5.0 out of 5 stars If you love dragons this series is for you!
Anne McCaffrey has stolen my heart with the Dragons of Pern Series. The first chapter may not grab you instantly, HOWEVER, hang on your dragon's saddle straps after that because her characters and dragons come to life and all you want to be is a dragonrider! This series is definitely a collector series.
Published on Feb. 27 2011 by K. Rhodenizer

3.0 out of 5 stars resonse to "A Reader" 5/23/01
Published on Sept. 3 2001 by cat lady

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love dragons this series is for you!, Feb. 27 2011
K. Rhodenizer "K. Rhodenizer" (Nova Scotia, Canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Past and present meet to decide the future of Pern, June 26 2004
Jeanne Tassotto (Trapped in the Midwest) - See all my reviews
This 1991 entry into the long running series begins with the rediscovery of the computer left by the first settlers to Pern. This computer, named AIVAS, complete with its vast store of knowledge, had managed to stay operational in the intervening 2,500 plus years since the settlers had been forced to flee the original settlement. In that time the settlers had developed a new society and found methods to deal with the menacing Thread that periodically attacked their world but had lost many of the technologies that their ancestors had brought with them from Earth. Now that AIVAS was available to them the people of Pern would have the opportunity to regain this knowledge, but at what cost to their society?
Favorite characters from previous novels are here, Jaxom and his white dragon Ruth, Master Harper Robinthon, dragonriders Lessa, F'Lar and their son F'lessan and numerous others. We see how the people and dragons of Pern adapt to the changes in their world and rise to met the challenges these changes have brought about.
For long time fans of the series there is a fear that this is the end of the saga but it appears that there are other entries writen more recently. In any case this is a must read for any fan of the series. It is not, however, a good place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying wrap-up, Feb. 6 2004
T. Joyce (Chandler, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
I found this book to be a very satisfying wrap-up to the series. Highly recommended to die-hard Pern fans who have read every other scrap of Pern they could get their hands on!

