5.0 out of 5 stars So Much Fun!, Jan. 22 2012
This review is from: The Heroes of Olympus, Book Two: The Son of Neptune (Hardcover)
This is a really fun second book in the Heroes of Olympus series. It is true to Riordan's style of fun, mystery and adventure with humour and mythology. I read it to my son and he was riveted, often laughing so hard we had to stop and re-read parts.

Like the last book in this series, there's both Greek and Roman mythology. I love how Riordan incorporates both, staying true to the spirit of each.

And Percy Jackson fans will be happy to have Percy back. It is great to see him again, but I like how he shares the spotlight with Hazel and Frank, kids from Camp Jupiter, the Roman demigod camp. They are great additions, they have complications of their own, but this only makes us feel for them even more.

There are also some great tensions set up between some of the characters and not all of the mysteries are solved, leaving the way for the rest of the series. I know when we finished, my son made me look up when the next book is coming out - he can hardly wait until the fall.

These are such great books for kids, they hit on so many of the things they like wacky funny parts, suspenseful adventure, and they are true to ancient mythology while being relevant and fresh. They are also challenging and engaging enough for younger readers and entertaining enough for older readers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Percy Jackson Returns A Roman, Oct. 28 2011
Alison S. Coad (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
"The Son of Neptune" is the second in Rick Riordan's Heroes of Olympus series, and features the return of Percy Jackson, albeit a Percy Jackson with amnesia. He finds himself in the Oakland Hills, being chased by two gorgons who keep coming back to life no matter how often he kills them. He is saved by Hazel and Frank, two kids who turn out to be the children of Pluto and Mars, respectively, and Percy himself is taken in at Camp Jupiter as the son of Neptune, as opposed to Poseidon. Of course a quest awaits; in this case, Gaea the Earth Goddess is awakening and plans to destroy the gods and humans with the help of the titans; in the meantime, she's kidnapped Thanatos, the Greek god of Death, and therefore individuals who have been killed can be brought back to life again. It's up to Percy, Hazel and Frank to find Thanatos and free him, with the consequences of failure being, essentially, the destruction of the Earth.... I'm enjoying this series, although not as much as the original Percy Jackson and the Olympians books; Roman gods and demigods just aren't as much fun as the Greek equivalents, to my mind. This novel features Riordan's breakneck pacing and breathless adventure, while also permitting the reader to become acquainted with the characters with some degree of depth, a feat that can be difficult to manage if there's too much action going on all the time. Riordan handles that aspect of story-telling deftly and as usual, he leaves one waiting with bated breath for the next installment in the series. Recommended, but you'll need to have at least read "The Lost Hero," Book 1 in the Heroes of Olympus series, before tackling this one, and it's even better if you've read the five books of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians cycle as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one amazing read!, Dec 12 2011
I like the flow of the story where we read from the different points of Percy, Hazel and Frank. I've seen the movie Percy Jackson and the Ligtning Thief and after watching and enjoying the movie I bought the first book. As always I loved the book more so than the movie, and ended up getting the entire box set.

Now I believe the The Heroes of Olympus is a spin-off series of the Percy Jackson series so I don't know much about it.

We follow Percy, son of Neptune, Frank son of Mars, and Hazel daughter of Pluto as they go on a quest to release Death from the clutches of evil Earth Goddess Gaea! If you don't know much about mythology then not to worry because Rick writes with extreme detail that is on par with J.K. Rowling herself.

I find myself giggling reading some of the witty banter that Percy projects. It's that good! If you're a Harry Potter fan be sure to check this series out. Mythology, mystery, adventure and romance all in one epic read!

5.0 out of 5 stars son of neptune, Oct. 15 2011
a very good book. a perfect mix of suspense and action as each page you read takes you closer to finding out the truth of the second great prophecy(first great prophecy in the percy jackson & the olympians series).

5.0 out of 5 stars mac, July 23 2012
Amazing book! By an amazing author! the son of neptune will have its readers swept away in its fantastical plot! Like me, i guarantee you won't won't to put the book down. Each page is filled with action, no boring parts :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, Oct. 23 2013
This book came in great shape! Almost perfect I was very impressed. I haven't read it yet so I can tell how it is. But Im sure it will be as good as Rick Riodrdan's other books

5.0 out of 5 stars my daughter's favorite Percy series, Jan. 14 2014
Your kids will love it! and maybe you too. Better than the original series per my daughter. Hope they are able to keep the movies coming for these.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, Dec 28 2013
my son is very excited about this book. He just loves the Percy Jackson series and I know he'll be totally into this series as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVEEEEEE ITTTT!!!!!, Aug. 7 2013
Words can't explain how much I love this series. Rick Riordan is an amazing writing, he takes his readers on wonderful journey!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Heroes of Olympus, Book Two, Nov. 8 2011
Excellent! I didn't stop reading until i finished it. Amazing story and writer too!I have most of his books. Loved it very much!

The Heroes of Olympus, Book Two: The Son of Neptune
The Heroes of Olympus, Book Two: The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan (Hardcover - Oct. 4 2011)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.72