaur. Can't forget Butler, Artemis' trustworthy bodyguard and servant. There were plenty of other characters, all noteworthy and each having an important role in the story.

Other Comments:
Don't really have any additional comments, but I know the eighth and last book comes out in July which means I can read the series continuously until it's out (I love when all the books are out!).

Overall:
Quirky and humorous writing, a lovable cast, a solid and detailed universe, and a main character that you'll love, definitely a worthwhile series for all ages! I can see why Artemis Fowl is so popular considering how great the book was and I'm definitely reading the rest this series soon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unique main character but not as gripping as I was hoping, Feb. 24 2015
My Review: Being a Library Assistant I regularly get asked to suggest books for kids so I thought I'd better read more books that tweens tend to read to put more books in my tween book arsenal. The Artemis Fowl series was a favourite of Boy 1's many years ago and has been on my 'TBR' (to be read) list for a long, long time so I thought that it would be a great way to delve into books for smallish humans.

I obviously knew about the Artemis Fowl series but I had no idea what the book as about. Based on the front cover I assumed it was about an ultra smart tween who had a lot of money, power, gadgets ... and had a bad streak in him. Kind of like a sinister 'James Bond - The Early Years'. Needless to say my interest was piqued.

What I wasn't expecting was that this book was firmly set in the fantasy genre. When fairies and other magical creatures were introduced I was more than a little surprised but I kept with it. Then the story veers from fantasy to a more sci-fi feel with the fairies and their brethren being more technically savvy than I ever expected and I wasn't sure I liked this idea. In fact, by the end of the book I couldn't decide how I felt about this book in general.

I did enjoy the actions scenes but there were many times, outside of these scenes, when the energy waned and I started to lose interest. I will say though that the narrator did a great job with the various characters and accents (I do so loves me an Irish accent!).

While this was an interesting 'listen', I do wish there was more time devoted to getting inside Artemis' head. It felt, to me anyway, like so much of the book was told from the point of view of the fairies and their law enforcement than from Artemis' quirky take on things.

Artemis was, by far, my favourite character in the book. He was brilliant, rich, liked to get his way on all things and had a devious/evil streak in him that I found very unique in a children's character. I'm hoping that future books will let the reader get to know him better.

Unfortunately, I found the plot and secondary characters not to be as compelling as I was hoping. I guess I was assuming that if the book was fantasy-based it would be on par with Harry Potter (which I realize isn't a fair comparision - nothing is on par with HP in my world). I suppose I also expected to get lost in the book and it just didn't happen for me.
In the end, this was an enjoyable e-audiobook to listen to while I was working out on the treadmill. Was it gripping? Not really. Was it memorable? Perhaps. It did have some interesting ideas and plot but overall this was just an okay read for me. I'm going to chalk this book up to just not being my cuppa tea but I can also see why tweens enjoy this series so much.

My Rating: 3/5 stars
** This book review, as well as hundreds more, can also be found on my blog, The Baking Bookworm (www.thebakingbookworm.blogspot.ca) where I also share my favourite recipes. **

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute book. Can't wait to read the rest of the series., Dec 3 2012
Allison Allain (Edmonton, Alberta) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Artemis Fowl (Hardcover)
Artemis Fowl was written by Eoin Colfer and was originally published in April 2003 by Disney Press.

The story revolves around Artemis Fowl a very rich, genius criminal mastermind oh and did I mention that he is only 12 years old, and the son of an Irish crime lord. Artemis is doing his best to keep his family afloat; since the disappearance of his father his mother has rarely left her bedroom and is slipping more often into a delusional state, barely recognizing her own son. Artemis wants to ensure that the family continues to survive so with the help of his bodyguard he develops a plan to capture a fairy and hold her for ransom. He knows that the fairies have lots of gold and he wants it. After lots of research he finds a fairy nearby and captures her. The fairy, Holly had been out on duty trying to capture a rogue troll, but she is weak because she hasn’t recharged her magic and so she is taken hostage by the boy. She is not any old ordinary fairy she is part of the LEPrecon (Lower Elements Police Reconnaissance) team which is a covert operation team that works to ensure that humans never learn about the fairies underground fortress. The LEP retrieval team underestimates Artemis because they don’t know his secret weapon is the holy book he tricked a fairy into giving him which gives away all their secrets. Will he get the gold that he demands in exchange for Holly or will a covert team swoop in and save her and spoil his plans?

