4.0 out of 5 stars The transition of Miles
Published 15 months ago by shirley chan

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit slow
Fans of Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan saga will probably enjoy the personal growth of the series' hero in "Memory." Miles, cashiered from his beloved military for lying about a serious incident precipitated by one of his seizures - an aftereffect of his cryo-resurrection - falls into a depression on his home world, the rigidly class-conscious Barrayar.
And...
Published on June 4 2004 by Lynn Harnett

4.0 out of 5 stars The transition of Miles, Jan. 16 2013
This review is from: Memory (Mass Market Paperback)
Miles returns to the living but suffers from seizures that effectively ends his life as Admiral Naismith. He returns to Barrayar and is fired in disgrace for falsifying his report to Simon Illyan, Chief of Imperial Security. Miles is given a chance to transition into a new role as the Emperor appoints him Imperial Auditor to investigate a serious problem within Imperial Security. Intrigue, adventure and thinking outside the box are the usual hallmarks of a Miles Vorkosigan adventure and this book does not disappoint

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit slow, June 4 2004
Lynn Harnett (Marathon, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memory (Hardcover)
And then nothing much happens for the next 200 pages, until the precise and unflappable Simon Illyan, head of Imperial Security, begins acting peculiar.
Miles' self-appointed task is to get to the bottom of what has happened to Simon and who is responsible.
Bujold invests her characters with plenty of wit and charm, and Miles' investigation uses standard mystery techniques against a space-opera background, but the solution to the mystery will be obvious to most at least a hundred pages before Miles gets it.
Nevertheless, this is an enjoyable read and Miles reaches a major new turning point in his career before it's over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant !, May 27 2004
This review is from: Memory (Mass Market Paperback)
I started the Miles series early this year. At the end of Diplomatic Immunity, I just need to choose my favorite. Memory is definitey my choice. Action may be light in this book. However this book is not about action. Memory is about Miles as a person, his self examination and growth . He faces his crossroad plus all the little devils accumulated in his 30 years life. Miles' transition from the little admiral into Lord Vorkosigan who is his true self is just brilliantly written. I found myself liking the new Miles more. Memory is a treasure.

4.0 out of 5 stars The big 30 hit back, May 14 2004
This review is from: Memory (Mass Market Paperback)
One of the darker books in the series but none the less its a Bujold book and that means "the best" the 4 stars is compared to her work, compared to others it would bea five sionce that's as far as this scale lets us go. Miles and IMPSEC part company, then when something happens to a friend on the inside, Miles goes over IMPES's head...

5.0 out of 5 stars When in doubt, Jan. 18 2004
Peggie Duggan (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memory (Mass Market Paperback)
I've owed a review on this book for years. Just this past week, I realized that when I'm scared, I read Dick Francis for reassurance and when I face an ethical decision, I read Miles Vorkosigan in all his glorious forward momentum. This particular story has Miles turning himself and his world inside out in search of constancy and himself and his relationship to the outer reality - as always, Lois McMaster Bujold entertains, provokes and delivers great stories. I've read every book so many times and replaced 'em when I wore 'em out. Miles always makes me want to excell and give of the very best of myself. Plus, I just love Bujold's juxtaposition of characters. If stories are the coin of the realm, I am always richer when I meet up with Miles Vorkosigan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Excellent Vorkosigan Novel, Aug. 8 2003
David A. Lessnau (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memory (Mass Market Paperback)
When I first figured out what Miles was going to do to resolve the initial dilemma of the book, I started yelling at the book "NO! NO! DON'T DO IT!" When he proceeded to ignore my advice, I thought the rest of the book would be a loss. But, fortunately for all of us, Bujold worked it out properly in the end. An absolutely wonderful book on par with "Mirror Dance." I'm not sure why Bujold felt it was time for Miles to move on. But, she did it well. This is the definite, no-going-back transition point. A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorites, July 31 2003
Jo Carter (Cedar Crest, NM USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memory (Hardcover)
While this book could probably stand on its own, I think it's best suited for those who have followed Miles through all his earlier adventures. Memory marks the point in his life where he graduates from the hyper-kinetic activities of Admiral Naismith to having equally thrilling adventures as the grown up Lord Miles Vorkosigan. The problems he has making this switch make more sense if you know exactly what he's giving up in this transition.
I first read Memory when I was about 30 years old, and it struck a chord in me. I now reread it whenever I'm feeling particularly dissatisfied with myself, as reassurance that I can reinvent myself as needs drive. While I love the entire series, Memory is my favorite (with Shards of Honor a close second).

5.0 out of 5 stars Bujold forevermore, July 25 2003
This review is from: Memory (Mass Market Paperback)
Mrs. Bujold has two great strengths: 1) Letting her characters deal with a various assortment of highly interesting situations (and they will not necessarily make the best choices, being human like us reviewers *g*) and 2) Describing the world through the sharp lenses of her words, which sometimes you will not expect.
Conclusion: Read or you will be missing something extraordinary.
ps. for even deeper understanding i recommend you rereread this book and also the other novels in this series too (its not a must to read them in order..)

5.0 out of 5 stars Be still my pounding heart..., July 7 2003
This review is from: Memory (Mass Market Paperback)
This goes into my favorite of Bujold's books (and they're all great) along with _Barrayar_, and _Mirror Dance_. A great book for anyone just starting to read about Miles or those who are continuing the saga from earlier books. A book you'll want ot read again and again! It has a great complex plot, deep and unique characters who will get you attached, a bit of romance, and a great who dunnit mystery!
The suspense is just... outstanding. It's one of those books where you'll stay up all night attempting to finish it, and when you can't you'll allow yourself a few hours sleep before you begin your mission anew. So suspenseful you'll want to flip ahead just to ease the pounding of your heart.
It's also deep. Like Bujold's earlier books, it's not just about plot. It's about each character striving with his/her own demons and discovering new things about him/herself. Both Miles and Illyan are thrown down further than they thought they could go and have to find that they can go on, even if it hurts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be still my pounding heart..., July 7 2003

ARRAY(0xb39b1810)

Memory
Memory by Lois McMaster Bujold (Audio Cassette - March 1 2007)
Used & New from: CDN$ 111.34