Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: Audio CassetteChange

on December 15, 2014
Miles finally comes into his own, leaving the personification of Admiral Naismith behind. A new Auditor is assigned to hunt out an internal traitor at Impsec.
on May 28, 2014
Miles came away from Jackson's Whole with a couple of minor problems. It turns out they were more serious than he thought, and yet he rises above them once again.
on January 16, 2013
Miles returns to the living but suffers from seizures that effectively ends his life as Admiral Naismith. He returns to Barrayar and is fired in disgrace for falsifying his report to Simon Illyan, Chief of Imperial Security. Miles is given a chance to transition into a new role as the Emperor appoints him Imperial Auditor to investigate a serious problem within Imperial Security. Intrigue, adventure and thinking outside the box are the usual hallmarks of a Miles Vorkosigan adventure and this book does not disappoint
on June 4, 2004
Fans of Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan saga will probably enjoy the personal growth of the series' hero in "Memory." Miles, cashiered from his beloved military for lying about a serious incident precipitated by one of his seizures - an aftereffect of his cryo-resurrection - falls into a depression on his home world, the rigidly class-conscious Barrayar.
And then nothing much happens for the next 200 pages, until the precise and unflappable Simon Illyan, head of Imperial Security, begins acting peculiar.
Miles' self-appointed task is to get to the bottom of what has happened to Simon and who is responsible.
Bujold invests her characters with plenty of wit and charm, and Miles' investigation uses standard mystery techniques against a space-opera background, but the solution to the mystery will be obvious to most at least a hundred pages before Miles gets it.
Nevertheless, this is an enjoyable read and Miles reaches a major new turning point in his career before it's over.
on May 27, 2004
I started the Miles series early this year. At the end of Diplomatic Immunity, I just need to choose my favorite. Memory is definitey my choice. Action may be light in this book. However this book is not about action. Memory is about Miles as a person, his self examination and growth . He faces his crossroad plus all the little devils accumulated in his 30 years life. Miles' transition from the little admiral into Lord Vorkosigan who is his true self is just brilliantly written. I found myself liking the new Miles more. Memory is a treasure.
on May 14, 2004
The previous and subsequent reviews seem fairly comprehensive. However, I urge any new Vorkosigan readers to begin with an earlier book - either Cordelia's Honor (about Miles's parents) or The Warrior's Apprentice (to jump straight to Miles). As with any epic fantasy series* starting in the middle may diminish your total enjoyment.
* I would classify this as fantasy, not sci-fi, because of its emphasis on character development and because the plot is driven by the conflict between the norms of Barrayar's "feudal" society and the rest of the universe. The futuristic technology used is taken for granted by the characters and not explained to the reader and is therefore magic for all intents and purposes. I classify it as epic because there are currently twelve separate books in the series.
on May 13, 2004
One of the darker books in the series but none the less its a Bujold book and that means "the best" the 4 stars is compared to her work, compared to others it would bea five sionce that's as far as this scale lets us go. Miles and IMPSEC part company, then when something happens to a friend on the inside, Miles goes over IMPES's head...
on January 18, 2004
I've owed a review on this book for years. Just this past week, I realized that when I'm scared, I read Dick Francis for reassurance and when I face an ethical decision, I read Miles Vorkosigan in all his glorious forward momentum. This particular story has Miles turning himself and his world inside out in search of constancy and himself and his relationship to the outer reality - as always, Lois McMaster Bujold entertains, provokes and delivers great stories. I've read every book so many times and replaced 'em when I wore 'em out. Miles always makes me want to excell and give of the very best of myself. Plus, I just love Bujold's juxtaposition of characters. If stories are the coin of the realm, I am always richer when I meet up with Miles Vorkosigan.
on August 8, 2003
When I first figured out what Miles was going to do to resolve the initial dilemma of the book, I started yelling at the book "NO! NO! DON'T DO IT!" When he proceeded to ignore my advice, I thought the rest of the book would be a loss. But, fortunately for all of us, Bujold worked it out properly in the end. An absolutely wonderful book on par with "Mirror Dance." I'm not sure why Bujold felt it was time for Miles to move on. But, she did it well. This is the definite, no-going-back transition point. A must read.
on July 31, 2003
While this book could probably stand on its own, I think it's best suited for those who have followed Miles through all his earlier adventures. Memory marks the point in his life where he graduates from the hyper-kinetic activities of Admiral Naismith to having equally thrilling adventures as the grown up Lord Miles Vorkosigan. The problems he has making this switch make more sense if you know exactly what he's giving up in this transition.
I first read Memory when I was about 30 years old, and it struck a chord in me. I now reread it whenever I'm feeling particularly dissatisfied with myself, as reassurance that I can reinvent myself as needs drive. While I love the entire series, Memory is my favorite (with Shards of Honor a close second).