I enjoyed this book. I didn’t really know anything about it before I picked it up. I didn’t even read the synopsis before I started reading. So I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that Artemis was a “villain”. I like that he wants to do whatever he can to help his family and he is very loyal to his friends/workers. Throughout the book we see glimpses of Artemis becoming a nicer person. There are little instances where he makes a joke and laughs inwardly and I really liked that. You get to see that he is a boy after all. I also really liked the other characters in the book. It was interesting to think that there would be a whole police force for the fairies it was as if I was watching an action movie. There was the technology friendly Centaur Foaly and the mean Commander Root to name a few of the interesting mystical creatures living underground. I liked Holly though at times I found her irritating; I think that she will play a role in the future books so I look forward to getting to know not only her but the other characters more.

Something I liked about the book was the code on the front cover and throughout the book. It is a string of Gnommish symbols that compromised a substitution cipher. It is pretty long so I didn’t take the time to figure it out myself. Since this book came out in 2003 it was easy to get the translation from Google. I think that this would be a good activity for a child to do after completing the book.

I plan on picking up the continuation of the series this month (as aforementioned in my above TBR video). I can’t wait to see where it goes from here. Now that the final book in the series was released this summer it makes it easier to read the series knowing that you never have to wait for the next book to come out.

Check out my blog for more reviews [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great edition to the series!, July 22 2012
This review is from: Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception (Paperback)
Cover:
I like this cover, mostly because I think it gives a good idea of how the pixies look like, especially the eyes. You can also see Artemis and Holly against a troll, which they face in the book. The troll looks more beast-like than what I imagined, but it suits their description and behavior better than what I had in mind.

Writing:
The writing was quirky and humorous (especially the dialogue) and never once treated the readers like idiots. The narrator had a strong presence in the book and the writing had its own unique style that stood out and brought life and character to the world (I'm basically saying the same thing about the writing as I did with previous books. I'm pretty lazy, but hey, Colfer's writing never loses its touch as the series progresses and is always superb).

Setting:
There was a variety of settings from Haven, Munich - Germany, The Temple of Artemis (the Greek goddess of course), and through the chutes as Artemis and Co chase down Opal. But as usual, Colfer always gives us fresh settings and doesn't overuse anything, so the settings never feel boring or tedious.

Plot:
What was more unique about this plot is that, in the beginning, Artemis doesn't know of the fairies' existence (since he had his mind wiped in the previous book). So we see what Artemis' schemes are usually like when they don't involve fairies. The plot was pretty intense and as I raced through the book, and for once, I wasn't sure if Artemis' plan would work against Opal. I really wasn't sure if Opal would be captured and defeated at all.

Main Character:
Since Artemis had his mind wiped, he starts reverting to his old self: the more cold and calculating person he was. But for some reason, he feels wrong when pulling his plans and his conscience keeps nagging at him when it didn't before. With Artemis being mind-wiped we really see just how he's improved as a person. We see the difference between what he was like before he met the fairies and how he was like when he remembered them. All these incidents made him the better person he is today.

Villain:
I've realized we don't see a lot of female villains, especially with books that have male protagonists. But Opal was a good villain, I think she's Artemis' female equivalent (you know, without all the evil and malice).

Other Characters:
The bonds between the characters are very much shown. It was quite tragic when one of these characters died, unlike the usual death of a central character. I actually felt something when they died and I could see how the loss was heavy blow to everyone else. All I have to say is Colfer sure makes epic characters that you can't help but be attached to.

Other Comments:
By now I've realized (and hopefully you as well) that Colfer's books, although intertwined, each have a separate story and antagonist. With this, I don't think that readers will feel bored or angry as there are no annoying cliffhangers. Each book has a definite beginning, middle and an ending that wraps everything up.

Overall:

5.0 out of 5 stars GET THIS BOOK!!!, May 18 2009
J. Furlong (Nova Scotia) - See all my reviews
Artemis Fowl
I started reading Artemis fowl when my uncle got me the first three books for my birthday. I could not put the book down! Artemis Fowl is about a teenage criminal mastermind [Artemis] abducting a fairy to get it's gold. The plan worked well.

