4.0 out of 5 stars Down and dirty YA apocalyptic fiction
I know what you're probably thinking - yet another YA piece of dreck. While walking through the library a few weeks ago, I saw Enclave on shelf labeled - Staff Suggestions - and the cover intrigued me. After reading it, I have to admit it was pretty good.

Published on May 15 2012 by J. Friesen

3.0 out of 5 stars Creepy as hell
So I don't know why I ordered this book, I don't do zombies. But it was actually really very weird and interesting, considering buying the next two just to find out what happens! lol
Published 5 months ago by T

4.0 out of 5 stars Down and dirty YA apocalyptic fiction, May 15 2012
J. Friesen "Avid Reader" (Edmonton, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enclave (Hardcover)

Enclave is a post-apocalyptic dystopian novel set in the future. After most of mankind had been wiped out by biological warfare, humans survive in underground towns, fighting off Freaks, mutated humans possessing razor sharp teeth and claws with a hunger for flesh - human or otherwise. In one enclave located underneath the ruins of New York City, Deuce reaches her fifteenth birthday, which given the vastly shorter lifespans of humans, is an accomplishment in and of itself.

Enclaves consists of four types of people; Brats, those under the age of 15, Hunters, tasked with protecting the enclave and finding food, Breeders charged with repopulating the enclave, and Builders, who manufacture tools and weapons for the Enclave. Having just reached 15, Deuce has gone from being a brat to a hunter and is partnered with Fade, arguably the best Hunter in the Enclave, and travelling with him, gets her first glimpses of life outside the Enclave.

The book has plenty of action, character development and the world is breathtakingly described. The story is as harsh and raw as the world it portrays. While I would have preferred more information on what had happened to humanity, the novel was an interesting read. It wasn't as good as Hunger Games, but it was better than its two sequels. While I wouldn't buy the hardcover (mostly due the shortness of the book), I would recommend getting an e-book or getting a paperback whenever that comes out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Suspenseful, Interesting, 3am, Feb. 23 2012
This review is from: Enclave (Hardcover)
I just finished this book, it's currently three in the morning. I read the whole thing tonight because it was that good. I couldn't put it down. I tried, when sensibility kicked in and said that I should probably go to bed. However, I couldn't stop thinking about it so I had to pick it back up and read it till the end.

It's hard to describe the mind set of Deuce without having started reading. She isn't like a normal 15 year old girl. Growing up in a world of rules and training, she has no concept of anything else. She's a likeable protagonist, even if at times you just want to shake her and make her see what's really happening. But at the same time, if she did it wouldn't follow her character. That is one of the things that the author did remarkably well, keeping characters true to their upbringing and beliefs throughout the novel. I also fell in love with Fade, and I don't even know exactly why, he's such a great character it's hard to resist.

This book was amazing. It was suspenseful the entire time without being repetitive. It kept me so tense and scared the whole time there was no way I could put it down. It's the type of book that draws you in and never lets go, even after you've read it to the end. I can't wait to read the sequel, Outpost, and I'm sure after that I won't be able to wait for the third and final book either. I'm still on such a high of adrenalin after finishing that book I probably won't even sleep now. I can't recommend this book enough, read it! -Especially for anyone who was a fan of The Forest of Hand and Teeth.

4.0 out of 5 stars The story line was fast paced. Enough detail without ..., July 4 2014
This review is from: Enclave (Paperback)
The story line was fast paced. Enough detail without getting bogged down in it. I was eager to start the next book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Creepy as hell, March 23 2014
T (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, July 15 2013
This review is from: Enclave (Paperback)
I am really looking forward to reading the next book! Enclave was my first experience with this author and I wasn't disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Realistic, Sept. 27 2012
This review is from: Enclave (Hardcover)
I didn’t know what I was getting into when I read this book, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. It reminded me of the set up of the video game, Fallout 3. Something has happened that has wiped out most of human civilization and we are left with weird mutated ‘Freaks’ that need to be killed (or they will kill you). Separate, secluded territories are all fighting for the same goal: survival. Our main character, Deuce, is a female from one of these secluded territories and she hopes to become a Huntress – someone that protects the territory by killing Freaks. It is an honorable position to have within the social structure, but there are other options such as being a Builder or Breeder. I liked the detail of how the civilization was run day-to-day, and how both the positives and negatives were highlighted.

Of course, this book boils down to survival. There are some great action scenes involving the Freaks with lots of blood, gore, and creepiness. Every survival instinct is kicked in, and luckily, the author seems to know what she is talking about.

I liked Deuce. She was a strong character, but she was also stubborn. At first, her stubbornness was a bit annoying but she was open minded enough to consider different perspectives to alter her opinions. Fade was also a great character, but I felt a bit distanced by him. He definitely has that mysterious edge to him, so I am hoping to learn more about him in the future books.

The pacing was really well done. By the halfway point, a major plot change happened which opened up far more possibilities for our characters. Just like if it were real, as soon as the characters felt like they could relax, you knew something was about to happen.