4.0 out of 5 stars The end of thread (or at least the last fall), June 6 2003
A.J.W. "wcu_rosebud" (robbinsville, nc United States) - See all my reviews
This book tells how the dragonriders with the help of an AI and Lord Jaxom managed to make the current fall of thread the last. The White Dragon Ruth also does something that no dragon has done before or since. I would definatly recommend this book to Pern fans. Anyone who hasn't read any of the other Pern books might want to read up before starting this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent culmination to years of storytelling, May 1 2003
Edie (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I found All the Weyrs to be the most satisfying of the newer Pern books written in the 90's. Here McCaffrey takes on a plotline set up in Renegades and DragonsDawn. The book details a lot of technology introduced by the computer Aivas which was uncovered at the end of Renegades. But somehow reading about the characters learning about technology is not incredibly dry but rather entertaining. One of my favorite aspects of McCaffrey's writing is the simple and sweet voices of the dragons in speech. Here, Aivas, the computer, takes on a persona that is more sophisticated than the dragons but equally sweet. The venture to rid Pern of Thread involves ventures into space, some of which made me mentally balk at going "between" to a space ship. Also the book introduces the future political upheavals and problems with the introduction of the new technologies. All of our favorite charactors are here, particularly Jaxom and Sharra, Robinton, Lytol and of course F'lar and Lessa.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, but sad, April 6 2003
"shmichael10" (Atlanta, Georgia) - See all my reviews
In All The Weyrs of Pern, Flar and Lessa, in their exploration of the southern continant, come across Landing, the small city that the first colonists set up upon arrival on Pern. Later, due to a Volcanic eruption and thread, they moved to the northern continent. Unfortunatly, they had to leave Aivis, their voice-ativated artificial intellegence behind. Now they have found Aivis again, and, through the help of Aivis, and the cooperation of all the weyrs of Pern, they have a chance of ridding Pern of thread forever. But victory does not come freely and with the greatest loss, and some disagree . . . In my opinion, this is the perfect end to a series, although Dolphins of Pern is also very good. I highly recomend it to anyone who is interested in reading it, and anyone who isn't anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars All The Weyrs Of Pern, March 7 2003
By A Customer
All The Weyrs Of Pern is a book by Anne McCaffrey. When Piemur, Jancis, and Jaxom are trying to uncover secrets the Ancients left behind, they stumble across the Aivas, or Artificial Intelligence Voice Adress System, a machine that the Ancients used. The Weyrleadrs, who have forever sought to free Pern from Thread forever, have found their solution! Aivas is a high-speed data bank as well. The Weyrs unite to go on a perilous mission to move the Red Star into a different orbit. Yet, with the victory, comes tragedy; tragedy that will affect all the people of Pern...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Story, Poor Continuity, Jan. 21 2003
wysewomon "wysewomon" (Paonia, CO United States) - See all my reviews
In _All the Weyrs of Pern_ the large cast of characters from the Dragonrider and Harper Hall books, with the help of the Ancient AI device unearthed at the end of _Renegades_, settle down to their ultimate task: Ridding Pern of Thread for once and for all.
I've read all the Pern books over and over since I first discovered them in eighth grade -- _Dragonquest_ was the first book I bought with my own money. In the main, I really enjoy them. Anne McCaffrey writes well and her ideas are very original, particularly in the earlier books in the series. Some of the later volumes have not thrilled me, however. _Renegades_ I found particularly unmoving, so I picked up ATW with some trepidation the first time. But this is the Dragonriders series at its best, with all the characters the reader has come to know and love facing challenges with fortitude and even humour.
I don't argue that McCaffrey is a great storyteller. She is at her best in situationally-driven stories (rather than character-driven), particularly those where her charcters are put in a new, alien and/or hostile environment where they must develop the skills to succeed in various tasks. This is part of what makes her Dragonrider series appealing to fans of straight science fiction as well as fans of fantasy. And as the basic theme of ATW, it makes for an absorbing read.
McCaffrey needs a continuity editor, however. As her world becomes more and more complex it seems she has trouble keeping track of the details. Unfortunately, I am the kind of person who is bothered by this.
Is Jancis a Mastersmith or a journeyman smith? She seems to be both, often in the same paragraph. And how did she come to be Fandarel's granddaughter when he formerly stated he had no wife, only his work? How did Sharra appear at landing to exchange a significant glance with Jancis, when before and after that single incident it was clearly stated she wasn't there at all? Why is Menolly telling AIVAS about her three children when in _Dolphins_ at a later date she is shown to be pregnant with only the second? How did Lord Oterel appear in _Dolphins_, long after the close of ATW, when he died before ATW ended? These are just some of the details that distracted me.
But, well, this is still a great book and one that really ties up the Pern series. I could only wish that Anne McCaffrey had ended here.

5.0 out of 5 stars san, Jan. 5 2002
By A Customer
when i first started reading this book i admit that it started out somewhat slow. This was my first pern novel and since then i have been a loyal reader of MaCaffreys books.This story truly tells it from the diffrent points of view from every major character. I found that she slightly changed around some of the peoples personalities. The way this story was told and how it ended i definently give it 5 stars

3.0 out of 5 stars resonse to "A Reader" 5/23/01, Sept. 3 2001
cat lady (Catskill Mountains) - See all my reviews
Lessa has always been kindy of "witchy" (to use a non-profane term) so I don't agree with you about that inconsistency. I do agree about Jaxom though, he does seem to be born under a lucky star, in spite of his origins. I love the book, simply because I love reading about my friends of Pern. The main thing that bothers me about this book, and I haven't seen any one else pick this up is: Piemur falls in love with Jancis, MasterSmnith Fanderel's grandaughter. Except Fanderel never married, remember in White Dragon, Lessa being appalled at the state of the SmithHall and asking Fandarel where his wife is? "no Wife" he says, "no time for a wife". So, what's he doing with a grand daughter?

ARRAY(0xa696121c)

All the Weyrs of Pern
All the Weyrs of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (MP3 CD - Jan. 21 2009)
CDN$ 53.50 CDN$ 33.71
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available