Artemis, Holly,Butler,Root and Mulch are the main characters. Artemis is very intelligent but not physically fit. Holly is very determined and very athletic. Butler is at least 7 feet tall and is beyond belts in every martial art. Root is an LEP commander and the closest Holly has to a father. Mulch is a dwarf and a criminal. Root has caught him a couple of time's.

I think Artemis Fowl is the best book I have ever read! Full of adventure and fantasy I think you'll love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, Aug. 24 2007
I've been trying to find a new series to hold me over until the next HARRY POTTER book--and I've finally found it. Meet Artemis Fowl the Second, a twelve-year-old genius who doesn't want to go to school, is worried about his mother's fragile mental health, is preoccupied with his father coming back from the dead, and who is determined to add to his family's coffers by any means possible. In a word, Artemis is an evil genius, and you just can't help but love him. Or hate him. Or love to hate him. Or hate to love him. Or...well, you get the picture.

Artemis, along with his bodyguard/manservant/butler ironically named, of all things, Butler, Artemis sets out on his greatest, and most ambitious, scheme to date--discover the secrets of the fairy world, and relieve some of said fairies of their precious gold. After all, they have plenty to spare, and since Artemis Fowl the First lost a vast majority of their fortune, the Fowl family needs to pad the coffers.

So off Artemis sets on a world jaunt to discover the secrets of the fairies, and his ambitions and delusions finally pay off--he meets an alcoholic sprite who, in exchange for the return of her magic, lets Artemis get a good look at her Book. The Book, you see, contains all the mandates, rules, and regulations (along with a slew of secrets) of the fairy world--and now Artemis Fowl is able to hatch his nefarious scheme.

Artemis discovers that the fairies must adhere to very specific rituals to renew their powers, so along with Butler, he sets out on a stakeout to catch himself a fairy. Hoping, of course, that he can hold said fairy for ransom in exchange for some gold.

What Artemis didn't include in his calculations, however, was Captain Holly Short. A member of the LEPrecon Unit, Holly, although a small sprite, is very human looking--and can be extremely wily and dangerous. As Artemis implements his evil plan, Holly uses her military style background to hatch her own plan of escape. The results are both disastrous and hilarious.

I read ARTEMIS FOWL in one sitting. Once you get started on this story of the human world of the Mud People mixing with that of the magical beings who live below ground, you just can't stop! The magical quality of the book is that it is all too believable and so much fun! You envy Artemis his brilliance and at the same time you can't believe how undeniably evil he is. You pity him, and you despise him, yet you adore him. As for Holly Short, you love the fairy, admire her tenacity, yet hope at the same time that she spares the lives of Artemis, Butler, and Butler's sister, Juliet. I have to admit that I truly loved Foaly, the centaur in charge of computers and technical equipment. Actually, I loved all the characters of ARTEMIS FOWL, and can't wait to read the next book! Pick up a copy today!

Reviewed by: Jennifer Wardrip, aka "The Genius"

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, Feb. 23 2007
This review is from: Artemis Fowl (Paperback)

Reviewed by: Jennifer Wardrip, aka "The Genius"

4.0 out of 5 stars Odd book with twists and an anti-hero :), Jan. 10 2007
B. Alcat (Hanoi, Vietnam) - See all my reviews
Artemis Fowl is a criminal mastermind, intent on stealing gold from the fairyfolk. The 1st twist is that he isn't mad: fairies do exist, even though they have managed to stay hidden underground for a long, long time. The 2nd twist is that our intelligent delinquent is merely 12 years old :)

Artemis will have the help of his loyal bodyguard Butler in his "little project", that involves kidnapping a fairy in order to ask for a ransom in gold. The problem is that when Artemis puts his plan into action he kidnaps no less than the equivalent of a human police officer, plucky Captain Holly Short of the Lower Elements Police Reconnaisance Unit. After that, trouble arises soon enough, escalating quite quickly when the fairyfolk realize one of them has been captured. Who will win?. Well, to know that you will have to read the book !!!.

On the whole, I can say that I recommend this book. It doesn't have much to do with traditional fairy tales, but it takes some of their magic and mixtures it with an enterprising young crook without too many remorses, and some worthy opponents worth their salt. Your children (and even you) are highly likely to like this oddly original book, and its strange anti-hero !!!.

