4.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone following their husband in ministry, April 9 2010
Canadianladybug "Canadianladybug" (Ottawa, ON, CANADA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: You Can Still Wear Cute Shoes: And Other Great Advice from an Unlikely Preacher's Wife (Paperback)
I so wish this book would have been out on the market when we planted our church. I think I would have been able to cope more with the disappointments of inexistent moral support. But it didn't happen this way so now I am coping with the death of a dream instead. Mind you I am totally aware that God sometimes bring something to death to revive it and make it growth. So there is hope in the future. We both sense that our church would excel in other areas so we are open to anything from God.
In the meantime, I was curious about this book and I decided to dig in it. I've discovered an author who is willing to share her story in being a pastor's wife and how she dealt with the various expectations, disappointments and joys of following her husband in this calling of pasturing a church. She points out that fashion is not a thing of yesterday, that we need to be careful not to become an enemy of our husbands, that leading a church can hurt on various aspects (including criticism), that you can find best friends in your church, that you can bloom where you are planted (I mean each of us have special gifts so why not using them in your church?), the aspect of raising PK (preacher's kids) and much more. She definitively write about all the various questions a young woman might ask herself when she follow her spouse in this adventure of church planting or pasturing.
Each chapter concludes with a round table which contains some thoughts from women who are married to ministry on the subject of the chapter. Also include are some questions that could be used in a book study between pastor's wives. Nothing is better than having the support of other women experiencing the same thing in the neighborhood. Don't you think?
In conclusion, if you husband is called in ministry or in pasturing or in church planting, don't hesitate one more minute and get yourself a copy of You Can Still Wear Cute Shoes. You will find support and encouragement from Lisa as well as see that being a married to ministry girl can be fulfilling.
This review was possible because I received a copy of You Can Still Wear Cute Shoes from B&B Media.

5.0 out of 5 stars How being a pastor's wife can change you., Feb. 18 2010
Wyn (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Although this book is written primarily for pastor wives I gleaned a lot from it and recommend it to everyone involved in the church. Lisa, who is also the author of a blog and messageboard for pastors' wives gives advice that is ground in reality and in scripture. She tells it like it is through humour, personal experience, and information from the members of her site. She acknowledges something that most church members don't, pastors'wives are all at different points in their lives and need to have different priorities. Sometimes they are young and need to look after their family, sometimes they are working out of the home, and sometimes they have the experience and time to help with different church ministries but, they can't do it all. This book is written in a manner that everyone can understand, there is lots of humour, advice that makes sense, and a look inside the workings of a pastor's family life. Definitely a good read.

CDN$ 16.09 CDN$ 10.47