I liked that we got some answers as to how the world got to be the way it is, but we don’t get all the answers. I am hopeful that in future books we will get more answers about what happened and what will happen. Overall, I recommend this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enclave, Aug. 4 2012
This review is from: Enclave (Hardcover)
Enclave is an excellent post-apocalyptic novel. Humans live in an underground "enclave" with rigid, sometimes brutal, rules. They live in constant fear of the "Freaks" endlessly hungry, human-like creatures that will attack and eat anything-and anyone. Deuce is a young huntress within her enclave, who, with her recently assigned hunting partner, Fade, must battle the Freaks daily in order to hunt food for the members of the enclave. While she starts out believing that the strict rules of the enclave are in place to keep them all alive, and never questions them, Fade's mistrust of their authorities gradually leads her to see her world in a different way, and ultimately leads her out into a completely new world.

I really enjoyed Enclave. It is a fascinating twist on the concept of the popular zombie apocalypse, with the viscous, constantly hungry Freaks filling the role of the zombies (while we do not know where they come from, they definitely behave similarly). I found that Deuce was a well developed, strong female lead, and that she and Fade work together wonderfully. It is mostly action, with a little bit of romance and more humor than I was expecting. The references to the pre-apocalypse world are well done. Overall it was was an excellent read, and a very good start to a trilogy (the second book, now called Outpost is to be released Sept. 4, 2012, followed by Horde, release date tba)

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed the setting and the world building in this book., March 21 2012
This review is from: Enclave (Hardcover)
Deuce is a huntress, protector of the enclave from the zombies. She's partnered up with Fade, another hunter. He's not like the others because he comes from Topside. Where she lives is deep in the tunnels of the underground where they try to live their lives. Deuce finds she can't trust the elders anymore, not with her ever growing suspicions. She trusts Fade and together they lead a tale of survival, and mystery. Why are there muties? Was the plague the cause of the demise of the human population? Is there a safe place up north just like Fade's father said? So many questions that leave me wanting more!

I enjoyed the setting and the world building in this book. What we don't know is what happened to the rest of the population. My guess includes a virus that more or less decimated the human population while a virus was made to treat it. Only it didn't treat the virus, it made them into monsters.

Ratng 4/5

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Dystopian!, June 3 2011
Tynga's Reviews (Quebec,Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Enclave (Hardcover)
After a terrible disease hit the world has we know it, the survivors were scattered into small groups, trying to survive as best as they could. Multiple generations later, people don't remember anything from the old world and now live in Enclaves underground, fighting off Freaks - some kind of flesh eating zombies. Deuce lives in one of those Enclaves, and it's everything she's ever known. But her life will be turned upside-down when her faith is shaken-up. Can she deal with those new changes?

Enclave was such a great dystopian novel! I really liked the world Ann Aguirre created and really appreciated the contrast between the two halves of the book. She painted societies with such precision that it's easy to imagine the world our heroes lives in.

The characters were amazing. Fearless, layered and complimentary, Ann couldn't have done a better job. They are fierce and even though they get close, there isn't any proper romance to speak of. I like that they were surprising, resourceful and determined in their quest. Deuce and Fade are truly awesome and I even came to appreciate Stalker at the end.

Enclave is harsh and raw and only the strong ones survive. Who will still be standing at the end of their journey?

I strongly recommend this read the fans of Hunger Games and Divergent. Enclave is different, but just has entertaining! A must read for dystopian lovers. Sign me up for the sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, April 23 2011
This review is from: Enclave (Audio CD)
There's nothing I enjoy more than discovering a book I would not have picked up on my own and finding out I really loved it. I received ENCLAVE for review without any prior background information on the story. I popped the first CD into my car's stereo and was immediately hooked.

ENCLAVE takes place in the indeterminate future. Deuce lives underground in the tunnels, where making it to 15 years old is a big deal. For those who make it, they can earn the right to be named. Prior to naming, the kids are called "brats" and are merely named "Girl 15" and so on.

In Deuce's enclave, College, there are the hunters, the builders, and the breeders. All Deuce has ever wanted to be is a Huntress. When she succeeds in her training, she is surprised at being paired with Fade. Though Fade is probably the best hunter of all, he is an outsider, and one who the others wonder about. He came from Topside. No one can survive Topside, yet somehow he has.

Through a series of decisions, Deuce and Fade find themselves out of favor with the elders and are soon banished to the aforementioned Topside. Both of them know that the elders are mistaken and unwilling to listen to the truth, but neither can convince them to listen. So the two set off, determined to survive in a world that is totally different from everything Deuce has ever known.

Deuce and Fade must face many obstacles, including the Freaks (think zombies), gangs, and a city in total ruins. Gangs see Deuce as simply a vehicle for breeding, but she soon shows them her skills with weapons. Fade and Deuce are a formidable team, and are aided by an unlikely female. With the help of Tegan, the three attempt to journey north, to the land that Fade's father always said existed.

ENCLAVE was constant action from the moment that Deuce is named to the final lines of the story. Ms. Bauer reads the tale with all the tension and anticipation that is Deuce's world. She gave life to Deuce and her unending determination to survive, no matter the cost.

This is the type of story that lends itself well to the audiobook format. It's a dark tale, and listening to Ms. Bauer describe the world of the enclave and the tunnels, the listener can close their eyes (well, I couldn't since I was driving!) and totally picture everything being described.

Deuce is an amazing girl. She is strong, faithful, and unwilling to quit. She refuses to leave anyone behind who has helped her, and stands her ground when faced with staggering odds. I don't know if there will be a continuation of the story (I need to know how Tegan turns out!), but I for one would greedily scoop it up if there is a sequel.

Reviewed by: Jaglvr

Enclave
Enclave by Ann Aguirre (Audio CD - April 12 2011)
CDN$ 32.91