Belen Alcat

4.0 out of 5 stars Artemis Fowl The Opal Deception, March 10 2006
By A Customer
Artemis Fowl
The Opal Deception

After “Artemis Fowl the Eternity Code”, a spectacular new book was released to continue with this exciting series by Eoin Colfer. This book I’m talking about is “Artemis Fowl the Opal Deception”. In this book there are new laughs, a new adventure, and new characters and old characters. You may not recall this particular villain because she was sent to prison before the Artemis Fowl series was started. Her name is Opal Koboi. In this book Opal has escaped from prison and now she is killing people who sent her to jail. It is up to Holy to find Artemis and get his memory back before Opal kills her and Artemis.
This book is set in modern time, a year after Artemis is brain washed. What brain washed means is that someone loses all of their memory or what the person who is doing the brain washing wants erased. The person who got brain washed continues on with life as before, not remembering what memory has lost. Most books have good V.S. evil but in this book it's bad partnering up with good to eliminate evil. I think that someone who is “bad” partnering with good is really interesting because it is interesting to see how they work together, interact, talk and respond.
The personality of these characters have somewhat changed since the last book. Opal Koboi is very impatient and always wants it her way; she is a very smart villain, so she almost gets her way all the time. Julius Root was very stern, but in this book he is more happy and open to Holy and Foaly. Artemis, the greedy little criminal mastermind starts to change in the book, he thinks about being just a regular boy, enjoying life and quitting crime. Holy’s personality hasn’t changed; she is still really focused on her job, but this time she is in grave danger. Holy is extremely focused on not getting arrested by the Leprecon police, finding Artemis and not getting killed by Opal Koboi. Artemis's dad is now talking to Artemis about quitting crime and becoming a better father. He also talks about the Fowl family becoming a regular family. Butler, now older than he was before is now slower to help save Artemis, but is still protecting Artemis as best he can.
The theme of this book is revenge. For example; Opal is out to kill everyone who sent her to jail. Friendship, is shown by Holy and Artemis depending on their friendship to save one another. Also, another example is if it wasn’t for Artemis’s friendship with Butler, Butler wouldn’t be looking for Artemis. Finally survival, this is demonstrated by Holy and Artemis trying to survive Opal’s treacherous plans to kill them. Also, it is demonstrated by Foaly trying to survive Opal’s horrible plans.
This is a fiction book because in real life a 13 year old kid wouldn’t be a criminal master mind, fairies don’t just pop out of nowhere and centaurs don’t exist in present time. This book is a very suspenseful book because it is very exciting, suspenseful, and descriptive and page turning. I think this book stands out because a bad person is actually our hero, in most books a “good” person is our hero but not in this book. I also think that Eoin Colfer has done a really great job on this book because the writing paints a picture in the reader’s head and the words make it very exciting. I also think that this is better than the previous book because it has more of a problem, more page turning and more excitement.
I would rate this book 9 out of ten stars because it paints a picture in my head, it had some funny parts and it had very sad parts. I highly recommend this book because it has an exciting plot, descriptive words, an exciting adventure and it teaches something to the reader. If you are some one who likes Eoin Colfer books, you should read this book. If you are someone who is looking for a new book to start try this book. Lastly, if you are someone who likes “darker” type of books you might want keep this book in mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Dec 30 2004
Adam Kolacz (St. Albert, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Artemis Fowl (Hardcover)
Artemis Fowl is a 12-year-old criminal mastermind who needs fast money. He plans to steal the fairies' gold. These are not your ordinary "pot of gold fairies": these fairies have future technology and deadly weapons. Artemis, along with his trusty sidekick, Butler, find that the easiest way to get the gold is to hold one of the fairies hostage. He sends Butler out one night to capture a fairy. Butler comes back successfully with a tiny fairy named Captain Holly Short. To their surprise, Holly is one of the LEPrecon's (the CIA of the fairies) best employees. So the fairies' commander, Colonel Root, will stop at nothing to get her back.
I was captured by this book. Artemis Fowl was more than I expected. I expected a book about some fairies trying to protect the "end of the rainbow" because a 12-year-old dope got a crazy idea. No way! This book had action combined with fantasy, just what I like in a book. So I urge you to read, not just one book, but the whole series about the one and only, Artemis Fowl.

Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception
Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception by Eoin Colfer (Paperback - July 14 2009)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49